Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I found myself in a similar position burying the pandemic. I got T-boned hard enough to roll me over. I fortunately want to wait fine but the rig I spent 14 years developing and perfecting was totaled. Being a 14-year-old vehicle insurance company was less than generous about what it was actually worth. This left me with a little less than 10 grand to find a replacement and get back to what I love doing.

My last rig was an 07 Xterra with the OFF ROAD package. If you can find a second gen Xterra with the OFF ROAD also rebranded as the PRO-4x4 package I would grab it. They are mountain goats and can go anywhere. I did very minimal mods to it and it was great. Easy to work on and with so many Xterra around parts are easy to come by. This package includes better suspension, 4wheel drive with a rear locking diff and good amount of under body armor.

Unfortunately I couldn't even find one that was within 1500 miles. So I had to broaden my search. I eventually ended up landing on a Hummer H3 with the adventure package. It is a 2006. I have been happy with it so far. I have finally fixed all the little annoying things you find with a used vehicle to get it to what I feel is up to mechanical snuff. At first I was worried that this being a limited run vehicle and such an old vehicle I would have a hard time getting parts for it. The drivetrain is GM all the way so engine type stuff is easy. Some of the plastic parts and specific body parts to the H3 are a little harder to find but there is a great online community representing these vehicles a wealth of knowledge that makes working on them easier.

If you're going to look for an H3, do a little research so you know what you are looking at when test driving one. GM did a bad job at marketing the different versions of this vehicle. The adventure package is basically the equivalent of a similar generation Jeep Rubicon. Depending on the year you'll get at least a rear locking diff. The later models have front and rear lockers. They also have plenty of underbody armor and a four to one gear ratio in four wheel low.

Good luck and let us know what you land on.

Attachments

DreamsofIron

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Illinois, USA
First Name
kenneth
Last Name
lafontaine
I found myself in a similar position burying the pandemic. I got T-boned hard enough to roll me over. I fortunately want to wait fine but the rig I spent 14 years developing and perfecting was totaled. Being a 14-year-old vehicle insurance company was less than generous about what it was actually worth. This left me with a little less than 10 grand to find a replacement and get back to what I love doing.

My last rig was an 07 Xterra with the OFF ROAD package. If you can find a second gen Xterra with the OFF ROAD also rebranded as the PRO-4x4 package I would grab it. They are mountain goats and can go anywhere. I did very minimal mods to it and it was great. Easy to work on and with so many Xterra around parts are easy to come by. This package includes better suspension, 4wheel drive with a rear locking diff and good amount of under body armor.

Unfortunately I couldn't even find one that was within 1500 miles. So I had to broaden my search. I eventually ended up landing on a Hummer H3 with the adventure package. It is a 2006. I have been happy with it so far. I have finally fixed all the little annoying things you find with a used vehicle to get it to what I feel is up to mechanical snuff. At first I was worried that this being a limited run vehicle and such an old vehicle I would have a hard time getting parts for it. The drivetrain is GM all the way so engine type stuff is easy. Some of the plastic parts and specific body parts to the H3 are a little harder to find but there is a great online community representing these vehicles a wealth of knowledge that makes working on them easier.

If you're going to look for an H3, do a little research so you know what you are looking at when test driving one. GM did a bad job at marketing the different versions of this vehicle. The adventure package is basically the equivalent of a similar generation Jeep Rubicon. Depending on the year you'll get at least a rear locking diff. The later models have front and rear lockers. They also have plenty of underbody armor and a four to one gear ratio in four wheel low.

Sorry to hear about that accident, glad to know you're still alright! I will make sure to take a look at the Hummers, I've always liked them, still do.

Reactions: KD7WCD

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

...I would take heed of @tjZ06's advice and look for a WJ, but with the 4.0 not the 4.7
I just really don't like the 4.0 in the WJ. It's underpowered for the platform (it's adequate at best in a lighter XJ) and the WJ was all about being luxurious and powerful (for it's time) before that was a common thing in SUVs. Also, the auto trans in the 4.0 WJs is hot garbage (it's not the same one that 4.0 XJs, TJs etc. got). Just my $0.02 though.

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I've been looking mostly at the ZJs, especially the 5.9 variants. Given recent gas prices, they have been dropping in price lately. I am not opposed to the WJ though, especailly with my experience with the 4.0 engine. It all depends on what I can find for the best shape in my price range. And yes, I don't think any sub 10k rig will be issue free at all either. but hey, that's part of the fun!
I love 5.9 limited ZJs... but they're hard to find and starting to get spendy. That said, I wouldn't expect any ZJ or WJ (even the 4.0s) to get great MPG. As I just posted, I really don't like 4.0 WJs, but I'm biased. If you're 100% opposed to a 4.7 because of the valve seat issue, then I'd prob be looking at V8 ZJs (even the 5.2 is pretty good) myself. I still want a ZJ someday, but IMHO the WJ has lots of advantages (better brakes, improved susp and steering designs, nicer interior, more reliable electronics - though still not perfect by any means, etc.).

-TJ

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

An H3 could be a cool option. I'm not sure on available maintenance parts though.

I'd be hard pressed not to do something similar to this, a 3rd Gen 4Runner for half the budget and then spend the rest on maintenance, updates, and upgrades:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Maintenance parts for a H3 are a mix between canyon and trailblazer parts. Besides body panels alot of things under them are interchangable with the chevrolet cousins. They are great rigs but have terrible outbound vision inside the cockpit.

DaJudge

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Mexico
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Judge
Member #

The best advice is to wait. Used prices are ridiculous no matter what you are buying. The Chevy dealer across the street from my job offered me $5800.00 for my 2013 Impala! It is in great shape but I wouldn't pay that for it.
And a lot of people are saying "buy an ancient Toyota with 260K on clock", but if you do that, be VERY careful that the maintenance has been done properly. Like any vehicle, they only last a long time if they have been properly maintained. Unfortunately after the fifth owner, they probably haven't been.
And this is not an anti-Toyota comment, just a caution. I have seen several people buy old Toyotas following some forum advice, only to have them die almost immediately! They are not indestructible! However, if you find a nice 100 or taco, 4runner, Sequoia, LX that has been maintained, they are great vehicles and I would probably buy one over anything else with highish mileage.
I love my XJ but it has no power, drives like your TJ and is really small compared to most vehicles available. They are also getting expensive!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I like to spend more to get more reliability. $10k, and you're going to have to go over everything. Which is fine.

.........but there's plenty of Jeep guys overlanding, and those haven't had any kind of reliability for decades now. (and rovers)

DreamsofIron

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Illinois, USA
First Name
kenneth
Last Name
lafontaine
jeez, been a while since I posted in here. Just got busy as heck, and kinda forgot this thread. So, I did buy a vehicle! Been driving it for the last 2 and a half months, loving it so far. The previous owner was a Mechanic who owned his own shop, did all the work on it, etc etc. Passed away a few years away and vehicle had been barely driven by his wife in the meanwhile. not a single issue, got it for a great price. Just one small hiccup. It is definitely not a bigger vehicle, hahaha. The day i got it.IMG_7067.JPGIMG_E7080.JPG
After a much needed wash and wax. This is a 1993 YJ wrangler, virtually rust free, 4.0 with all new seals, accessories, aluminum radiator, and the rare factory A/C. new 35 inch tires, and I got it for a significant chunk under my budget of 10,000. I've already taken it on a few brief trips in Wisconsin, for shakedown purposes and to see what I'd need to modify to better suit my needs. I will probably do a small build thread on it once I feel like I've done enough to warrant one. Thank you all for your wonderful advice and suggestions, but in the end I guess my nostalgia and inherent affinity for the Jeep wrangler platform just won out.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
I gave some thoughts on what you might want to share to help us with our suggestions here: If you're going to ask "what vehicle is best..."

That said, I'm super-biased and love WJs. ZJs are a good option too, but most everything got better in the WJ (electrical, susp design, brakes, trans, interior, etc.). I've written about WJs pretty extensively here, but my $0.02 is a V8 Limited or Overland is the way to go. The whole point of a WJ is getting a pretty well equipped, luxurious SUV with factory multi-linked, coil-sprung solid axles. Getting a "stripper" Laredo is too close to "just get a XJ" to me. Now, the elephant in the room is the valve seat issue with the 4.7s. Is it blown out of proportion? Yeah, probably. But does it happen? Yes, absolutely. Mine dropped 2 valve seats at about 110k miles (which seems really low). It seems like most make it 150-200k before it happens, and I've seen plenty of original 4.7s go well past 200k. In my case, I think it was the victim of a bad overheat due to a cracked radiator when my wife's younger brother (who we supported from 14-18) was still daily driving it. Either way, if you are getting a 4.7 WJ I would either find one that has the heads done, a full motor rebuild, or plan on doing the heads. Now, that might sound like a deal-breaker, but WJs are such a bargain IMHO it's worth it. Even in this absolutely insane market I still see pretty nice 4.7 Limited WJs go for $3-5k. That leaves you tons of budget to do the heads. If you can find an Overland it's better-yet w/ the HO 4.7, the Quadra Drive with Vari-Loks etc. With a 3-4" lift and 31-32"s they're extremely capable yet still very comfortable and daily drivable. You almost certainly will have to repair the driver's door wiring harness (the wires break where they flex as the door opens/closes) and replace the HVAC blower motor resistor as well - but neither is a big deal, and I don't really think any sub-$10k Overland rig will be 100% problem-free.

-TJ
We had an 03 HO WJ but it was the Freedom Edition, so 2wd. We only bought it because a colleagues daughter worked for Daimler Chrysler and had an employee friends and family discount that was about to expire. We ended up getting it on December 31st and back then, not sure about today, the incentives applied to the employee friends and family price. It was a great deal and what a fun vehicle. If it was 4x4 we probably would have kept it but three years later we had another opportunity to use a friends and family discount (just before the split with Mercedes) and traded it for an 06 2-door (half metal) JK X. Not much to contribute except that HO was impressive.

Last edited:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm just now seeing this. As a Nissan guy, I'd definitely recommend the Xterra or Frontier, as I have both.

WJ's are great vehicles, and they were available with a v8, but for the love of all that is unholy, don't let it overheat.

The squarebody chevy's (Tahoe, Suburban) are super comfy, have loads of room, but they come with their own problems.

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you'd prefer an SUV over a truck?

I won't assume to tell you what you need, as only you can make that decision, but I can walk you through my thought process.

I started "overlanding" using a 2004 Chevy Colorado z71. I just threw everything in the back of the truck, and went. This worked ok, but for me, packing up the ground tent, and putting everything back in the truck wasn't the best experience for me. Then, when we added the family, we had a hard time fitting everything we needed for more than a few days back there. I was unfamiliar with any sort of storage system at the time.

I also got tired of breaking wheel hubs, steering racks, and other mechanical parts on a 200k mile chevy. This spawned me starting to re-evaluate my needs, which led me back to SUV's (which I had before the colorado). After doing a lot of research, I settled on a 2003 Nissan Xterra as the platform I was going to get.

Now, let me talk about the Nissans for a minute. There's the 1st gen Xterra and Frontier, and the 2nd gen (and now 3rd gen Fronty). On the outside, they resemble each other, but mechanically they are VERY different. Can you daily a 1st gen? Absolutely you can, and I did for a while. But, the 2nd gen is SO MUCH NICER to live with as a daily driver. It has much more power and torque, has a more comfortable ride in stock form, and is available with heated seats. It's also very good off road. Second gens have lots of mod options available as well. Not as much as Jeep/Toyota, but everything you would need is there.

Now, 2nd gens aren't without their issues. From 2005-2012, there were susceptible to what is called the "strawberry milkshake of death". This is a fault with the radiator that causes the seal between the AT trans cooler and the coolant reservoir to fail, causing the two to mix, causing the transmission to eat itself. This does not mean don't buy one of those years, just that you need to take extra precautions to make sure that it doesn't currently have it, and that you replace the radiator with the updated part immediately, preventing it from happening in the first place. The same years also have an issue with the timing chain guides wearing out prematurely, causing a "whining" noise.

Which one do I prefer offroad? First gen, hands down, and here's why.

• Overbuilt Drivetrain - sitting underneath the 2000-2004 Xterra is basically a 1/2 ton pickup drivetrain. What I mean by that is bolt on CV joints, Dana 60 rear axle, and beefy suspension components. With AT MOST 210 HP in the supercharged engine, you're not going to be breaking anything under there. It also makes peak torque pretty low in the RPM range (2700rpm), so you don't have to work the engine hard to get the max amount of pull out of it.
  • Old school, reliable engine - the VG33E has been around since the 80's in Nissan vehicles, and while it doesn't make much in the way of power, it's damn reliable. Change the oil, keep the fluids topped off, and change the timing belt at the required interval, and it'll go 500k without much in the way of complaints
  • Simplicity - Manual transfer case, solid transmission, easy to build, modify and maintain. There's nothing in the way of electronic driver aids, so if anything goes wrong on the trail, it's likely mechanical, and can be fixed or patched up with basic tools.
I've had my Xterra for almost 3 years now, and it's spent most of it's time bouncing around in the Oregon and Idaho deserts, on rocks, two tracks, and climbing mountains, and it's not skipped a beat. I've had to replace a wheel bearing. That's it. In stock form, with a slight crank on the torsion bars, and either lift shackles, or an add-a-leaf, you can fit 265/75r16s on it, and have 11 inches of ground clearance. I've not needed anymore than that. Mine has 4.90 gears in the axles, and I have a front locker that I haven't bothered to have installed yet, because I've only had one instance where I felt like it would have been handy. Now, I will say that fitting everything the family needs for a 5 day trip in there is a challenge, but we can do it. We just had to choose our equipment carefully. I'm currently in the process of researching upgrades that I would like to do for towing, as I'm going to start pulling our offroad trailer with it. These include replacing the stock single row radiator with a two row radiator from a supercharged X, and adding an aux transmission cooler and transmission temperature gauge.

First gen Xterra's can be had for CHEAP, and doing the maintenance, upgrades and modifications will set you back well under 10k. That being said, they are smaller vehicles, so that's something to keep in mind. It's great on the trail, but if you're a bigger person, you may find it a bit cramped.

I hope that helps. This was a very long post, but I wanted to go into my thought process behind why I choose the Nissan over everything else, since I was considering the same things that you were a few years ago.

Reactions: DreamsofIron

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
jeez, been a while since I posted in here. Just got busy as heck, and kinda forgot this thread. So, I did buy a vehicle! Been driving it for the last 2 and a half months, loving it so far. The previous owner was a Mechanic who owned his own shop, did all the work on it, etc etc. Passed away a few years away and vehicle had been barely driven by his wife in the meanwhile. not a single issue, got it for a great price. Just one small hiccup. It is definitely not a bigger vehicle, hahaha. The day i got it.View attachment 236480View attachment 236481
After a much needed wash and wax. This is a 1993 YJ wrangler, virtually rust free, 4.0 with all new seals, accessories, aluminum radiator, and the rare factory A/C. new 35 inch tires, and I got it for a significant chunk under my budget of 10,000. I've already taken it on a few brief trips in Wisconsin, for shakedown purposes and to see what I'd need to modify to better suit my needs. I will probably do a small build thread on it once I feel like I've done enough to warrant one. Thank you all for your wonderful advice and suggestions, but in the end I guess my nostalgia and inherent affinity for the Jeep wrangler platform just won out.
That is one nice YJ! Are the fenders/grill aftermarket? It looks like they are one piece, connected near the headlights but I see bolts under the fender.

I get the "nostalgia and inherent affinity" for the wrangler. My first wrangler was a YJ, but I sold it for a TJ... and I've now owned that TJ for 19 years!

I'm just now seeing this. As a Nissan guy, I'd definitely recommend the Xterra or Frontier, as I have both.

WJ's are great vehicles, and they were available with a v8, but for the love of all that is unholy, don't let it overheat.

The squarebody chevy's (Tahoe, Suburban) are super comfy, have loads of room, but they come with their own problems.

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you'd prefer an SUV over a truck?

I won't assume to tell you what you need, as only you can make that decision, but I can walk you through my thought process.

I started "overlanding" using a 2004 Chevy Colorado z71. I just threw everything in the back of the truck, and went. This worked ok, but for me, packing up the ground tent, and putting everything back in the truck wasn't the best experience for me. Then, when we added the family, we had a hard time fitting everything we needed for more than a few days back there. I was unfamiliar with any sort of storage system at the time.

I also got tired of breaking wheel hubs, steering racks, and other mechanical parts on a 200k mile chevy. This spawned me starting to re-evaluate my needs, which led me back to SUV's (which I had before the colorado). After doing a lot of research, I settled on a 2003 Nissan Xterra as the platform I was going to get.

Now, let me talk about the Nissans for a minute. There's the 1st gen Xterra and Frontier, and the 2nd gen (and now 3rd gen Fronty). On the outside, they resemble each other, but mechanically they are VERY different. Can you daily a 1st gen? Absolutely you can, and I did for a while. But, the 2nd gen is SO MUCH NICER to live with as a daily driver. It has much more power and torque, has a more comfortable ride in stock form, and is available with heated seats. It's also very good off road. Second gens have lots of mod options available as well. Not as much as Jeep/Toyota, but everything you would need is there.

Now, 2nd gens aren't without their issues. From 2005-2012, there were susceptible to what is called the "strawberry milkshake of death". This is a fault with the radiator that causes the seal between the AT trans cooler and the coolant reservoir to fail, causing the two to mix, causing the transmission to eat itself. This does not mean don't buy one of those years, just that you need to take extra precautions to make sure that it doesn't currently have it, and that you replace the radiator with the updated part immediately, preventing it from happening in the first place. The same years also have an issue with the timing chain guides wearing out prematurely, causing a "whining" noise.

• Overbuilt Drivetrain - sitting underneath the 2000-2004 Xterra is basically a 1/2 ton pickup drivetrain. What I mean by that is bolt on CV joints, Dana 60 rear axle, and beefy suspension components. With AT MOST 210 HP in the supercharged engine, you're not going to be breaking anything under there. It also makes peak torque pretty low in the RPM range (2700rpm), so you don't have to work the engine hard to get the max amount of pull out of it.
  • Old school, reliable engine - the VG33E has been around since the 80's in Nissan vehicles, and while it doesn't make much in the way of power, it's damn reliable. Change the oil, keep the fluids topped off, and change the timing belt at the required interval, and it'll go 500k without much in the way of complaints
  • Simplicity - Manual transfer case, solid transmission, easy to build, modify and maintain. There's nothing in the way of electronic driver aids, so if anything goes wrong on the trail, it's likely mechanical, and can be fixed or patched up with basic tools.
I've had my Xterra for almost 3 years now, and it's spent most of it's time bouncing around in the Oregon and Idaho deserts, on rocks, two tracks, and climbing mountains, and it's not skipped a beat. I've had to replace a wheel bearing. That's it. In stock form, with a slight crank on the torsion bars, and either lift shackles, or an add-a-leaf, you can fit 265/75r16s on it, and have 11 inches of ground clearance. I've not needed anymore than that. Mine has 4.90 gears in the axles, and I have a front locker that I haven't bothered to have installed yet, because I've only had one instance where I felt like it would have been handy. Now, I will say that fitting everything the family needs for a 5 day trip in there is a challenge, but we can do it. We just had to choose our equipment carefully. I'm currently in the process of researching upgrades that I would like to do for towing, as I'm going to start pulling our offroad trailer with it. These include replacing the stock single row radiator with a two row radiator from a supercharged X, and adding an aux transmission cooler and transmission temperature gauge.

First gen Xterra's can be had for CHEAP, and doing the maintenance, upgrades and modifications will set you back well under 10k. That being said, they are smaller vehicles, so that's something to keep in mind. It's great on the trail, but if you're a bigger person, you may find it a bit cramped.

I hope that helps. This was a very long post, but I wanted to go into my thought process behind why I choose the Nissan over everything else, since I was considering the same things that you were a few years ago.
Hey man, @DreamsofIron posted that he bought a YJ :sunglasses:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
That is one nice YJ! Are the fenders/grill aftermarket? It looks like they are one piece, connected near the headlights but I see bolts under the fender.

I get the "nostalgia and inherent affinity" for the wrangler. My first wrangler was a YJ, but I sold it for a TJ... and I've now owned that TJ for 19 years!

Whelp, I must have missed that. I clearly need more coffee. ::facepalm::

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Dana 60 rear axle

I'm not a Nissan expert by any means, but are you sure the X got a Dana 60? That's generally a 1-ton (sometimes 3/4 ton) axle in the Domestic world. Heck my 702HP 6300lbs RAM TRX has a "hybrid" rear axle that is a Dana 60 center but with smaller outers and AFAIK it's the only 1500 that has gotten a Dana 60 from the Domestic crowd. On the stock tire size of an X it seems like you'd be dragging pumpkin on a road reflector. The AAM in my '11 2500 is similar in size to a D60, and on 37"s my clearance on the pumpkin isn't great, TBH. I did a quick search and all the pics I'm seeing make it look like the 2000-04 X rear axle has a drop-out 3rd member (like a Ford 9" or lots of Toyota axles) vs. a removable cover with a carrier that comes out from the housing like Dana axles (including the 60) have.

-TJ

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm not a Nissan expert by any means, but are you sure the X got a Dana 60? That's generally a 1-ton (sometimes 3/4 ton) axle in the Domestic world. Heck my 702HP 6300lbs RAM TRX has a "hybrid" rear axle that is a Dana 60 center but with smaller outers and AFAIK it's the only 1500 that has gotten a Dana 60 from the Domestic. On the stock tire size of an X it seems like you'd be dragging pumpkin on a road reflector. The AAM in my '11 2500 is similar in size to a D60, and on 37"s my clearance on the pumpkin isn't great, TBH. I did a quick search and all the pics I'm seeing make it look like the 2000-04 X rear axle has a drop-out 3rd member (like a Ford 9" or lots of Toyota axles) vs. a removable cover with a carrier that comes out from the housing like Dana axles (including the 60) have.

-TJ
The first generation X has a Nissan specific version of the Dana 60, called the h233b. 2nd generation pro-4x (or offroad trim in the earlier versions) received a Nissan specific version of the Dana 44.

Now, it's not exactly a Dana 60 axle, but strength wise, it's comparable. It's the same axle that was used in international patrols.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

2000 up silverado can be found cheap and still have money for upgrades and camping gear. Full size life is really nice because you dont run out of space.

DreamsofIron

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Illinois, USA
First Name
kenneth
Last Name
lafontaine

thank you! Grile is Factory, Fenders are custom. hood is also custom. It also has aftermarket seats with heaters and adjustable lumbar support. Theres just something about these little jeeps that refuses to leave your heart... love them to death, even with all their cons ha.

DreamsofIron

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Illinois, USA
First Name
kenneth
Last Name
lafontaine

I was extremely close to buying one, In fact, if a friend of mine hadn't found my current YJ, I was going to buy a 2002 xterra, dark blue and in great shape. I will probably still get one in the future for more long term camping trips, or the first gen frontier. They are common where I am and reasonably priced. I am currently doing most trips alone, so a wrangler isn't too cramped, but I will be the first to admit the increase in space of the xterras are definitely better suited to long term trips as a Single guy and possibly a pooch.

Reactions: reaver

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Dan Grec drove the Americas in a Wrangler with just a ground tent. Another guy (I can't remember his name) would sleep in a cargo box he had attached to his Wrangler. As a single guy, there is no limit to the possibilities for overlanding.

Arkansas_SR5

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Cave Springs, AR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Last

The first gen Xterra has to be the biggest bargain out there. The hard part is finding one that's been maintained at all since people tend to use them as cheap throwaway vehicles. @DreamsofIron I'd look for a manual 4x4 in decent shape.

You will probably have to do the valve cover gaskets, and the exhaust manifolds will also likely be cracked and leaking if they haven't been done. Knock sensors are another headache. But other than that you can't get much better value.

They're basically just as reliable as a first gen Tacoma or 3rd Gen 4Runner, and actually have a stronger chassis and rear axle than those as well. You also won;t have to worry about LBJs on the Xterra.