Build ideas for Interior rear cargo/sleeping areas?

• HTML tutorial

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

Looking for build Ideas for an interior cargo/sleeping solution for my Renegade! I will be trying to build one Saturday!

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Reactions: XPlore

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I wish I was 6'2! I am 5'7
Lol me too, on a good day. I'm curious to see what you come up with for the Renegade. I've seen some ideas on the Jeep forums for Wranglers, but not for the Renegade yet.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm 6'4" and can just barely sleep in the back of my XTerra if I remove the seat bottoms from the back seat instead of folding them forward.

I've been thinking about a sleeping platform/storage solution for a while. I think I want to do a modular system that can be split. This means I can use it when the rear seats are up, or I can install the full console deck and fold down the rear seats if it's just me and my wife. I think if I bring the deck up about 12", I should have enough space to lay down and still have good storage under the sleeping deck.

The rear module will have drawers that slide out and a deck that lifts up so I can have two different types of access. The fitted side panels that will conform to the interior should also lift up so I don't lose storage space for all those little items. The front module that will fit right behind the front seats will have two types of access, a side door to access the space under the deck from the rear doors, and a center hinge to allow the deck to be lifted for more access. I might hinge that at the back, but I'm not sure yet.

All the lifting floor parts will have a length of rope on the underside so I can "hang" it open from either the grab handles or the roof tie-down points. I may also want to put some LED lights in there so I can see what I'm doing.

The top of the sleeping deck should be carpeted and have cargo tie-downs around the edges so my Plano, cooler, and Action Packers can be secured. These can all be placed outside or slid under the rig when I want to sleep.

I haven't built any of this yet, I don't have the tools or expertise. I'm hoping a friend of mine who is into wood working might have time to help me at some point, but he's always so busy that I feel bad asking for more of his time.

I don't know if any of these ideas will work for the Renegade or if it has a fold-flat front seat to give you more space. Feel free to use any of what I've mentioned from my plan if it helps.

Reactions: NorthStar96

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

These all look so nice! It will be my first time doing any woodwork so we will see how this goes