Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

So with summer comes the bugs and the more convincing the misses needs to come camping with me. Just got back from a 3 day trip and the flies and mosquitoes and anything else with wings were out in full force.

I remembered an old scouting tip from back in the day was to throw some fresh leafs onto your fire, the smoke will disperse the bugs. This worked for us but I had to have my fire going from sun up to sun down depleting my firewood stock.

Candles, and bug spray are the only other things I can think of using but they are so limited.

What things and/or techniques do you use?

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

image.jpeg
I've used one of these little fan ones before and it seems to work decently. It is pretty noisy though and only works for one person.
Other than that I use OFF! Deep Woods repellent spray which works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Last edited:

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

I never would have never dreamed that these little gadgets would perform as well as they do... but I've seen them keep a wall of mosquitos at bay more than once.

I have a Thermacell like the brown one in this pic (very similar model) and it works great.
It only seems to cover a small area but, I use it in duck/deer blinds, or while camping and there's a hug difference.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Reactions: murps

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Around our camp area we have multiple ThermaCells (lantern style and portable style) and always have plenty of bug spray that we use liberally.

We use Deep Woods Off Sportsmen.... it contains 30% deet. It's ALL about the deet... lol. (we use the aerosol one)

(The mosquito should be our provincial bird, they're so plentiful around here)

s0521870_sc7.jpg

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I still have a bottle of the military surplus DEET bug juice I bought 25 years ago, but rarely use it. We usually use some camphor smelly anklets/bracelets that seem to work in light infestation, or the old standby, Cutters.

Reactions: Gunnermoose

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
A couple years back I did a anti drug op just outside of Venezuela. I was given a couple products. One I still have but never used. I was scared. You had to spray it on your clothes and let it dry for 12 hours before you could wear it. Not sure I wanted any of that.

The other was a 3m product that I've bought more of on amazon and it works great.

We'll the app won't let me attach a pic this am. But it's 3m ultrathon. It's a lotion and they have a spray. Stuffs pretty good

Reactions: Byron Eby

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

You had to spray it on your clothes and let it dry for 12 hours before you could wear it.
I can't recall the name of it, but we used that stuff on all our daughter's clothes when she went to Haiti two years ago. She said it worked well.

bigfootoverland

Rank III
Investor

Traveler III

Maple Valley, WA
First Name
Johnny
Last Name
Alford
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7YQU
I never would have never dreamed that these little gadgets would perform as well as they do... but I've seen them keep a wall of mosquitos at bay more than once.

We have used the ThermaCell option for a couple of years now and have been very satisfied. We also just recently used Sawyer Permethrin spray on our tent and popup awning and that seemed to help things as well.