Build Ideas

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

C.L.

Rank I

Contributor I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Loving
Member #

Hello all
I just joined up here and I'm a beginner still looking for a rig. So I'd like to hear y'all's ideas about good solid rig platforms. I'm leaning toward a K5 Blazer, K10 or Bullnose Bronco. I'm familiar with those trucks so thats my comfort zone, I currently have a 1982 C10. But I have also seen that a full-size may not be the best for some trails out there. I look forward to seeing the ideas. Thanks

Carter

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Influencer I

Wolfe City, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

What kind of trails are you wanting to do? Offroad parks? Nfs trails? Dirt roads? Rock crawling? Baja desert stuff? Being wide can be just as bad as being long on tight woody trails.

MidOH

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham Callsign
YourHighness
XJ is the ultimate beginners wheeler. Cheap, and completely disposable. I've never been to a junkyard with less than a dozen fresh donor XJ's. Sadly only slushboxes are left on the road. You'll need those junkyards to get a proper manual trans.

Check out dodge Ramchargers. Cooler than Bronco's, half the price.

C.L.

Rank I

Contributor I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Loving
Member #

What kind of trails are you wanting to do? Offroad parks? Nfs trails? Dirt roads? Rock crawling? Baja desert stuff? Being wide can be just as bad as being long on tight woody trails.
Probably mostly off road parks being that i'm in East Texas. But my sister and brother in law live in AZ so I want something i can drive there and do whatever we do there like overlanding to Crown King or exploring the vast national forests there.

Lanlubber

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
You can make anything work if your mechanical abilities or pocket book is sufficient. Every brand suv and Pick up you can imagine are out there doing their thing. There is no such thing as best unless you want a tank. Pick what appeals to you and go for it, keeping in mind that rock crawlers do not make good road vehicles, they are trailer queens.