Budget Overland Rig

• HTML tutorial

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Hi everyone, this is my first post here on Overland Bound and I'm looking for some opinions and advice. Im about to sell a '06 Xterra and buy a budget overland rig. My goal is to spend $3500 or less on the vehicle purchase to leave me money for some upgrades. Im looking for something I can put 2 car seats in, dogs in the cargo area and tow a 3500lb trailer. Vehicles I'm considering are 80 series land cruisers, Discovery's, Range Rover Classics, Troopers and Monteros. What would you go with and why?

Bonomonster

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Personally I would go with the Land Cruiser 80. They are dependable, go anywhere, parts are easily available anywhere in the world, look great, super comfy, and have a large aftermarket support network of enthusiasts and manufacturers. The only down side is that I don't think you'll have an easy time finding a good one with a $3500 budget.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have thousands of miles of dirt under my 2007 Xterra.  In fact I have a couple of hundred miles of dirt on it right now so I need to get the hose out.

Unless you are having an issue with the Xterra I would look at putting the money into upgrading it. I have always been amazed at just how capable my rig has been without a whole lot of modifications.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

@KD7WCD I agree with you that the xterra is fine truck. I put over 100,000 miles on mine and done thing like pull out a 3/4 ton dodge with it, but my needs are out growing the interior space of it. Also it's going to need some money maintenance wise put in to it soon, that plus the cost of the modifications I would need to make to it for my plans just aren't worth it to me. At the end I would have spent a good bit of money on a truck I would still find lacking.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm gonna try this one more time. My posts keep disappearing. Maybe third time is the charm.

I have a 2002 Trooper. I love it. I wanted a Cruiser but just couldn't justify spending 8k on a truck with over 200k miles (that's what they go for here in Texas). So I settled (or at least I thought I was settling) for a Trooper. I couldn't be happier. Very spacious. Plenty of backseat leg room and lots of cargo space in the back. The only downside to mine is it has the automatic transmission. They seem to be a little weak when not taken very good care of. Mine needed to be rebuilt. I was able to fit new 265/70/R16 tires without lifting the truck. Stock, the trooper has proved more capable than a lot of my friend's lifted and modified trucks. And it didn't cost me much.

All totaled up (cost of trooper, transmission rebuild, transmission cooler, 1.25 inch OME lift, and tires) I am $9,000 into it and it seems pretty strong with only 97k miles. I love this truck.

I vote fore either a Trooper, or a Cruiser. Hope this info is helpful.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I had a buddy who had a Nice Trooper.  It was an older Boxier one.   The Transmission did his in as well. It was a cool rig and wanted to kick him for dumping it instead of fixing it or not giving one of our group a chance to buy it off of him so we could fix it.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I'm really considering a trooper. Transmission aside, the last generation was really roomy and would clear 33's with a 2" lift. I could buy a trooper, loft it and put on new rubber for $3500 or so. Hard to beat price wise.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I'd love an fzj80, but given what I want to spend the Fj80 seems more likely. I know land cruisers are supposed to last forever, but it seems like all the decent priced ones are over 250k, that's a lot of miles for anything. Also the 80 series is a little tight on leg room.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Keep an eye out on Craigslist. FJ's bounce in and out of there, at least here in SLO land.

As to a budget rig, I'm not sure that label fits. Their reputation tends to keep their market price up. Sure, it's plenty capable in stock condition. The two friends I have with Cruisers easily have over $10k in them, wheels, tires lockers, gears, armor, Overland mods..........

Last edited:

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

i love my bronco. it was cheap.

a bit too much lift... but i traded a jeep i paid considerably less that 3500 for.

... .... ... long story short, the bronco does a wonderful job.

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

I found a gem.

One owner 1997 4Runner V6 Manual with E-Locker 144,500 miles for $3900 in Utah.

Bought coil overs, bilstiens and OME heavy springs in the rear, Ball joints, Alignment and KM2 BFG tires all for $2500 installed

All said and done its a perfect vehicle and runs great. You just have to search stuff out:sunglasses:

Contributor I

I have an 87 first gen 4Runner 4cyl (22re) manual. It has 248,000 miles on it, and I love it. It's not the best overland rig out there, but it works for me. There is still a long way to go but I think it's totally worth the effort. I'm still new to overlanding, but want to learn from some of the pros out there, and go out on some cool adventures with friends and future friends.