Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

N
I finally got a chance today to get the Coopers a bit dirty. I headed north on HWY 101 out of Santa Barbara to connect with West Camino Cielo Road thru the Refugio road entrance. Click this link for the full GPS track:
https://www.gaiagps.com/public/L1CKjE35J31jpq3AMAIcYeVX//
I started at the Refugio State Beach entrance​

I found myself in the Coast Live Oak forests in the lower elevations​

After about 6-7 miles, I found my favorite sign​

Gaining elevation​

Then I found some side tracks that offered a bit more diffculty​

Tucking the Coopers​

View of the road​

Then, we stepped it up a notch​

In the end...​

Overall a great drive, 28 miles of mixed paved mountain road, and unpaved service track. I was able to get a bit more in tune with my 4WD system on the 4Runner, as well as discover more of it's capabilities. I swear, the Coopers are part velcro, as I was able to crawl up some ascents that were hard for me to walk up when I was checking out the trail before driving it. I am very much looking forward to testing this truck again, soon hopefully.
More to come...​
no plates??

Get Out! Life is Good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

The rig is coming along very nice. Can't wait to see the end results.

Get Out! Life is Good!

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Nno plates??

Get Out! Life is Good!

No plates yet. Buying out of state delays the registration process/getting plates. I set an appointment as late as possible hoping my custom plates would have arrived so I don't need to spend any more time at the DMV than required, ha!

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Love the Ram Mount. I need to do this because I have way to many gadgets floating around the rig...
I started with one in my work truck for navigation here in the lovely congested Bay Area. It's become a part of my driving routine, so it was a must add in the 4Runner. It works very well and is rock solid!

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

The rig is coming along very nice. Can't wait to see the end results.

Get Out! Life is Good!

Looking good. I love the new 4Runners.
Thanks all! I don't think I will see the light at the end of the tunnel for a while, but I might get some LED lights that will make the tunnel brighter :)

MTN4RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Visited a friend in the Salinas Valley who conveniently lives in a field​

Then got to pull out my buddy's truck when he unfortunately lost momentum in the sandy gravel in a weird spot and sunk her​

4L, locker on, a quick tug, and she was out

Today was good, I learned some things. In the sand, 4L > 4H. Higher RPMS with lower speeds, and the quick option to hit the locker if needed. The Coopers hook up well in the loose stuff, and I figure if I had aired down, they would have done even better. I need to go back when I have more time, try a self recovery [eith another truck on standby] so I can have a game plan in case there isn't another truck around. This is the fun part of having a new truck, seeing what it can/can't do and preparing for the worst.​

Things to add:
- snatch strap
- (2) D-rings
- MaxTrax

More to come...​

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Airing down in sand is a total game changer. We've never been stuck, and we've been in some deep, powdery stuff.
Your wish list looks like mine when I started getting in the sand!

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

There were some trails up in Michigan that had water standing on top of a sand/mud mix...lets just call it quicksand lol I aired down and didn't even come close to getting stuck. The 4-wheelers and side-by-sides that were there didn't air down and they got stuck, sunk to the frame in seconds.

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Things are funner in thin air. It's where I tend to go to get away from everything. To help get me there, I picked up a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium on a recent trip to Bend, OR. I hadn't intended on buying a truck on the trip, but when the numbers add up sometimes its best to pull the trigger and enjoy it! Here is me enjoying it!
As it sits: [11/28/15]

Drivetrain: Stock
Suspension: Stock
Armor: Stock
Wheels/Tires: Stock Trail Editions/Cooper Discoverer STMAXX 275/70R17
Additions:
- 1Up USA bike rack
- Blue Ridge Overland Gear visor organizer
- RAM dash mount for iPad [Nav, weather, topos, etc.]
- Thule rack [transfer from old truck]
The List:
- Full length roof rack
- Air compressor
- 2"-3" lift
The day I bought it:

The day after I bought it:

I will be putting it to good use, and trying to keep up with additions and mods here as I can!
More to be added...[/QUOTE
The Runner of all Runners...

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Many trails await your presence. Give her a few inches of OME lift, some frame sliders, and go pound some California rocks!

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Look at the ViAir compressors too. Iv'e got a 400P and LOVE it. Takes my 31in tires from 15psi up to 35psi in about 2min per tire.