Centennial, Colorado, 80016
First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Hey all. We are in Moab getting ready to go on the White Rim for 3 days.

Getting in some fun yesterday my battery strap broke causing the battery to bounce into the automatic transmission cooling line, cutting it. Lost all fluid eventually. Was able to limp to a mile out fortunately. Flat-bedded to shop where they will refill fluid (dude totally sounds like he knows what he's talking about as far as the refill procedure goes), and fix battery strap.

Q.
-Would you still go out on White Rim (quite remote), or would you just head back to Denver for a more complete going-over?
-What should I be "looking for" as evidence that I really did damage the transmission?

Thanks all!. I'm sitting here in a motel in Moab, not sure what I should do.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: SLO Rob and Kelly

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Hey all. We are in Moab getting ready to go on the White Rim for 3 days.

Getting in some fun yesterday my battery strap broke causing the battery to bounce into the automatic transmission cooling line, cutting it. Lost all fluid eventually. Was able to limp to a mile out fortunately. Flat-bedded to shop where they will refill fluid (dude totally sounds like he knows what he's talking about as far as the refill procedure goes), and fix battery strap.

Q.
-Would you still go out on White Rim (quite remote), or would you just head back to Denver for a more complete going-over?
-What should I be "looking for" as evidence that I really did damage the transmission?

Thanks all!. I'm sitting here in a motel in Moab, not sure what I should do.

Oh yeah, it's a Gen 2 Tacoma OffRoad Automatic Tranny with 40k on transmission . No previous abuse until yesterday.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
They fixed the cooling line, right?

I'd drive it around town a bit to see if it's shifting ok. Then take it back to the same guy and ask him to tell you if the trans fluid smells burnt (a mechanic knows that smell). If it seems ok, chances are it is ok.

If you have an InReach (or any other way to call for help without cell service), I'd continue your trip :-)

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Listen and feel if there is any slippage in any gear.

That will feel like A little more Reving with less motion or pickup.

If it's not slipping I'd try it too. White Rim isn't overly technical. Just take it easy.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Alone. Was supposed to be more but he bailed.

See if you can hook up with someone else heading out the same way and tag along. At least that way, if you break, they could get somewhere to get you some help.

Reactions: sledgehomer

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
They fixed the cooling line, right?

I'd drive it around town a bit to see if it's shifting ok. Then take it back to the same guy and ask him to tell you if the trans fluid smells burnt (a mechanic knows that smell). If it seems ok, chances are it is ok.

If you have an InReach (or any other way to call for help without cell service), I'd continue your trip :-)
Thanks. I just didn't know if the damage would be apparent right off the bat or.....

I do have an inReach but the (perhaps only) recovery truck in town is broken (broke the frame in half). Definitely a risk:benefit problem!

Reactions: Kelly

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Listen and feel if there is any slippage in any gear.

That will feel like A little more Reving with less motion or pickup.

If it's not slipping I'd try it too. White Rim isn't overly technical. Just take it easy.
Thanks! Evaluating risk!

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Thanks. I just didn't know if the damage would be apparent right off the bat or.....

I do have an inReach but the (perhaps only) recovery truck in town is broken (broke the frame in half). Definitely a risk:benefit problem!

If you break again, send me your location, and what you need, and I'll coordinate getting you some help.

I'll PM you my contact info now.

Worst case,... I'll put together a QRF and come get you myself :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phase2 and Louiston

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
If you break again, send me your location, and what you need, and I'll coordinate getting you some help.

I'll PM you my contact info now.

Worst case,... I'll put together a QRF and come get you myself :-)
Wow! That's an incredible offer! I haven't yet picked up my truck to check out what it feels like. If it feels "off" at all I think I'm gonna just head back. Regardless, I will post what I'm doing for all you guys to know: this truly is a great club. I'm sporting my badges on both my truck and my trailer proudly!

Reactions: Kelly and dblack

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Oh, and let us know how it worked out or in 3 or 4 days we'll be wondering if you're still out there curled under a cactus with a burrow for warmth.

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Oh, and let us know how it worked out or in 3 or 4 days we'll be wondering if you're still out there curled under a cactus with a burrow for warmth.
Thanks all! Turns out I did damage my transmission. No forward gears. Gonna trailer rig and my trailer back to Denver with I-haul. All due to a failed battery strap. Lesson learned. Thanks again! Also learned a good lesson on how to make myself available to coordinate a recovery for someone else, if they have an inDevice! An adventure regardless! (Kinda bummed. Had White crack permit for tomorrow night though).

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Just food for thought... it's a lot cheaper to ship a transmission to you than vice versa. Plus after you ship the truck home you buy the transmission anyway.

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Go back to Denver. Autos get damaged long before they run out. Clutches could be burned up. That's a really bad deal to loose one of those, especially if they control first gear. Plates could've gotten warped, which would cause bad stuff on the clutches. Just me being me, cause I've had to pull mine twice (first time was due to miles, second was 5 miles after first time due to overdrive sprag put in backwards. 5 miles every clutch was cooked and it had fluid to cool it) i wouldn't risk a 3 day off road trip on a tranny that ran dry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app
Edit, I scanned over where op said he had no forward gears. My bad

sledgehomer

Rank 0

Traveler I

People in Moab are rad. Go talk to some people in town. More than likely, you will find someone to go with you.

I never recommend going without a secret nd vehicle in the first place. White Rim is desolate but is traveled often. Especially this time of year.

But as I say, don't give yourself the opportunity to become a casualty. Have fun, be safe

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Do people actually read the whole topic before replying? xD

He has no forward gears and already has plans to go back home.. there aint no going to Moab with no gears :P