Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Draven
Last Name
Deathridge
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Show off your built not bought rigs here, no hate bashing vehicles if your that petty leave the thread.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I apologize in advance ... this is gunna be a long post lol.
I have a 06 TJ unlimited that I have been working on for the last 10 years or so. it has JK rubicon ( factory e-lockers) axles with 4.88 gears, and chromly shafts, and a Crown JK big brake kit to match. The suspension has been rebuilt to run a 3 link front and upper triangulated 4 link rear, and and the rear shocks have been out boarded for better clearance and length. The steering has been built to match the axle and uses a PSC steering box ( though I really need to get on installing the ram assist). And a flat transfer case skid plate gives me a bit more grown clearance. The factory front bumper was trimmed down to meet the frame rails, and factory front fenders were replaced with flat fenders from a local fabricator, along with the rear corner armor and flares, and poison spyder rock sliders. It all rolls on procomp wheels and 37" Cooper tires.
The interior has a been stripped out, floors replaced, a layer of sound deadening installed, then bed liner sprayed over that to seal it and protect it from rub damage, then the carpets were put back in. A rock-hard harness bar was installed behind the front seats, and a smittybilt bolt in cage gives me a little more piece of mind ( I know it's only a bolt in). I made up some cross bars for the rear cargo area and and mounted a cargo basket to add a second layer of storage and tie down locations. Currently in the process of installing on board air. I was using CO2 but since I've moved it has been expensive and hard to get ( last tank I filled cost me $75 and for that price it's cheaper to go with a compressor ).
It's all been a work in progress and there is always room for improvement. It works well for the trails I built it for to get to the spots I enjoy camping at. I am in the planning and design process of building a trailer to tow behind this on the trail to add a few more comforts. It will likely steal most of the equipment that was mounted to the roof of my compass this year ( it will carry traction boards, water tank, shower, and hopefully and awning along with all of the other gear).

Attachments

Reactions: danwyandt and PCO6

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Started building up my 1995 Ford Explorer 2 yrs ago. There is basically NO aftermarket for these, so it is the very definition of "Built not Bought"!
* Rebuilt 4.0 v6
* Regeared & Locked axles from 3.55 to 4.56
*2x100a batteries, ARB twin compressor, 2k watt inverter, slide out fridge, rock sliders, some armor, 35x12.5-16 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Raceline Bead locks.
So much more ...
Lot's more to do...

Attachments

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
This is my '65 International Delivery. Currently has a running and driving 304ci with a 4 speed. Its hard to find parts for these. Even axle seals, brake parts,...everything is either obsolete or expensive. So, it is currently getting a full drive train swap, GM 8.1L , NV4500, NP203/205 doubler, 10 bolt/D44 front, 14 bolt full float rear, sitting on 37's.
Front axle swap is mostly complete, rear is next.F8A81548-CAFB-4A22-8102-8FBA9147FD15.jpg