Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Loving
Member #

Hello all
I just joined up here and I'm a beginner still looking for a rig. So I'd like to hear y'all's ideas about good solid rig platforms. I'm leaning toward a K5 Blazer, K10 or Bullnose Bronco. I'm familiar with those trucks so thats my comfort zone, I currently have a 1982 C10. But I have also seen that a full-size may not be the best for some trails out there. I look forward to seeing the ideas. Thanks

Carter

Reactions: Viking1204

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

What kind of trails are you wanting to do? Offroad parks? Nfs trails? Dirt roads? Rock crawling? Baja desert stuff? Being wide can be just as bad as being long on tight woody trails.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
XJ is the ultimate beginners wheeler. Cheap, and completely disposable. I've never been to a junkyard with less than a dozen fresh donor XJ's. Sadly only slushboxes are left on the road. You'll need those junkyards to get a proper manual trans.

Check out dodge Ramchargers. Cooler than Bronco's, half the price.

C.L.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Loving
Member #

What kind of trails are you wanting to do? Offroad parks? Nfs trails? Dirt roads? Rock crawling? Baja desert stuff? Being wide can be just as bad as being long on tight woody trails.
Probably mostly off road parks being that i'm in East Texas. But my sister and brother in law live in AZ so I want something i can drive there and do whatever we do there like overlanding to Crown King or exploring the vast national forests there.

C.L.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Loving
Member #

Thank y'all for the ideas. I see the XJ coming in strong, I'll keep that in mind.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
You can make anything work if your mechanical abilities or pocket book is sufficient. Every brand suv and Pick up you can imagine are out there doing their thing. There is no such thing as best unless you want a tank. Pick what appeals to you and go for it, keeping in mind that rock crawlers do not make good road vehicles, they are trailer queens.

Reactions: C.L.

C.L.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Loving
Member #

You can make anything work if your mechanical abilities or pocket book is sufficient. Every brand suv and Pick up you can imagine are out there doing their thing. There is no such thing as best unless you want a tank. Pick what appeals to you and go for it, keeping in mind that rock crawlers do not make good road vehicles, they are trailer queens.
Yeah my brother in law has a bonafied rock crawler full tube set up sitting on 44" swampers. Thats definitely not what I want. I'm thinking K5 or K10.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah my brother in law has a bonafied rock crawler full tube set up sitting on 44" swampers. Thats definitely not what I want. I'm thinking K5 or K10.
My son, to my surprise bought a 1996 Chevy suburban for his family camping and OB adventures. It was a nice clean auto but had 300,000 miles on the big block engine. He went completely through it ( he can afford it)
$20,000+worth of improvements. Custom engine build,custom tranny build, front an rear gear change with lockers, big tires and lift, front and rear off road bumpers, the works. He plans to keep it the rest of his life and he has something that is built to his needs and wants, something that most of us cant do. He has three kids and they are all outdoor orientated.
Lanlubber

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I would also recomend the XJ. Especially if you plan to do some long distance to AZ. Thank of all the money you would save on fuel vs's a big V8 rig. And there are endless options for add on's

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would also recomend the XJ. Especially if you plan to do some long distance to AZ. Thank of all the money you would save on fuel vs's a big V8 rig. And there are endless options for add on's
I would buy the Land Rover Discovery that is for sale in the forums. It's a 6 to $
Hello all
I just joined up here and I'm a beginner still looking for a rig. So I'd like to hear y'all's ideas about good solid rig platforms. I'm leaning toward a K5 Blazer, K10 or Bullnose Bronco. I'm familiar with those trucks so thats my comfort zone, I currently have a 1982 C10. But I have also seen that a full-size may not be the best for some trails out there. I look forward to seeing the ideas. Thanks

Carter
C.L. check the forum threads, there is a really good Land Rover Discovery for sale on one of the threads that was just put in today. It's a terrific buy with all the mods one would want for only $2500. Check it out before you buy anything.
8,000 vehicle for only $2500 bucks. Check out the thread.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Hello all

Carter
Here you go, if I didn't already have a full size F-150 4x4 that is paid off I'd be driving to Kentucky to pick this up, sweet Overland Rig with a lot of the upgrades already done!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Here you go, if I didn't already have a full size F-150 4x4 that is paid off I'd be driving to Kentucky to pick this up, sweet Overland Rig with a lot of the upgrades already done!

I sent him the same info. That rig is the best buy in the USA !!

Reactions: C.L.

C.L.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Loving
Member #

Thank yall for the info. I need to get my C10 sold so I can fund this rig. They are a hot commodity here in Texas so hopefully it won't take long.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank yall for the info. I need to get my C10 sold so I can fund this rig. They are a hot commodity here in Texas so hopefully it won't take long.
Start talking to him, we have all been trying to get this rig sold for him and it wont last long. The guy who gets this rig is blessed.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Like @Lanlubber said, I'd let the guy know you want it and see if he'll work a deal with you to hold it until you sell your C10 if your serious about it, don't let it slip away!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Like @Lanlubber said, I'd let the guy know you want it and see if he'll work a deal with you to hold it until you sell your C10 if your serious about it, don't let it slip away!
MidOH has also shown an interest but I don't see any communication other than one on the other thread. When you can buy a rig like that it's worth driving a thousand miles to get it, especially since it is drivable and wont have to be shipped.
Get on the ball guy's...