Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I picked up one of these off Amazon a few months back for about $53. I had been looking at the $120 Midland MXT100 (this was before the release of the new models with new features) but wasn't ready to plunk down the cash for one.

What drew me to this radio was the fact that it had GMRS repeater channels built in, and has the ability to monitor Ham frequencies as well. Also, I can use an external antenna with it for better range. Eventually, I will get my Ham license but for the most part my traveling companions are on GMRS. It also has the weather channels preprogrammed and FM radio.

This radio shares the same accessories with the Baofeng UV82HP dual band ham radio (which I also have), so external mics, battery eliminators, etc are readily available. The programming cable is the same as well and uses the popular CHIRP programming software.

I've done some preliminary testing but first real test will be on the convoy to ExpoWest. Definitely worth a look see considering it's low price and wide range of features and capabilities. I'll get some pictures of my setup in the Jeep this weekend for those that are interested.

More info here:

https://baofengtech.com/gmrs-v1

My antenna setup, dual band Browning BR-180 on a Rocky Road antenna mount:

Jeremy •IIIIIII• Michael

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Long Beach, Ca
Member #

I picked up one of these off Amazon a few months back for about $53. I had been looking at the $120 Midland MXT100 (this was before the release of the new models with new features) but wasn't ready to plunk down the cash for one.

What drew me to this radio was the fact that it had GMRS repeater channels built in, and has the ability to monitor Ham frequencies as well. Also, I can use an external antenna with it for better range. Eventually, I will get my Ham license but for the most part my traveling companions are on GMRS. It also has the weather channels preprogrammed and FM radio.

This radio shares the same accessories with the Baofeng UV82HP dual band ham radio (which I also have), so external mics, battery eliminators, etc are readily available. The programming cable is the same as well and uses the popular CHIRP programming software.

I've done some preliminary testing but first real test will be on the convoy to ExpoWest. Definitely worth a look see considering it's low price and wide range of features and capabilities. I'll get some pictures of my setup in the Jeep this weekend for those that are interested.

More info here:

https://baofengtech.com/gmrs-v1

My antenna setup, dual band Browning BR-180 on a Rocky Road antenna mount:

Dstock, nice set up. I just ordered a Cobra 75 but not an antenna.....I see you have a "dual band" set up. Those this mean it is for your CB and GMRS radios? I am also researching and looking into a GMRS/FRS radio.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Dstock, nice set up. I just ordered a Cobra 75 but not an antenna.....I see you have a "dual band" set up. Those this mean it is for your CB and GMRS radios? I am also researching and looking into a GMRS/FRS radio.
Hey Jeremy -
The dual band is for the HAM frequencies, which also happens to work with the GMRS radio. You will need a separate antenna for the CB. I actually just retired my Cobra 75, it was hard to hear in the Jeep, although that could be solved with an external speaker.
I will probably pick up one of the Midland MXT radios in the future, it's hard to beat the transmit power options they offer.