Crazy Horse -done
Custer - missed
Spearfish - missed
Deadwood - done
Sturgis - missed
Yellowstone - been through, more to see
Grand Tetons - been through cursory ride due to weather
Devil's Tower - missed
Pawnee Grasslands Colorado- done (added)
Gallatin Gateway and Canyon -done. Was in the plan but didnt put in original list

Reactions: grubworm

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I could go back to the Black Hills and check out Custer State park, and head up to Spearfish Canyon. We were SO close to Devil's Tower as we made our way up the 212 through Wyo.ing into Montana, but we passed. I'd love to revisit the Grand Tetons. It was so cold and wet nobody else wanted to stop, and the fog meant there wasnt a lot to see. But I've seen other videos and really want to see that area again.

While deciding which route to head south, we discussed Rocky Mountain National Park but by then I was put-voted. Since it had been cold and snowy and even rainy in all of our mountain areas, we opted away from there and hit the grasslands for something different

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I could probably have used a hitch-carrier for water and the cooler. In the summer I might think the cooler would get too warm but this past trip...maybe it would have been fine most of the time.

Our back seat was reserved for Scout the ThundahBeagle, so we had to make clothes fit in the bed. Except the clothes for the wedding, which we hung from the hanger of the back seat, covered with a few dry cleaners bags. That second smaller cooler sat there as well, preventing the dog from messing up the clothes.

I know I didnt post much during the trip itself, and a lot of them are just one liners like "here's Deadwood", but I've got more details, obviously. Including the Pancake Challenge at Midtown Cafe in Newton Iowa (which I did not win, by the way), and how people climbing into the back of the truck tended to grasp the piston of the cap hatch and what I might do about that..so I may post more here but if theres anything on your mind, plug away and I'll answer best I can. Your plans sound epic.

Already planning for next time.
here's a pic of my hitch carrier...i got it specifically for a trip we did a couple months ago out to black gap, next to big bend. i wanted to pack extra fuel and didnt want it in the shell, so i got the swing away hitch so i can access the tailgate and lower it without having to unload a rigid hitch mount basket all the time. it works GREAT! might be something useful for you. i like having the ice chest back there and its handy to have right there when tailgate cooking and if i need to get another bag of ice every other day, thats fine.

IMG_0455.JPG

definitely post more of your trip. it will be my first time up in that area, so its basically a recon trip to get to see all i can and then go back again and hit the areas i want to concentrate on. the wife and i have been married just over 2 years and have done close to 12 decent size trips already. if its a new area to us, we go fast and light in the truck and shell and then later when we find areas we really like, we take the camp trailer and use it as a base camp and really explore the nearby area. we got back 2 weeks ago from a 2 1/2 week trip out west. it was around 4800 miles and i thought that was a good bit of driving...you beat that by nearly 1000 miles. wow...hope you have comfortable seats. my tundra seats felt like i was sitting on a milk crate by the end of the day...

Last edited:
Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

here's a pic of my hitch carrier...i got it specifically for a trip we did a couple months ago out to black gap, next to big bend. i wanted to pack extra fuel and didnt want it in the shell, so i got the swing away hitch so i can access the tailgate and lower it without having to unload a rigid hitch mount basket all the time. it works GREAT! might be something useful for you. i like having the ice chest back there and its handy to have right there when tailgate cooking and if i need to get another bag of ice every other day, thats fine.

View attachment 200130

definitely post more of your trip. it will be my first time up in that area, so its basically a recon trip to get to see all i can and then go back again and hit the areas i want to concentrate on. the wife and i have been married just over 2 years and have done close to 12 decent size trips already. if its a new area to us, we go fast and light in the truck and shell and then later when we find areas we really like, we take the camp trailer and use it as a base camp and really explore the nearby area. we got back 2 weeks ago from a 2 1/2 week trip out west. it was around 4800 miles and i thought that was a good bit of driving...you beat that by nearly 1000 miles. wow...hope you have comfortable seats. my tundra seats felt like i was sitting on a milk crate by the end of the day...
Nice hitch carrier! Who makes it? I hadn't previously considered one since the truck is already 19 feet long and I thought I should be able to fit everything I need within that 19 feet. But these decisions are dynamic and I may reconsider.

I've heard a lot of good about the Tundra, but never owned one. Legendary Toyota reliability!

What kind of roof rack do you have up top of the shell? I thought about a travel case like thule or Yakima, but always looking for something that might be right.

12 trips in 2 years?!? You are fortunate to have a wife that enjoys the ride that much. In the last 2 years, we've been to Virginia, Prince Edward Island, then down to Florida before taking this trip to Montana and Yellowstone. We are considering a small travel trailer.

4800 miles is sure nothing to sneeze at! That must have been a hell of a trip! I'm lucky enough these GMC Sierras have very comfortable seats. Rarely have I felt so comfortable yet alert at the same time.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Now you have 'a taste' of what's out that way! I have plans, once Canada opens again, to run up the Rockies CO to Jasper in a slow drive. There's many areas we've yet to see all there. It could be an awesome late summer/early fall run. Some much you can do out that way!

Reactions: ThundahBeagle