Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
It looks easiest to just cut the tongue and move it to the other side. If your worried about the center bar loosing strength from not having it one piece, you could sleeve it.

As to your comment about grinding, have you tried ceramic disks? I get more than three times the life and they cut way better then anything else I've used.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

It looks easiest to just cut the tongue and move it to the other side. If your worried about the center bar loosing strength from not having it one piece, you could sleeve it.

As to your comment about grinding, have you tried ceramic disks? I get more than three times the life and they cut way better then anything else I've used.
I agree that cutting the tongue is the easiest way to do it and sleeving/trussing.

Reactions: Smidee

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Most indipendent suspensions like this do have the piviot in front if it matters at all. This allows the trailer suspension to "slide" over obsticles rather than get "hung up" on them IE: rocks and logs in water crossings.
Having said that, this is a badass build.
Zim

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I run my cooler in the rear to balance out my front. If you have your camber/toe set properly, you don't need much tongue weight, the trailer will pull straight. When I'm off road I run my tongue weight at zero. I move my tool bags to the extreme rear. Anything on the tongue levers the rear suspension.

Why is the small projects take the longest to do?
Because we don't do this professionally. We have to sit and stare or undo mistakes.

No one realizes how many hours go into fabrication. If they did, they probably wouldn't complane about the cost of custom work.

Reactions: Leeaekdb and Smidee

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
I run my cooler in the rear to balance out my front. If you have your camber/toe set properly, you don't need much tongue weight, the trailer will pull straight. When I'm off road I run my tongue weight at zero. I move my tool bags to the extreme rear. Anything on the tongue levers the rear suspension.

Why is the small projects take the longest to do?
Because we don't do this professionally. We have to sit and stare or undo mistakes.

No one realizes how many hours go into fabrication. If they did, they probably wouldn't complane about the cost of custom work.
So to register the trailer in New Mexico we have to show what we paid for to make the trailer. I’m waiting for the last day to add up everything to show the DMV. I have a feel this amount is what they are going to tax me for register.

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard

I’m using disks like the one you show. For the A army’s I’m going to keep them the way they are. I’m not doing a Baja with it so I don’t think it’s going to be an issue. If I do see it hitting things I would test out nylon sliders.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
For the A army’s I’m going to keep them the way they are. I’m not doing a Baja with it so I don’t think it’s going to be an issue.
Its not a baja thing but a math thing. At least at this point if it works, great and if it doesn't at least you know what you need to do.

On my end, I've been told you cant build certain things, then I learned how it works and built them anyway.

Reactions: Smidee and Leeaekdb

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
i can only see that suspension being a problem offroad.. onroad it should be ok as long as you put limiting straps.. I really feel you are going to swap that suspension around so it is a trailing arm. working on my own trailer at the moment, however I dont have all the tools needed... but I have a buddy with a welder, the rest I can make happen. mine started life as a Police radar trailer... my trailer build

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Thought I posted these pictures but here we go. I have this weekend away from it due to other things that need to be done in life but next weekend more to come.

Attachments

Reactions: PatriotX

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Hint running wires is going to take a long time. Harbor Freight has a spot welder for $175 240V don't forget to get a plug for it. Yes, it does come with the wiring but no plug go figure. The doors I started came out better than I thought they would.

Attachments

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Why is it the smaller tasks take more time than others? The electronics and kitchen doors are done. Ok not fully done but you get the idea.  electronics and kitchen doors are done.

Attachments

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
I feel your pain. I’m ”Built not Bought”-ing a sub-frame, flat deck and full habitat box for our Fuso FG - I’m over two years into it and it still looks like nothing. You’ve come a long way in a short time! Took me over a year just to get the truck ready fir the sub-frame, and it’s been a year since I started the sub-frame and flat deck. I am almost to the point of being able to put up the walls for the habitat box, but then have the whole interior to do.

If it ever feels like it’s going slow for you, don’t worry, it’s going slower for me!

Hang in there, you’ll get there, and it will feel good when it’s done! 576DEC2E-7A27-4D62-AAB3-979A188A595F.png73AE8CEA-30F2-4582-ABA3-E41A9976B7EB.jpeg

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
I feel your pain. I’m ”Built not Bought”-ing a sub-frame, flat deck and full habitat box for our Fuso FG - I’m over two years into it and it still looks like nothing. You’ve come a long way in a short time! Took me over a year just to get the truck ready fir the sub-frame, and it’s been a year since I started the sub-frame and flat deck. I am almost to the point of being able to put up the walls for the habitat box, but then have the whole interior to do.

If it ever feels like it’s going slow for you, don’t worry, it’s going slower for me!

Hang in there, you’ll get there, and it will feel good when it’s done! View attachment 262341View attachment 262340
I love the concept drawing. If only we had more hours in a day. And other life stuff would step aside for us to work.

Reactions: atIOIYIOI