Spirit Lake, Idaho, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
I needed to get the bulk of our recovery gear safely stored down low and provide a place for our dog to ride when we’re on the road. As with anything, it will evolve as we use it but this is a start. Here’s what I came up with and the build along the way. Please note, I’m just learning how to do much of this type of woodworking so it’s far from perfect but should be functional.

Let me know if you have any design or use suggestions that I should consider.

Thanks,
Aaron

IMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2317.JPG
59140220354__E0CADFF9-4768-42FE-94BA-96DFB2BD0E84.JPGIMG_2322.JPG
IMG_2325.JPG
Adjustments.JPG
IMG_2331.JPG
59219789231__F990CA4A-EF85-48C2-8EC7-9408AD19D045.JPG
59219791511__15618C33-12F8-4B83-B171-CFCD55CF955F.JPG
IMG_2349.JPG

Attachments

Aaron Lee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
Thanks! It was a ton of fun. I did a bunch of research and decided to go with that type of joint for simplicity and strength. I made a number of test pieces before I got it really figured out.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Looks good to me. I'm considering building something like this.

Reactions: Aaron Lee

Aaron Lee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
I was driving around at lunch and I have a new squeak so I’ll probably have to pull it out and do some sanding on the top and bottom edges. I may have it too snug against the walls of the wheel wells.

Aaron Lee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
My dad was a home builder for almost 35 years so woodworking is kind of in my blood but furniture and cabinets are new to me. I’ve been fortunate over the years to find some good tools for a good price. Most of this was done with a good table saw and a circular saw with a new blade. I also used a hand router quite a bit but that’s about all that’s required.

I also found long ago that if I give myself a deadline, I won’t enjoy the process so this was all done as I had time and with no end date in mind.

I still have a few tweaks to make but I’m excited to be able to start using it now.

Thanks,
Aaron

Reactions: RoarinRow

Aaron Lee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
It's been 6 months and I'm still happy with the design for the most part. One thing I'm still trying to decide is if I should hinge the front section so it can be locked somehow. I just put a soft top on the LJ for the summer and not sure I like having all the contents of that section easily pilfered. Besides that, I think the design is a keeper.

Reactions: Rolando and Shamu

Aaron Lee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
Well the storage system has been in place now for just over 3 years and it’s still working great. New addition is an IceCo VL60Pro strapped to the top. We power it with the Jeep battery when we’re traveling or just overnight. If we’re staying longer than a day we power it off a Lion Energy Safari LT.