First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Hi All,

Just came back from Alaska driving 8000 miles with a Land Cruiser that was built for the trip (and more). It had a bed, full kitchen and shower with hot and cold water. Traveled with 28 gallons of water and 30 gallons of fuel. All this without modifying the exterior of the vehicle. I wrote a blog if any is interested...

Reactions: Staticline40

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Thanks mate. Took almost 2 years to find the 1HDFT/H151 drive train and 6 months to do the diesel conversion and register it. The camper side took 6 months of long long weekends. Was well worth it.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
If you ever decide to convert, I can point you in the right direction. Drive train is about $9K, and then you can get parts for it in here...

I ended up spending around $15K including rebuilding the injector pump, injectors, all the seals, pumps, belts, pulleys, harmonic balancer, etc. The engine is like new. Got rid of all the harnesses to the gas engine/auto transmission and added all the OEM lockers. Also converted the transfer case to part time with AISIN hub locks There are now 4 wires going to the engine: Oil pressure, oil level, temperature and injection pump. It has so much torque, that I got rid of all the A/C logic. It idles at a steady 650 rpm, regardless.

Reactions: Graeman

Thomas B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GUK
Wow! I finally know who owns this awesome build! I walk by your rig almost every day during the week. I work in the building right next door. You might have seen my rig parked on the street. I sometimes take it to work. It's the white Tacoma with the snorkel. Anyways, I always loved the modifications you made on the outside but had no idea how amazing the inside was too! Great write up of the build and photos!

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Haha. Small world...
I've seen your rig. Looks great with the tent in the back. You are welcome to stop by. Just let me know and I'll bring the truck. Sometimes I drive my older diesel 60 series or the mustard 40 series. I am trying to set it up as the 'earthquake' cottage when we don't camp with it.