Bugs

• HTML tutorial

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Run in circles until they stop following you. When that stops working, start smoking. After that, hopefully it is dinner time so light a fire. Finally, right around bed time is when they are least active, so now is the time to do all your activities lol.

Reactions: murps and Mike G

Runamok

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, Florida
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4NWP
Pee in a circle around your camp site. Keeps all kind of critters away.
Or use tiger dung for more aggressive animals. Great to attract butterflies as an added benefit!

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Run in circles until they stop following you. When that stops working, start smoking. After that, hopefully it is dinner time so light a fire. Finally, right around bed time is when they are least active, so now is the time to do all your activities lol.
Pee in a circle around your camp site. Keeps all kind of critters away.
Or use tiger dung for more aggressive animals. Great to attract butterflies as an added benefit!
I'll test these theories out this weekend

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I've never liked using repellent and just endured the bugs until I found the Bugs Away shirts from ExOfficio. They have built in uv protection and the repellent is within the fibers themselves, not just something sprayed on at the end of production. They have a few other great features that make them my go to shirts for any trip.

Reactions: Road and murps

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

You couldn't pay me to spray chemicals on my skin, I plan on dying of old age. When dealing with these blood suckers, I am using as natural a product as I can find. The following oils and soaps have worked for me. Citronella, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Peppermint. Also I understand that if you are sweaty they find you more attractive.

Reactions: murps

DuvalRover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville , Florida
Member #

Rubbing a good old fashioned dryer sheet on yourself is a secret of the south, works well and makes u smell nice after sweating all day... then I'll stick it in one of my pockets for added protection... otherwise 100% deet is the only way.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

I was reading this thread the other day and while I was in Walmart I decided to look at some different options. Picked up one of these on clearance for $9.00! Haven't used it yet. But I figured it's worth a try.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I've always relied on straight DEET when necessary. Never had any luck with the natural alternatives. @Jensen Cole Mason, I'd love to know how effective that thing is. A couple of those in a campsite (assuming they work, and I'll admit to a bit of skepticism) would be awesome.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I was reading this thread the other day and while I was in Walmart I decided to look at some different options. Picked up one of these on clearance for $9.00! Haven't used it yet. But I figured it's worth a try.

I got one yesterday also along with a $7 fat max 2/8 amp battery charger. Found out you have to be careful when you close the handle because sometimes it'll kill the pilot light.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

summer we like to disperse camp closer to the top of the ridge were wind is. The wind reeks havoc on bugs, next Therma-Cell, another is smoke from a camp fire works well to rid of bugs & lastly Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent work well if you apply it every 5 hrs.
My wife Sally is a cancer survivor & we watch what we put on her as well as my self.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Nice to see folks are thinking about bugs already. Means warmer weather is on its way!

Based on personal experience, I can echo many of the suggestions in this thread, including Thermacell, citronella candles, campfire smoke, DEET spray or rub-on lotions, etc. Oh, the ExOfficio clothing that claims to repel bugs really does work and lasts through a ton of washings. Sometimes I forget what I'm wearing has that feature, I've had it so long, and others around me seem bothered by bugs more than I am and ask why.

All the above are great in various situations, but I've found over decades of camping and working outdoors that keeping yourself clean and using NON-scented soaps, shampoos, shaving creams, after-shaves, etc is one of the best deterrents. Good clear, clean rinses of clothing, hats, self, no perfumes, no colognes, and keep your site clean and picked up. Also read once that mosquitoes are attracted to blue, so denim jeans or shirts, blue t-shirts, etc are not always the best choice in skeeter areas.

A ranger at Algonquin Prov Park north of Toronto once taught me and a buddy about citrus peels. Keep the peels after eating an orange and tangerines, lemons, etc and use it to rub on your skin. Also have learned over the years that with anything you apply, it often only needs to go around the openings in clothes, like neckline and cuffs of shirt sleeves and pants legs.

There used to be an Avon product, too, that folks claimed was one of their best deterrents for biting bugs and mosquitoes. Skin So Soft, maybe? I don't recall.

Last edited: