Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Did not like all the over prices suspension systems out on the market. And man was it hard to find good pics and A arm or measurements online.  

Attachments

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Then came trying to find spring coils and the right shocks. Know the coils I got are going to be way to strong for the weight this trailer is going to be.

Attachments

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
This is not a week project. I started this Nov 2022. I have a life at times I wish I could put on hold to build my dream.

Attachments

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Yes there are things your going to forget to do and have to undo a lot of work to fix it. Can you till me what I did wrong?

Attachments

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
It will take time to build right now it's all cutting fitting and welding. All which my uncle can't help because it's a one man job.

Attachments

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
No one could figure out what I did wrong so here it is. Some how rolling the axle back into place to be attached. I had rolled the spindle upside down. This weekend 18th of Mar had to cut welds and make sure that the spindles where in the right place. Now working on building up.

Attachments

Reactions: Leeaekdb and Shahn

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Interesting that your axles pivot from the rear of the frame vs. the front.
I might have been look at other A arms pictures online wrong. But we’ll try it out and if that trail does not like the set up its to easy to flip them around.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Okay, that is built not bought, unlike so many projects with the same description.

I can sympathize with your decisions. I wanted a teardrop for camping in 2008. No one built them back in the dark ages, so I went through much of what you are. It took 6 month to get to the stage other teardrop builders called “campable”. 15 years later, I still make changes and improvements.

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Have I told anyone how much I FN hate grinding on inner corners welds? Hit a stopping point. Now have to find cardboard big enough to make a pattern for the inside frame flooring. 

Attachments

Last edited:

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I can definitely appreciate all the time you've put into that. Starting from complete scratch is a challenge although, I bet a little liberating. I am very curious about how the suspension will ride as I've ever seen it flipped around like that.

Reactions: Smidee and PCO6

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I might have been look at other A arms pictures online wrong. But we’ll try it out and if that trail does not like the set up its to easy to flip them around.
I would highly recommend you correct that before going any further while it is easily correctable and accessible.

Consider where energy is directed past the halfway point in the arc of travel (think of a pole vault).

"Trailing arm"