Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Building the door jam frames is fun. I have never installed the flush mount door handles, so you can see my mistake. That space us going to be fun filling back in. Oh and I had to shave the latch to get the hand to close.

Attachments

Reactions: Sequoiadendron

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Any chance I could get some more details on how you've done the doors, and the door seals? I just got me welder, and after MUCH practice, I plan on building a new box for my trailer out of metal. The doors are my biggest concern. I'm very curious as to how people handle this particular problem.

EDIT - You literally posted some details on this as I was typing. The more details here, the better though!

Reactions: Smidee

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Building the door jam frames is fun. I have never installed the flush mount door handles, so you can see my mistake. That space us going to be fun filling back in. Oh and I had to shave the latch to get the hand to close.
Get a piece of 1/4” or thicker aluminum and clamp it flat to the back side, and then weld over it with spots. The steel won’t stick to the aluminum, so you’ll get a fairly flat back side, then just flap disc the front back to the correct thickness. Easy Peasy - you’ll be back to what you wanted in less than 5 minutes

Horrible old video I did a while back, please ignore the poor quality and audio...., but it shows the method...

Mitsubishi Fuso FG cab rust repair 4! ~ small stuff

Last edited:

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Any chance I could get some more details on how you've done the doors, and the door seals? I just got me welder, and after MUCH practice, I plan on building a new box for my trailer out of metal. The doors are my biggest concern. I'm very curious as to how people handle this particular problem.

EDIT - You literally posted some details on this as I was typing. The more details here, the better though!
For the doors, I used 1/2-inch square tubing for the frame. The door skin was 20 gaga cold rolled steel. The door jams are angle and step steel at 1/2 inch. What else would like to know?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Any chance you could take some detailed pics of the door jams, and weatherstripping setup?

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Any chance you could take some detailed pics of the door jams, and weatherstripping setup?
This weekend I can take more pictures. I have to make sure that the sliders for the refrigerator and sink and stove are going to work properly.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
This weekend I can take more pictures. I have to make sure that the sliders for the refrigerator and sink and stove are going to work properly.
Fair enough. No rush, by any means. I'm a long way off from attempting to do something of this scale with the welder, as I just got it last week, and haven't even had a chance to plug it in and try it out, as I leave for the BDR in two days.

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
It's good to see that things might work. But my math was a little off. As you can see I had to remove a fack to get the cooler to come out. One little thing but not a deal breaker.

Attachments

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Now a deep dive. Looking like I'm going to have to modify the door jams to get the cooler to fully come out. But I know that I'm going to need to put the slide-outs on a 1” lift so that it came to miss the bottom jam.

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Can you link where you got your door latches. The oval ones not the round ones. I can find the round but having trouble getting the longer ones. If you already posted this, I didn't see it.

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Can you link where you got your door latches. The oval ones not the round ones. I can find the round but having trouble getting the longer ones. If you already posted this, I didn't see it.
2PCS Compression Latches Black Powder Coated Zinc Alloy Compression Latch Flush Mount Trigger Latch Sealed Large Lever Hand Operated Compression Latch Adjustable for Cockpit Floor Door Cabinet https://a.co/d/eq4qfEQ

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
So when founds run low, what can you work on with the build. Just could afford paint to clean up the independent suspension and button up a few thing with it. Finally tightened the nuts in on the brakes and axle nut. Yes I know that the suspension is going to have to come off one more time for painting the bottom of the trailer. Now knowing this I don't have to remove the brakes to remove the suspension.

Attachments

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Check out Allegis Corp. they have a huge selection of hinges, latches and other products for building a trailer.