Build Up in Oil Filter?

• HTML tutorial

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I just did an oil change on my Jeep. I drained oil out of the drain plug for about 30 minutes while I rotated my tires. Everything was fine, but when I pulled out the oil filter it was empty (because I drained it for so long?) and I then accidentally dropped it and there was some kind of build up that came out of the filter... I was afraid it was metal, but when I rubbed it between my fingers it would break apart. I am thinking it was some kind of carbon build up that came loose? Has anyone else had this happen before?

Upon further reading maybe this could be some kind of sludge? I have a very short commute to work (1.5 miles each way) and I have heard that can contribute to sludge... The oil was changed somewhere around 6 months and 3,000 miles.

IMG_20180107_162224.jpg IMG_20180107_162239.jpg IMG_20180107_162258.jpg IMG_20180107_162307.jpg

Last edited:

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

It’s not metallic = no major damage to worry about. Other fluids don’t mix well with oil so you’d notice if it was coolant or another substance.

How many miles are on the jeep? It could certainly be buildup. Are you sure the last oil used was the correct weight? I would run it on the new oil for a month and keep an eye/ear out for weird behavior or idling issues then change it again and send in a sample as Fatboytx recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

It’s not metallic = no major damage to worry about. Other fluids don’t mix well with oil so you’d notice if it was coolant or another substance.

How many miles are on the jeep? It could certainly be buildup. Are you sure the last oil used was the correct weight? I would run it on the new oil for a month and keep an eye/ear out for weird behavior or idling issues then change it again and send in a sample as Fatboytx recommended.

Jeep has 30k miles and the correct weight was used previously. Valvoline Synthetic with a Wix filter. Oil change interval was around 3,000 miles.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Are you the original owner?

No, but I have had her for a year and a half with no problems. My commute has just changed from many miles to nearly nothing so my motor really never gets up to temp. I have read that this can be the culprit and to just continue with the standard 3,000 mile change interval.

Like I said this must have been in the filter because the oil out of the pan was smooth and clean.

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

No, but I have had her for a year and a half with no problems. My commute has just changed from many miles to nearly nothing so my motor really never gets up to temp. I have read that this can be the culprit and to just continue with the standard 3,000 mile change interval.

Like I said this must have been in the filter because the oil out of the pan was smooth and clean.
Sounds logical. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you see it again during the next oil change or if your engine idles or revs abnormally.

Reactions: Tyler.W

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The fact that you dropped the filter and then noticed this issue makes me think it could be something the filter picked up during the impact with the ground. I wouldn't worry too much about it and just keep an eye on it the next time you do an oil change. It could've been some dirt buildup on the side of the engine that got scraped off or something when the filter was being removed.

Tyler.W

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I'd be more concerned with it being empty......
I was curious about that too. I did a tire rotation at the same time so I was jacking up the Jeep and I must have lifted it high enough to empty the filter. There was still some oil in the filter, but it didn't pour out like it normally does when I drain it for 5 minutes.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I was curious about that too. I did a tire rotation at the same time so I was jacking up the Jeep and I must have lifted it high enough to empty the filter. There was still some oil in the filter, but it didn't pour out like it normally does when I drain it for 5 minutes.
I don’t have a Jeep but mine is empty every time by design. Most vehicles have check valve of sorts that holds oil/pressure. These supposedly work great new but over time they slowly lose pressure and the oil will drain if it’s positioned in a manner to allow it.

Super short commutes are not great for your oil, and in turn the engine, because you routinely build up condensation/gasoline inside the engine but never get the vehicle hot enough to burn it off through the PCV valve. Even though it’s uncommon in today’s engines, for a couple reasons, you may very well have a little ‘sludge’ buildup. Enough moisture/gas can cause emulsion and this emulsified oil can contribute to ‘sludge’. I’d consider changing oil to a high detergent one which will run cleaner and it will also help slowly break down any build up you may have.

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

What is the job of an oil filter?
Probably just a combination of silica (dust) and bits of grime that your filter removed from your oil as intended. Then you dropped it and knocked it loose...
If you are worried next oil change send a sample in for analysis.

Synthetic is much more resistant to sludging and 3000 miles is a short change interval, I wouldn't get to worried about it myself.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tyler.W

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

What is the job of an oil filter?
Probably just a combination of silica (dust) and bits of grime that your filter removed from your oil as intended. Then you dropped it and knocked it loose...
If you are worried next oil change send a sample in for analysis.

Synthetic is much more resistant to sludging and 3000 miles is a short change interval, I wouldn't get to worried about it myself.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Tangentially related to the oil change interval: as @Kelso mentioned, you might want to run an oil analysis - they're $28 from Blackstone Labs. When I did mine on my 2000 TJ with the 4.0L and ~127k miles, they told me that my OCI was too short (in the sample I sent I had run almost 4k miles and they stated I could easily go as long as 6k miles, based upon the results).

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

I just did an oil change on my Jeep. I drained oil out of the drain plug for about 30 minutes while I rotated my tires. Everything was fine, but when I pulled out the oil filter it was empty (because I drained it for so long?) and I then accidentally dropped it and there was some kind of build up that came out of the filter... I was afraid it was metal, but when I rubbed it between my fingers it would break apart. I am thinking it was some kind of carbon build up that came loose? Has anyone else had this happen before?

Upon further reading maybe this could be some kind of sludge? I have a very short commute to work (1.5 miles each way) and I have heard that can contribute to sludge... The oil was changed somewhere around 6 months and 3,000 miles.

View attachment 44251 View attachment 44253 View attachment 44254 View attachment 44255
Start by grabbing a magnet and see if you can magnetize the debris. Oxidized metal can accumulate and adhere to carbon build up. I like to put the magnet on the side of the filter before I pull it off, this way anything inside the filter is trapped even after the oil is evacuated.

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

You might consider an oil filter cutting tool. They are only $40 bucks at Summit. I used to open all my filters and check the pleats for contaminates. I still do, but no more metal canisters to open. The one upside to the crazy toyota oil change procedure...

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

A engine has many places for carbon to build up like intake valley, Head drain back holes ect. I have seen this many times in the intake valley when removing and replacing intake gaskets. My guess is the intake valley has sludge and carbon build up in it and it makes its way to the filter.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Your filter did it’s job, the impact loosened up the sludge that builds up in filters, it’s part of the reason you change them.....

A side note on oil, I was part of a fleet study that used Pennzoil, valvoline, mobile, amsoil, and another brand that I can’t remember. The penzzoil had the lowest life in our machines and valvoline was second worst. Mobile 1 was the best of the big brands so we went with that.

Perhaps switch over to mobile 1 and see if your results change.

Reactions: MOAK

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Your filter did it’s job, the impact loosened up the sludge that builds up in filters, it’s part of the reason you change them.....

A side note on oil, I was part of a fleet study that used Pennzoil, valvoline, mobile, amsoil, and another brand that I can’t remember. The penzzoil had the lowest life in our machines and valvoline was second worst. Mobile 1 was the best of the big brands so we went with that.

Perhaps switch over to mobile 1 and see if your results change.
One thing I never ever do is recommend oil. Every engine is different and I’ve seen instances where what works great for one, doesn’t for another. My experience is with UOA from specific oils, not just brands, in cars that saw track time/above average abuse.

When it comes to oil performance the only way to know is by submitting a sample for (U)sed (O)il (A)nalysis.

Reactions: Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
One thing I never ever do is recommend oil. Every engine is different and I’ve seen instances where what works great for one, doesn’t for another. My experience is with UOA from specific oils, not just brands, in cars that saw track time/above average abuse.

When it comes to oil performance the only way to know is by submitting a sample for (U)sed (O)il (A)nalysis.

I do agree with your point, different uses absolutely change performance.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits