mtlangst

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Illinois, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Langst
Nice truck! Good truck. I'm not sure where you are going that you are bottoming out on fire and logging trails. Maybe you are more adventurous than me.

I have the Bilstein 5100's at the top setting and I like it. Only the fronts have that adjustment, so if you get Bilstein 5100's at all 4 wheels, only the fronts adjust, so that IS a "level" as opposed to an all around lift, which lifts the rear up a little as well.

The Bilstein rear shocks will handle some lift as well, but only 1 additional inch. This is done by replacing the factory blocks at the rear with replacement blocks that are 1 inch taller than the factory ones. I have not done my rear but I'm thinking about it.

I'm not sure they are built for anything more than trail riding, though, so I wouldnt go rock climbing with them.

I dont have pics that really highlight the stance with my Bilsteins. Maybe I'll take some tomorrow and post
Mainly washed out FS trails and mud holes on those trails is where i get into problems. My front license plate was just under the winch and it got ripped off somewhere last trip. Couple inches lift will hopefully help.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yeah, I'm at 3.42. Really a 32 inch tire is pretty good. Mine aren't even that tall. Dont forget, getting a tire that is 1 inch bigger will only gain you a half inch of actual height. So spending $ on 33's (or 35's and regearing) wont get you much at this point compared to leveling off the front. The front Bilstien 5100's are about $100 each.

I dont know Fords like I know Chevy. My truck has coil overs up front. If yours does too, then pay to have these installed. Unless you are a professional mechanic working in a shop...PAY to get the fronts done. It still cost less than new tires. Believe me, taking that coil spring off the shock was so hair-raising, I was bending the spring compressor. I finally brought it to a shop, and even they had to be careful. So plan on spending a few bucks at least to have the shock mounted inside the spring.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
This is what my front end looks like now. Would installing bilstein5100 lifted 2” be better than just a level?
Very nice truck. Why dont you go to a 4 wheel drive mod shop (if you have one) and just talk to them and get some local advise. They dont charge to talk.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Nice truck. Do you tow? Does your nose stick up when towing? I tow a 6,000lbish boat all through the summer. Thinking i should raise rear 1” also for towing.
Have you thought about air bags or air shocks for the rear when you are towing ?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Nice truck. Do you tow? Does your nose stick up when towing? I tow a 6,000lbish boat all through the summer. Thinking i should raise rear 1” also for towing.
Thank you. I like it. I dont tow, but we have been thinking of getting a travel trailer. I have had the bed full of cinder blocks, however, and that was enough to cause some rear end sag. If you simply level the front, it will be level. Putting much weight in the back or towing will lower the rear a bit. So if you tow, yeah, you might want to consider replacing the rear blocks with something a little taller.
@Lanlubber just mentioned air bags for towing. Someone else mentioned to me helper springs that will keep the truck as level when loaded or towing just the same as when empty. I have no direct experience with either option.

Reactions: Timbren-Industries
This is what my front end looks like now. Would installing bilstein5100 lifted 2” be better than just a level?
That truck looks great! When you said 20's, I was expecting something else :)

Trading someone else for smaller rims would give you a lot more traction when you air down.

A leveling kit for the front but I would run it, maybe get a skid for the front to protect any low hanging valuables and get some camp gear instead.
Personally, I think that's a great truck and would run it until I wore out the 20's and see where I'm at.
Time to do more research and think about what you need.

mtlangst

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Illinois, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Langst
That truck looks great! When you said 20's, I was expecting something else :)

Trading someone else for smaller rims would give you a lot more traction when you air down.

A leveling kit for the front but I would run it, maybe get a skid for the front to protect any low hanging valuables and get some camp gear instead.
Personally, I think that's a great truck and would run it until I wore out the 20's and see where I'm at.
Time to do more research and think about what you need.
Yea i am going to stick with the tires i have. I have 125,000 miles on the truck now so need new shocks probably so will do the bilsteins all around to give 2” lift up front then do the rtt route.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Just hope you’ll drive/Overland more than I do lol.
Well, most of my driving will be highway, back and forth to work. The tours of little roads, dirt roads, camp trails and going camping, hiking and to the mountains can only be weekends and vacations. I'd like to do as much as I can.

Last few times we were out was first week of November up to Mt. Osceola in New Hampshire, and then a couple weeks later to a local reserve for a more routine walk in the woods. The winter will undoubtedly slow us down a lot. I just have to resolve that all my time off from spring to fall is going to be camp/ hike related, and find the fire service roads and logging trails that will get me there.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Sounds like a good truck! The best tool or vehicle is the one you have with you. That tire is just shy of 32 inches. Not bad. I myself an in the 31 5 or 31.7 range. And I would like to go a little bigger. I intend on getting some 33's soon. With the almost 2 inch front level I put in, that should be fine enough for what I want to do.

Are there any skid plates under your truck? Things can get expensive, so identify you biggest problem in your eyes, during any trail you run, and then solve that.
You hit the nail on the head about things getting expensive, I've got somewhere between 7k and 14k into my tuck just to fix what I felt the shortcomings from the factory are. Thats skids, lifts( i went through a few brands before I found what I liked), tires ( went through a few brands and different sizes), wheel spacers, rock sliders, hidden winch bumper, winch, synthetic winch cable, snatch blocks etc, tune to turn my diesel up, pedal commander to fix the dead pedal on drive by wire systems, snorkel, fender flares, led lighting. And all that don't even include the stuff for camping. And I still have to get a rear bumper thats another 1k or so.

• Wow

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

For me it's less than that. Diamond deck tool box, front level and rear shocks (Bilstein 5100's all around), used Leer camper shell, used Trac Rac roof rack, some lighting (which I've yet to install!) And I just picked up the Chevy/GMC 7 spoke steel wheels on which, in the not too distant future I want to mount whatever 33 inch tires I decide. I already have the coolers, camping gear, tools, FRS/GMRS handhelds and CB

20190818_190604.jpg20201115_164130.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Of course, then there's always maintenance. Im at 100 thousand miles, so time for all that maintenance. Dealer wants like $2,000 to do it, so I'm hoping to do a lot of it at home

mtlangst

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Illinois, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Langst
We have had a popup camper the last two years so actually i can camp with a current ground tent with no further expense on that front. I have all the camp stuff i need already. But i can see how this all adds up quickly. Ive done a hidden winch. And i need new shocks anyway so that is covered. The rtt route could get pricy, but after 8 years when i get a new vehicle the tent and the winch can move over to it.