Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

I’m enjoying this little DIY project. I carpeted the top and sides as well as buttoned up the side storage flaps. Still figuring out drawer configurations. Leading towards to deep drawers vs 1 deep, and 1 shallow plus a slide out cutting board or table top slide. I’m curious as to what you all have decided on and how it’s all working out for your rig. IMG_8322.JPGIMG_8325.JPGIMG_8327.JPGIMG_8328.JPGIMG_8336.JPG

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Looking good so far! I like how you used the factory threaded holes to hold down the front of the box. Is there anything holding down the rear?

Drawer depth really depends on what you are going to put in them. For things like toolbags and recovery gear I like a deep drawer. For things like cooking supplies and utensils a shallow drawer might be better so that you don't have to dig around to find small items.

Hectorp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Thank you! Right now with the body anchors as well as a snug fit I’m not sure I will need anchoring towards the front. We shall see.....the shallow depth for cooking stuff makes perfect sense, I will likely be going that route. I will post progress pics as I go.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I’m enjoying this little DIY project. I carpeted the top and sides as well as buttoned up the side storage flaps. Still figuring out drawer configurations. Leading towards to deep drawers vs 1 deep, and 1 shallow plus a slide out cutting board or table top slide. I’m curious as to what you all have decided on and how it’s all working out for your rig. View attachment 135155View attachment 135156View attachment 135157View attachment 135158View attachment 135159
I'm just starting a similar build in my Silverado. Yours is looking awesome. Where did you get that carpet? I'm thinking about doing the same thing

Hectorp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

I'm just starting a similar build in my Silverado. Yours is looking awesome. Where did you get that carpet? I'm thinking about doing the same thing
I picked that carpet up at homedepot, it’s comes on a roll 6’ then you get as many linear feet cut that you want. I purchased 4’ but will need a bit more to finish drawer faces. It’s $2.81 a foot I believe

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Thank you! Right now with the body anchors as well as a snug fit I’m not sure I will need anchoring towards the front. We shall see.....the shallow depth for cooking stuff makes perfect sense, I will likely be going that route. I will post progress pics as I go.
If you do decide to hold down the front you might want to check out the way we did it on The Adventure Index's drawers. The factory tie down loop extends through the plywood and then a piece of steel and a bolt are used to apply tension.

Or you can use a turnbuckle.

Reactions: Hectorp

Hectorp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

If you do decide to hold down the front you might want to check out the way we did it on The Adventure Index's drawers. The factory tie down loop extends through the plywood and then a piece of steel and a bolt are used to apply tension.

Or you can use a turnbuckle.
Thanks!! Your video is what got me interested in building one!! I will definitely consider the turnbuckle if tie down is needed.

Reactions: Boort

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks!! Your video is what got me interested in building one!! I will definitely consider the turnbuckle IF tie down is needed.
Tie downs are always needed... I used to carry a full toolbox in the back of my SUVs without securing them... then I got into an accident and the toolbox came through the windshield, missing my head by inches... I was taking off at a green light and got hit by a car that was doing about 60 mph.

Hectorp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Tie downs are always needed... I used to carry a full toolbox in the back of my SUVs without securing them... then I got into an accident and the toolbox came through the windshield, missing my head by inches... I was taking off at a green light and got hit by a car that was doing about 60 mph.
I appreciate your input!! I’m glad you got out of that in one piece!! This comment definitely helped me decide on the tie down!!
I also added a small aluminum trim to protect the front edge.

Attachments

rooney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Mike
Last Name
N
Love what you did. I would love to do this in my 4th gen but have been worried I won't be able to do it. There are parts that seem straight forward but just worried I won't be able to do it.

You post definitely pushes me towards just trying to get it done!

Reactions: Hectorp

Hectorp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Perez
Member #

Love what you did. I would love to do this in my 4th gen but have been worried I won't be able to do it. There are parts that seem straight forward but just worried I won't be able to do it.

Do it man!! It can just be a box with sliding drawers, let me know if you have any questions!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@rooney

Like @Hectorp said go for it! You can make it as simple or complicated as you want. It can be a simple shelf with a couple of boxes under it. Something like this "Drawerless Drawer system":

One sheet of plywood, simple tools, and a weekend and you are good to go. The system I built for my 97 Tacoma is 2 2x4's, scrap plywood/pine, joist hangers I got from a construction site. The SO and I built it in an afternoon with a jigsaw, power drill, and staple gun. Goes in and out of the truck bed in 5 mins. this setup has worked for me for over 20 years. Drawers were taken from a bathroom vanity that was being thrown out and just slide on the truck bed out on to the tailgate.

Since you've got a 4th gen you can look up the free plans from @TheAdventureIndex ( Free Camping/Overland Drawer Plans! - 4Runner ) and go wild. I build mine based on these plans modified for my needs. I've got details posted around this forum covering various details from my mods, to full cost, etc, and would be happy to help out if I can. Carpet or bedliner can cover up a LOT of construction issues.

Or follow along with Michael and Corrie on their current journey.

Boort

rooney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Mike
Last Name
N
@rooney

Like @Hectorp said go for it! You can make it as simple or complicated as you want. It can be a simple shelf with a couple of boxes under it. Something like this "Drawerless Drawer system":

One sheet of plywood, simple tools, and a weekend and you are good to go. The system I built for my 97 Tacoma is 2 2x4's, scrap plywood/pine, joist hangers I got from a construction site. The SO and I built it in an afternoon with a jigsaw, power drill, and staple gun. Goes in and out of the truck bed in 5 mins. this setup has worked for me for over 20 years. Drawers were taken from a bathroom vanity that was being thrown out and just slide on the truck bed out on to the tailgate.

Since you've got a 4th gen you can look up the free plans from @TheAdventureIndex ( Free Camping/Overland Drawer Plans! - 4Runner ) and go wild. I build mine based on these plans modified for my needs. I've got details posted around this forum covering various details from my mods, to full cost, etc, and would be happy to help out if I can. Carpet or bedliner can cover up a LOT of construction issues.

Or follow along with Michael and Corrie on their current journey.

Boort
Thanks so much. This is super insightful!