Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

However, between Sioux Falls and the Badlands, we took rt 90 west and crossed the Missouri River at Chamberlain. This could be @Road description of descending into an area immediately identifiable as the west. For someone from New England, it was quite a sight. I instinctively pumped the brakes once, to give myself a second to process what I was seeing. Dont have a pic of that as I was driving and Lady Beagle was equally unprepared for the sight. I recommend driving that route

Reactions: grubworm and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Iowa-80 "biggest truck stop"
View attachment 198978
Iowa 80 TA is a trip; I stop to see what's changed and what's new every time I go through. Some great old Power Wagons and other vehicles on display, and a great truck museum out back, too. Good CB shop on the other side of the interstate. It's become rather touristy, though they have an amazing wealth of stuff to wander through.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

However, between Sioux Falls and the Badlands, we took rt 90 west and crossed the Missouri River at Chamberlain. This could be @Road description of descending into an area immediately identifiable as the west. For someone from New England, it was quite a sight. I instinctively pumped the brakes once, to give myself a second to process what I was seeing. Dont have a pic of that as I was driving and Lady Beagle was equally unprepared for the sight. I recommend driving that route
It's almost a shock, isn't it, where you want to shake your head and look again. So different in landscape from the terrain you just left, it lets you know you've arrived in a vastly different part of America.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
very cool trip!
i'm set up the same as you with a camper shell and all...how are you camping? do you have to stay in campgrounds or is there any boondocking? i've been thru there as a kid, but definitely want to do the same kind of trip youre doing. just curious how the camping accommodations are....

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Iowa 80 TA is a trip; I stop to see what's changed and what's new every time I go through. Some great old Power Wagons and other vehicles on display, and a great truck museum out back, too. Good CB shop on the other side of the interstate. It's become rather touristy, though they have an amazing wealth of stuff to wander through.
Here's the power wagon on display in the main store
20210516_211630(0).jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

To pick up on the Badlands camping, there are several areas even including a KOA area. We stayed at Cedar Pass. It was crowded. We got the last 2 spots.

Now, up in the Northeast, very often there is a bit of space between camp sites, and that space is usually forested. So I am unaccustomed to cramped camping such as Cedar Pass, with cars, trucks RV's and Travel Trailers nearly on top of each other. However, the view was amazing and I believe the camp sites are kept closely so as not to be spread throughout the park and ruin it.

Just deal with the relatively close quarters camping, because the trip through the park and the views are absolutely worth it. The campground attendant said that since we were going through Montana and Yellowstone later, we might not think the Badlands were all that much. But I think they were

Reactions: grubworm

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

About a quarter mile south of the bridge across the Missouri, is an historic Lewis and Clark campsite. LOTS of history in South Dakota.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

very cool trip!
i'm set up the same as you with a camper shell and all...how are you camping? do you have to stay in campgrounds or is there any boondocking? i've been thru there as a kid, but definitely want to do the same kind of trip youre doing. just curious how the camping accommodations are....
We are staying in campgrounds, although speaking to people I'm sure there is boondocking.

Because I have the America The Beautiful National Parks Pass, the Cedar Pass Campgrounds in the Badlands gave me I think $11 off a $24 campsite, or something close to that. They didn't have a printer to give me a receipt, but I'm sure those were the numbers. That's a site with a table and a shelter over it, with a nearby spigot for water. There were restrooms and showers.

There may be boondocking around but we wont be doing that this trip

Reactions: grubworm

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

You've crossed into the land of amazing camp spots. Boondocking out there can be with no or some basic amenities. Your ATB pass gets you discounts in any Federal owned land (free entry). You should try a National Forest while out there! I've stayed at NF's for free & $5 with water & toilet nearby!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Earlier this week we passed through the Black Hills, saw Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Stopped at Deadwood for a meal and a beer.

Headed northwest on 85 then on into Montana via 212. By the way, get gas before you hit the 212. There is nothing but beautiful land and cattle for almost 3/4 a tank of gas! Speed limit of 80 gets you bad fuel economy.

We made it to Montana and it is GORGEOUS in the Gallatin Gateway area, especially the river canyon on rt 191.

The wedding was last night at Rainbow Ranch Lodge and it was magical

More pictures to follow later on. We are probably leaving Gallatin/Big Sky for Yellowstone on Tuesday

Reactions: grubworm and Road