First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
@MadVdB

Any details / pics of how the Batt Strap broke or what could be done to repair / prevent it?

Boort
Not really. I put in an x2 deep-cycle AGM battery a few months ago. Because the stock strap would no longer fit, I put in the new battery with a (seemingly) very heavy-duty rubber strap: it snapped cleanly. Presumably due to being stressed while on the trail. "Chris" at Nations Towing in Moab fabricated a better metal strap while he was trying to fix the tranny. Needless to say, I will never trust a rubber strap (no matter how "heavy duty" the claim) again. That strap failure has turned into a very expensive thing.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

FauxLux

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Centennial, Colorado, 80016
First Name
Thatch
Last Name
VdB
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ETT
Hey all. We are in Moab getting ready to go on the White Rim for 3 days.

Getting in some fun yesterday my battery strap broke causing the battery to bounce into the automatic transmission cooling line, cutting it. Lost all fluid eventually. Was able to limp to a mile out fortunately. Flat-bedded to shop where they will refill fluid (dude totally sounds like he knows what he's talking about as far as the refill procedure goes), and fix battery strap.

Q.
-Would you still go out on White Rim (quite remote), or would you just head back to Denver for a more complete going-over?
-What should I be "looking for" as evidence that I really did damage the transmission?

Thanks all!. I'm sitting here in a motel in Moab, not sure what I should do.

Made it back to Denver just fine. Truck now in shop for reman tranny. Lessons.......

Thanks again to all.

Reactions: dblack

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@MadVdB

Not really. I put in an x2 deep-cycle AGM battery a few months ago. Because the stock strap would no longer fit, I put in the new battery with a (seemingly) very heavy-duty rubber strap: it snapped cleanly. Presumably due to being stressed while on the trail. "Chris" at Nations Towing in Moab fabricated a better metal strap while he was trying to fix the tranny. Needless to say, I will never trust a rubber strap (no matter how "heavy duty" the claim) again. That strap failure has turned into a very expensive thing.
Good to know what the cause was and that you've got it fixed. I'd hate to be out trying to enjoy the views thinking "Is it fixed for sure..." I hate problems that "fix" themselves.

Glad you're home safe and sound if bunch lighter in the wallet.

BoorT

Yumafolks

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yuma Az
Member #

If it's already in the shop have him drop the pan and change the filter. If it has one. If it's ok then it's the coast of a pan gasket and fluid change. If you are already replacing the fluid it's not that big a deal. If there is damage there should be signs in the pan. Just my two cents. I haven't worked with Toyota Auto trans but in general speaking if the pan looks good enjoy the rest of your trip. And add a qt of A/T to your small box of Oh Crap open in case of emergency