Bow saw or other for small firewood chores?

• HTML tutorial

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
My battery operated chainsaw has been freakin' awesome but on some trips I kinda want to get a step or two away from the power tool easy way. I think I want a bow saw to handle light firewood duty. Fiskars makes this 30" model for around $15. Just curious what saws others are using and if there is a better solution.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Giant heavy Stihl Chainsaw. I make sure any smoke or embers blow towards cali.

Going to have to get a tuned pipe for more fire and noise. I'd cut my watermelon with a chainsaw If I could. 'merica.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
+1 to the Silky BigBoy.

I used a Sven Saw for about 15 years, but I didn't like the angle of the grip and the way I tended to bash my knuckles on whatever I was cutting. Another downside of bow style saws is that they limit the diameter of log that you can process based on the height of the bow.

After using the Silky saw on a few camping trips I'm really happy with it. The saw is faster to deploy than the Sven saw, it doesn't have any small parts to drop on the ground, and it cuts really well. We had an ~8" diameter tree fall in our yard and the Silky made fast work of limbing the tree and cutting it up into manageable sections.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I keep a agawa canyon folding bow saw in the truck. It's good for about 6" dia lumber. There are a few blade options as well. This is also my backpacking saw. I have cut a lot of wood with it over the last year + and still on original blade.

Agawa Canyon - BOREAL21 Compact Folding Bow Saw

Reactions: Laurensvh

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Corona.JPG

Since no has mentioned it yet, I use this one when we go camping and around the house. This is the 10 inch version. For $20 or less, its a good buy.

Reactions: Brewbud

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Since I decided not to go with a RTT and I am using a Gazelle instead - I bought one of these hard shell chainsaw boxes that I can strap in my roof basket. It holds my 20" bar Husqvarna 320 saw, a bottle of chain oil, a bottle of 2-stroke mix, an extra chain, the little tools that go with it and this hybrid hatchet thing. It takes like 20 minutes to rip up a dead fall that has been pushed off to the side of the road. Lay on a ton of small stuff and then toss on some smaller diameter rounds and you'll have plenty of fire for a weekend.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I always have my Stihl chainsaw with in the back of my truck locked under my Diamondback cover along with some gas and oil. I also have a hand saw and a couple of hatchets that go with me when I go camping, two are my son's, he likes to help gather firewood and build fires with me! I'm on the hunt for a Grill that has collapsible legs that I can use for a fire pit and grill combo. Put the legs on up for grilling and down or take them off for a fire pit on the ground!

BTW, if I get one of those handsaws you guys are talking about I'll probably get the Hooyman extendable one, will work for camping and help when I need to trim branches for hunting lanes without making a lot of noise and stinking it up with a gas saw!

Last edited:

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I have an old bow saw I've used for 50 years, a couple of hatchets, an axe, a Pulaski and at least one shovel when I'm camping.

Reactions: Desert Runner

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I, like @slomatt have & carry a Sven Saw. It packs down & works well (I often take it Moto-camping) but I have to me careful to not bash knuckles. I may try out a Silky

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My axe and machete with sawback are used to clear trails of fallen trees/branches. And i carry a cheap coping saw for metal that needs cutting.
For firewood i usually walk around gathering dead wood off the ground and break it by hand into campfire sized pieces.
For my wood stove at home i go through the whole sawing and chop/spitting wood logs but for a campfire nope.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I generally just buy wood or haul my own since I camp locally and most place I go are state or privately owned. I always have my axe in the rig if needed and a collapsible bow saw is on the list to get.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I have a very light duty option, but my good old swiss army knife actually has a saw in there.
1571080269200.png

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
gerber folding saw and gerber machete...and if needed my hand/throwing axe.
Always in my van, always used. Not just on wood, sometimes to chop a tough steak to feed the crows.
........damned crows are my best friend in some camp spots.
edit.
Got the same saw in my bug out kit.