BoldAdventures 2015 Ram Power Wagon Build

• HTML tutorial

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

So, I've started a video series on our build.

The first video is up, detailing why we chose the Power Wagon. Working on the next video going over our mods to our truck, some of my thoughts on the parts. And the third video will detail our overlanding/camp setup. And the fourth one, I plan on detailing upcoming mods, such as axle truss, gears, king shocks, etc.

Reactions: JCWages

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Some photos of the goods, installed!!!

I am really loving the shocks. Don has these dialed in perfectly. We started with Stage 3 valving and then adjusted for slower speed hits, crawling and general offroading that I like to do. On road, these shocks are fantastic. Offroad, they're freaking AMAZEBALLS!

Really soak up the hits. Drops off of ledges are nice and soft. The "touch down" or "landing" when you come off a ledge is like a soft bounce with easy rebound. Side to side rocking is completely gone. Overall the truck just feels so much more stable.

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

---

It has been said repeatedly that rear Thuren coils will kill your payload..... That might be sorta true if you don't know what you are doing?? I don't' want to exaggerate.

I'm going to do a more in-depth video explanation here when we leave Moab. I spent about two hours dialing in my WD hitch. And got the Airstream and truck perfectly level. Achieved over 100% FALR and towed this whole combo nearly 560 miles over the weekend. I also visited the CAT SCALES to get an accurate picture of what's going on with the truck and weights for each axle.

A few surprises there as well. It's a lot to go over and attempt to type up, so I think the video might be easier for folks to absorb.

That being said, we towed this setup weighing in at a GCVWR of 15,860lbs without the use of airbags. And the ride was smooth, stable and completely manageable. So you can run Thuren's rear coils, Kings and perhaps still get away without using Airbags on lighter travel trailers.

I'll share cat scale tickets and things later, right now is Moab play time for the next 3 weeks.

Traveler I

So I saw a live video the other day of you I think bypassing your sway bar disconect and lockers? Can you please post the videos again with details I might be interested in doing the same thing.

PW-JDA-2018

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Corona, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Albrecht
Member #

First Mods

Window Tinting

I wasted zero time getting right to the modifications. For starters, traveling around the country with kids meant one thing for me. We NEED TINT. I don't like driving around in a fish bowel. And I decided to take advantage of the lax laws in Nevada.

I ended up purchasing Ceramic Tint which claims to block 90% of the heat. And went with 5% around the back windows for the kiddo's and privacy and 15% on the front windows with a 5% glare strip on the windshield. I had the work done by Precision Window Tint in Henderson, NV. They do excellent work.

The results, perfect:

After the tint was cured for a few days, I installed AVS in channel vent shades. I've been installing these on most of my vehicles for awhile. So the Power Wagon gets them too.

Intake & Exhaust

Within the first week of ownership I was already giving money to the Jeff Bezos retirement fund (aka Amazon). I placed an order for a K&N intake and Magnaflow muffler.

We can all debate the worthiness of the next mod. Typically I'm a Volant intake guy. But K&N is the only one on the market for the 6.4L right now, so what the heck.

I had also purchased a Magnaflow 12589 muffler. On my 1500 I had installed the Mufflex 14inch muffler. And I liked the sound. This time I thought I'd try something a little similar but more custom.

Took it to a local exhaust shop in town, paid $200 even to have it installed and have the trash can resonator removed. Was very clear about wanting it to be out of the way for ground clearance.

What he came up with was fantastic. I'm very happy with the results.

You can check out an exhaust clip here. I waited a couple of days for the exhaust to break in before recording it.

Amazingly there is no drone. To be completely honest, I was disappointed at first. It was quite. And I think I am used to dual exhaust. I've owned several Camaros, a Pontiac G8 GXP and Corvette. All of which had loud, dual exhaust systems.

But after a few days break in time, it became audibly louder. But it's not extremely loud in any sense. When you mash the peddle you hear it. When you are cruising, it's barely noticeable.
Just curious, did you go with the 3" on purpose for back presssure because you removed the resonator? If someone is keeping the resonator should they get the 12909 which is the 3.5" pipe?