KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Year: 2016

I bought my first Toyota in January 2016, a 1999 100 series. I set out looking for a 100 series in October of 2015 after returning home from exploring the Rockies in a 70k mile 2006 Hemi powered Grand Cherokee. The Jeep was comfortable and had more power under the hood than necessary, but it always felt cheap and clunky. When it failed to go into 4-Low at the base of Cinnamon Pass in the San Juans I was furious. The WK was sold a couple of months later ushering in the Toyota chapter of my life.

Thanks to a lot of background reading I knew I could find the right cruiser with a modest $15k budget. However when a one owner, 246k mile rig popped up on craigslist for a mere $6k, with complete Toyota service records, I couldn’t say no.

IMAG0452.jpg

The ‘budget’ Cruiser and my Toyota learning experience went pretty well. I knew the Cruiser would need some TLC and maintenance, so I jumped right into unfamiliar territory that first year.
  • Scrubbed and cleaned the interior (the original owner passed away from lung cancer and the interior smelled like an ash tray)
  • Installed cabin filter
  • Removed running boards
  • Replaced steering rack
  • Replaced upper ball joints with 555 joints
  • Serviced wheel bearings (oil seal, flange gasket, Slee bushing tool, etc)
  • Greased drive shafts
  • Cranked the torsion bars to reduce the 2 ½” forward rake to ¾” rake
  • Replaced the tires with 265/75r16 AT3’s
  • Replaced coil pack #1 with a Denso
  • Replaced heater tees

After driving the Cruiser a few thousand miles I could tell my baseline work wasn’t quite complete.
  • Installed new front swaybar bushings/links and new rear bushings
  • Replaced the shocks with OEM (The actual shock was okay, but the bushings were shot. Bushings cost nearly as much as the shock assembly!)
  • Replaced MAF sensor
  • Replaced overhead interior and center dash lights with LED

Now that the Cruiser was driving well I started to make it mine.
  • Removed the faded/peeling faux wood trim
  • Installed WeatherTech floor mats
  • Upgraded the radio to a JVC touchscreen and routed HDMI/USB extension cable to the ashtray
  • Installed a PL259 connector in the face of the ashtray and ran the coax behind the second row of seats for easy access for a mag mount CB antenna. A Midland 75-822 CB gets pulled out as needed.
  • Replaced the garage door housing in the overhead console with a HomeLink module and a Blue Sea USB power source
  • Installed a Warn winch on the TJM 957MTT1581C winch plate behind the stock bumper
  • Installed a set of Black Peak 80 series D-ring tow brackets up front
  • Installed a set of IPF lights on a home built mount up front with the FJ Cruiser Auxiliary light switch
  • Replaced the cracking factory Michelin spare tire with a 265/75/r16 AT3 tire
  • Performed the spare tire lift mod
  • Performed the rear mud flap trim mod

Then more general maintenance was required as time went on.
  • Replaced the fan bracket, tensioner pulley and serpentine belt
  • Replaced coil pack #3 with a Denso (now I carry one in the glovebox)
  • Replaced the generic 24F battery with a lead acid 27F from Batteries Plus (840CCA and 168RC)

During that first year, the Cruiser took me to the Salida, CO area four times, once to the Ouray, CO area, once to Branson, MO, and explored my backyard (Flint Hills area, KS). Putting 24k miles on a single vehicle in one year was a new personal record for me.

IMAG1468.jpg

14706898_10103289817376571_2211958648028315551_o.jpg

IMAG1419_1.jpg

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Year: 2017

Turned over 288K miles. The cruiser had been pretty trouble free for the 2nd year, but it has needed some continued maintenance.
  • New Toyota fuel filter
  • New Toyota Mass Air Flow sensor
  • New Denso SK20R11 Iridium Plugs
  • New Toyota front brake pads and guide pins
  • New Toyota rear brake pads
  • New Napa rear brake rotors
  • 2 new Denso coils on Bank 1 (chasing misfire codes)
  • New Whiteline ‘big’ horseshoe steering rack bushing (I reused the factory bushing when I originally replaced the steering rack)
  • Remanufactured Denso alternator
  • 4 new Denso coils on Bank 2

Modifications came slow and steady through 2017.
  • Bypassed and removed factory stereo amplifier
  • Installed Kenwood TM-71A ham radio
  • Refinished and installed a Reece 2” receiver
  • Installed Curt 55356 trailer wire harness/converter
  • Installed a 32g ATOTO Android Radio to replace the JVC radio

IMG_20180108_223324.jpg

IMG_20180108_222736.jpg

The modifications came slow because the Cruiser and I were busy exploring. From leading 30 rigs through the Flint Hills Back roads of Kansas, to following a herd of 100’s at HIH7 in Silverton and leading an Arkansas River run in Western Kansas. Needless to say, the Cruiser and I made a whole host of new friends this year.

IMG_20180108_223804.jpg

IMG_20180108_224526.jpg

IMG_20180108_230832.jpg

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Year: 2018

I closed out my 3rd year with the Cruiser at 307,000 miles. At this point I have put 61k miles on the rig.

I did not spend too much time wrenching on the Cruiser in the last 19k miles…at least it didn’t seem like it!
  • Installed a set of Wet Okole seat covers over the cracking leather on the front seats
  • Replaced the worn rubber stopper on the front differential
  • Replaced remaining stock coil packs with Denso
  • Replaced front brake pads
  • Rebuilt the front hub assembly with new Timken and Koyo wheel bearings
  • Replaced the lower ball joints with 555 joints
  • Replaced the rear upper control arms with new Toyota arms
  • Replaced the front CV axles with new Toyota axles
  • Installed 30mm Slee Spacer and indexed the Torsion bars
  • Replaced Cooper 265/75r16 AT3 with 255/85r16 ST Maxx
  • Installed SuperLift Truespeed
  • Made quick release awning brackets for a used 8’ Smittybilt awning

Wet Okole covers fit great!
IMG_20180518_184559.jpg

Wheel bearings were making some noise
IMG_20180923_105714.jpg

SuperLift Truespeed in the glove box
IMG_20180930_165152.jpg

Awning bracket
IMG_20181112_171943.jpg

255/85r16 ST Maxx tires installed
00000IMG_00000_BURST20181222163928366_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Year: 2019

2019 has been a busy year for the 100. I am at 320k miles as of September, so I've done 13k miles so far this year.
  • Install +03 ARB Deluxe front bumper with amber Xprite JK fog lights
  • Replace rear lower control arms with SPC
  • Replace rear driveshaft
  • Replace steering rack bushings with WhiteLine Poly
  • Replace rear passenger, brake caliper bracket
  • Replace Timing Belt with Aisin kit
  • Replace Radiator with OEM
  • Install dual battery system
  • Upgrade roof rack crossbars with 80/20 for ARB RTT
  • Replace Brake Booster assembly with OEM

Fresh ARB Deluxe bumper installed
IMG_20190120_113100.jpg

Timing Belt service completed!
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190505205643373_COVER.jpg

80/20 roof rack cross bars installed
IMG_20190728_202942.jpg

ARB Simpson III RTT on top of the cruiser
IMG_20190621_205600.jpg

Took the Cruiser for a trip along the Continental Divide with a couple of days in the San Juan mountains with my brother-in-law.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190713103617986_COVER.jpg

My dual battery install is outlined in the gear forum:

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I close out 2019 (my 4th year of ownership with the Cruiser) at 327k miles, 20k miles last year. Since purchase, I have put 81k miles on the Cruiser.

I did not do much to the cruiser at the end of 2019.
  • Installed LX470 Compass Mirror
  • Installed 7" HID spot lights on the ARB to replace the halogen IPF lights
  • Starter Replacement @ 320k with a Toyota Denso unit
  • Installed a Pfran clamp on my nearly new CV axle that started leaking
  • Muffler Replacement @ 325k with a Bosal
1578428164933.png

1578428184376.png

One of the coolest things I did in 2019 with OB was pick up @oneleglance (a vagabond Van guy waiting to pick up his van for SEMA) and tour the Northern Flint Hills region of Kansas with @adventure_is_necessary and @Blake Morgan . I think we all had a pretty good day!
1578429490511.png
1578429562736.png
1578429586847.png

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I close out 2019 (my 4th year of ownership with the Cruiser) at 327k miles, 20k miles last year. Since purchase, I have put 81k miles on the Cruiser.

I did not do much to the cruiser at the end of 2019.
  • Installed LX470 Compass Mirror
  • Installed 7" HID spot lights on the ARB to replace the halogen IPF lights
  • Starter Replacement @ 320k with a Toyota Denso unit
  • Installed a Pfran clamp on my nearly new CV axle that started leaking
  • Muffler Replacement @ 325k with a Bosal
View attachment 134138

View attachment 134139

One of the coolest things I did in 2019 with OB was pick up @oneleglance (a vagabond Van guy waiting to pick up his van for SEMA) and tour the Northern Flint Hills region of Kansas with @adventure_is_necessary and @Blake Morgan . I think we all had a pretty good day!
View attachment 134149
View attachment 134152
View attachment 134153
Can't wait for some more cruises! Hopefully soon with some snow?? I need to crawl under the WJ and figure out what's going on since my AR trip. Your Cruiser is simple and clean, yet functional and well thought out. I dig it for sure

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Can't wait for some more cruises! Hopefully soon with some snow?? I need to crawl under the WJ and figure out what's going on since my AR trip. Your Cruiser is simple and clean, yet functional and well thought out. I dig it for sure
Thanks for the compliment!

I learned my lesson with the TJ, now I only modify what I need so the vehicle does what I need. The temptation to add a rear bumper and tire carrier is strong (and would look pretty awesome), but I know those items wouldn't actually benefit my travels like a 40gal fuel tank would. (might be a hint to my 2020 plans)

We certainly need to get together for another day or weekend of adventure :sunglasses:

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Thanks for the compliment!

I learned my lesson with the TJ, now I only modify what I need so the vehicle does what I need. The temptation to add a rear bumper and tire carrier is strong (and would look pretty awesome), but I know those items wouldn't actually benefit my travels like a 40gal fuel tank would. (might be a hint to my 2020 plans)

We certainly need to get together for another day or weekend of adventure :sunglasses:
I like that. Only do what's needed for what you are doing.. otherwise it's just bling for IG.

Reactions: KonzaLander

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
In preparation for 200lbs of extra fuel on board the Land Cruiser, I swapped out the 30mm spacer and stock coil springs for a set of OME 2866's. It now sits about 1" taller than it did before in the back, which should result in a more level ride when loaded, especially with the increased load capacity with the OME coils.
1579034350204.png

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
For the Cruiser's 330k mile birthday, I installed a 40 gallon Long Range fuel tank from LRA or Long Range America (Automotive). This is a 40 gallon fuel tank that replaces the stock 24 gallon tank and should provide a solid 450 mile cruising range. I had been looking at various options for carrying extra fuel and decided the replacement tank was the best choice for me versus adding a swing out bumper with Jerry cans or an auxiliary tank where the spare tire resides.

The tank is a beast:
1581692142132.png

You have to modify the stock fuel pump assembly to work in the long range tank. I took this opportunity to install a new fuel pump as well.
1581692223591.png

I wasn't sure if this behemoth was going to fit!
1581692611138.png

The tank did easily slide into position and is nice a secure
1581694640003.png
1581694654162.png

My observations for tank level at the gauge:
3/4 - 35 Gallons
1/2 - 22 Gallons
1/4 - 11 Gallons
Low Fuel Light ~ 6 Gallons

Last edited:

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
For the Cruiser's 330k mile birthday, I installed a 40 gallon Long Range fuel tank from LRA or Long Range America (Automotive). This is a 40 gallon fuel tank that replaces the stock 24 gallon tank and should provide a solid 450 mile cruising range. I had been looking at various options for carrying extra fuel and decided the replacement tank was the best choice for me versus adding a swing out bumper with Jerry cans or an auxiliary tank where the spare tire resides.

The tank is a beast:
View attachment 140037

You have to modify the stock fuel pump assembly to work in the long range tank. I took this opportunity to install a new fuel pump as well.
View attachment 140038

I wasn't sure if this behemoth was going to fit!
View attachment 140039

The tank did easily slide into position and is nice a secure
View attachment 140040
View attachment 140041

My observations for tank level at the gauge:
3/4 - 30 Gallons
1/2 - 20 Gallons
1/4 - 10 Gallons
Low Fuel Light ~ 5 Gallons
Your observations as in you went for a little cruise? :tonguewink: Glad to see the extra bit of range on the ol girl. If you don't mind me asking, what did that run you? Might be something I look into when I get a cruiser. The WJ's 4.7 isn't as thirsty as the 100's 4.7. I can squeeze 350ish out of a tank and I think my tank is somewhere in the realm of 20.5 gallons. A 40 gal tank would be legit on the WJ.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Your observations as in you went for a little cruise? :tonguewink: Glad to see the extra bit of range on the ol girl. If you don't mind me asking, what did that run you? Might be something I look into when I get a cruiser. The WJ's 4.7 isn't as thirsty as the 100's 4.7. I can squeeze 350ish out of a tank and I think my tank is somewhere in the realm of 20.5 gallons. A 40 gal tank would be legit on the WJ.
Observation as in I watched the fuel gauge go up as I pumped the tank full of ethanol free fuel :sunglasses:

Total cost was spendy, like $2k spendy. But in the end it was cheaper than a swing out rear bumper + Jerry cans or an auxiliary fuel tank. The best part is that I don't have to deal with swing outs and the weight is between the axles, not hanging off the rear :smiley:

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Observation as in I watched the fuel gauge go up as I pumped the tank full of ethanol free fuel :sunglasses:

Total cost was spendy, like $2k spendy. But in the end it was cheaper than a swing out rear bumper + Jerry cans or an auxiliary fuel tank. The best part is that I don't have to deal with swing outs and the weight is between the axles, not hanging off the rear :smiley:
Ethanol free? That’s spendy! Why that fuel choice? I like the idea of having the weight centered and low. Although a tire carrier would be nice to keep spare easily accessed.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Ethanol free? That’s spendy! Why that fuel choice? I like the idea of having the weight centered and low. Although a tire carrier would be nice to keep spare easily accessed.
Pure gasoline is only $0.20 more than the corn fuel at Casey's. I get less fuel vapor release when removing the gas cap running ethanol free fuel.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Pure gasoline is only $0.20 more than the corn fuel at Casey's. I get less fuel vapor release when removing the gas cap running ethanol free fuel.
That makes sense. Wish we had more options for corn free fuel

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
It's time to play catch up! 2022 was the 7th year I've had the 100. Time flies when you are having fun. Yet my cruiser is still extremely modest compared to most builds here! I've put 130k miles on the cruiser since I bought it so the odometer now read 376k miles. Last year I put 16k miles on it. Fuel prices were at an all time high in 2022 so I used the motorcycles a lot more to get out and about.

Continuing from where I left off, the rest of 2020 was quite productive
  • Installed (used) Wet Okole seat covers on the middle row
  • Replaced Batteries Plus 27F battery with Advance Auto H7 AGM
  • Built and Installed a voltage booster on the Alternator Sensing fuse
  • Installed Solar on 2nd battery
    • Sealed sunroof with Eternabond RV Roof tape
    • Rich Solar 100w flexible panel adhered to sunroof with 3M VHB tape (FYI, NEVER BUY RICH SOLAR)
    • Renogy Voyager Charge controller mounted to aluminum bracket behind passenger headlight
    • 20amp circuit breaker between solar charge controller and 2nd battery
  • Replaced cracked intake tube with a Tundra/Sequoia intake tube
  • Installed Huracan tailgate storage lid
  • Installed Raingler rear cargo net
  • Removed failing SuperLift Truespeed speedometer calibrator
  • Replaced Charcoal Canister
    • Replaced purge valve and pressure sensor
  • Replaced rear tail lights with (used) '04 tail lights
  • Installed amber cargo lights in holes left in rear pillar trim from seatbelts
  • Installed Front and Rear Z36 Powerstop Brake kit, rotors and pads
  • Replaced 12v socket in rear power panel with ARB fridge socket and wire
  • Installed CKMA12 ARB Air compressor under hood
    • Power feed from AHC plug with jumped relay slot
    • Switched via custom CH4x4 Toyota push button
  • I spent October thru December 2020 chasing down a Low RPM surging and stalling problem that ALMOSTled me to part the thing out!
    • Cleaned Crankshaft Position Sensor
    • Cleaned Sensor electrical grounds as found in EWD
    • Checked resistance of EVAP and Vapor Pressure VSV
    • Checked that Pulse Damper screw pops up when running
    • Checked that Air Filter was not plugged
    • Checked and Retorqued Spark Plugs
    • Checked for vacuum leaks with propane torch
    • Checked that sensors and plugs are secure and tight
    • Checked fuel pressure, found it was a little high
    • Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator with new Toyota
    • Replaced TPS and Throttle Control motor with used parts that checked OK
    • Replaced MAF with new Toyota
    • Replaced EVAP VSV hose to the top of the throttle body with new Toyota
    • Replaced downstream O2 Sensors (Denso)
    • Cleaned EFI Fuse slot and replaced fuse
    • Replaced ECU
    • Inspected wire pins at ECU and discovered if Green/White wire (1 of 3 signal wires from MAF) is wiggled engine would die
    • Removed Green/Wire wire pin from ECU plug, crimped female connector and reinstalled *BOOM, FIXED*
  • Programmed 2 new Master Keys with fob (aftermarket key with 4c chip) and OEM non remote key
  • Replaced rear sombrero badge with a chrome one
1673554239557.png

2021 was a slow year since I spent most of my time building my trailer, "Yeller"
  • Installed chrome 'sombrero' on grill
  • Replaced wheel bearings with Timken from Toyota
  • Replaced driver side inner CV boot on 2 year old Toyota axle
  • Replaced tires with General Grabber ATX in 285/75R16
  • Replaced Black Peak front recovery points with Road Safe recovery points from Marks4wd
  • Installed 7-pin trailer plug in rear bumper
    • Auxiliary power through 7-pin plug is from my second battery
  • Installed front Ironman Foam Cell Pro shocks
  • Replaced passenger side inner CV boot on 2 year old Toyota axle
1673553898788.png

2022 was more continued maintenance than anything... I guess at 376k miles, I'd need some maintenance too :tonguewink:
  • Installed Pintle hitch through bumper cover
  • Installed Redarc Tow Pro Trailer brake controller
  • Installed ASFIR mid skid plate and trimmed OE composite skid to work
  • Painted side molding with SEM Trim Black
  • Replaced flexible solar panel with a rigid Renogy and fixed it to the roof rack
  • Replaced Bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor sensor with Denso (the last original o2 sensor)
  • Replaced Heater T's (again... they were fine, but it had been 100k miles)
  • Replaced thermostat housing
  • Replaced thermostat
  • Replaced rear pan hard bar
  • Replaced transfer case front output shaft and bearing
  • Replaced rear axle pinion seal and companion flange
  • Installed snorkel
  • Installed a manual antenna so the antenna would clear the snorkel piping
1673554656310.png
1673554594242.png
1673553790738.png

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Hey, it's been a minute...........LOL. Now I'm shopping for a 100, got anything decent hiding out your way?