Bow saw or other for small firewood chores?

• HTML tutorial

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

gerber folding saw and gerber machete...and if needed my hand/throwing axe.
Always in my van, always used. Not just on wood, sometimes to chop a tough steak to feed the crows.
........damned crows are my best friend in some camp spots.
They're called "Halloween Eagles" for the next 13 days.

Reactions: Viking1204

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
Giant heavy Stihl Chainsaw. I make sure any smoke or embers blow towards cali.

Going to have to get a tuned pipe for more fire and noise. I'd cut my watermelon with a chainsaw If I could. 'merica.
Haha! That made me laugh... [emoji23]

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I live by the old adage that “one is none and two is one.” I carry a chainsaw, forestry ax, hatchet, Sven Saw and a Silky 330. Each serves its own purpose.

Sometimes a chainsaw is needed. Other times I like to swing an ax. I use the hatchet for hunting, backpacking and around camp. Hand saws for kindling and tinder. I needed a chainsaw this day. IMG_4025.JPG

Reactions: Viking1204

Thekevin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Randolph, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Cosgrove
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2GHD
Ive been using the 21" Sven saw for almost a year now. it folds up to be really compact and the blade is completely covered. its easy to deploy and use. on of the issues i was having with silkys ive used in the past was that since its only supported on one side one wrong stroke can break the blade. its not nearly as much of an issue with this saw.

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I use a sven saw and an Ontario Rat 7 knife. for light firewood duty. Gotta go with something larger if you're going to deal with processing logs.
I dislike the sven saw on larger pieces due to the geomemtry over the blade, but it does cut fast. A folding saw will be much more comfortable to use.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Another vote for the Silky Bigboy Pro. Easily stows, cuts silly fast, and it has no depth of cut restrictions like a bow saw. It’s a game changer if you’ve never used one. Great on the trail and I even take it to the tree farm every December. BCDB1CDB-1A65-4BA5-BEAA-5FCC1178BD6A.jpeg7D97F500-3318-466C-A678-1475382B30E0.jpeg

TrailMasonCliff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

KS
First Name
Cliff
Last Name
Jones
Big boy for easy stuff Dewalt electric chainsaw for bigger stuff. If I have my trailer and will be away from others then things get western and I will break out the Sthil MS362.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I carry a Woodmans Pal. Im a big fan of multi use tools that really work, and this is one. They are a bit expensive but really worth it.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am a huge fan of the Bob Dustrude Bucksaw for lighter (and not so light) cutting at camp. The saw has replaceable blades you can pick up anywhere, is extremely light weight, made in USA for those that care, and comes in different lengths to fit your need.

I see someone copied it and Duluth Pack is selling these

Looks like this one is also made in USA

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I've had a Sven saw since my dad used to carry one when we went camping back in the old days. Works great for smaller stuff, firewood, etc. Thinking of getting an electric chain saw for bigger stuff, though.

Reactions: Sparksalot

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I just picked up a Silky BigBoy 2000 yesterday and tested it out today on some unprocessed limbs that have been drying/seasoning outside for some time. I was amazing at how quick work it made of a few limbs for firewood for an Overlanding clinic I am teaching tomorrow. Thanks to you all for the suggestion. With my axe and this saw, I can process wood more easily on the trail.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I've had a Sven saw since my dad used to carry one when we went camping back in the old days. Works great for smaller stuff, firewood, etc. Thinking of getting an electric chain saw for bigger stuff, though.
I have a small size Sven saw. It's very compact to store and awesome to use.

Reactions: MidOH

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Kinda depends where I plan to go, I always carry a Fisker's axe on my roof rack, I have a couple small folding saws inside the jeep or in a pack, a 20 inch machete is also always on board but if I am going deep into the bush, I will carry my old Stihl 027 which is not a huge saw but perfect for camp wood, Blue Ridge Overland used to, perhaps they still do, make a nice tie down strap harness for the hard plastic Stihl orange case that hold it nice and tight on my roof rack.

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I just picked up a Silky BigBoy 2000 yesterday and tested it out today on some unprocessed limbs that have been drying/seasoning outside for some time. I was amazing at how quick work it made of a few limbs for firewood for an Overlanding clinic I am teaching tomorrow. Thanks to you all for the suggestion. With my axe and this saw, I can process wood more easily on the trail.
I carry a Silky Zubat 300 as well as my other saws. Great piece of kit.