Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Am I correct in saying that the AEV kit still utilizes the factory air box? If so I might be able to get away with adding one on w/o voiding my warranty.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Am I correct in saying that the AEV kit still utilizes the factory air box? If so I might be able to get away with adding one on w/o voiding my warranty.
It does utilize it. So the tube from the intake runs through the fender, then you remove the stock inlet that used to go into the fender. AEV provides you with a new inlet that is larger and connects to their intake. You rivet that new inlet onto the factory airbox.

Whether that will void your warranty or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - AEV works closely with Mopar, so it might not. A lot of their stuff is approved.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

So got to Moab, and the first thing I did was put the truck through it's paces. Went up Strike Ravine to test out the new bumper. More details to follow.

Reactions: crit_pw

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
It does utilize it. So the tube from the intake runs through the fender, then you remove the stock inlet that used to go into the fender. AEV provides you with a new inlet that is larger and connects to their intake. You rivet that new inlet onto the factory airbox.

Whether that will void your warranty or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - AEV works closely with Mopar, so it might not. A lot of their stuff is approved.
Yeah and in my case it isn't a Mopar issue. I am past the factory warranty but I have a lifetime drive train warranty through the dealership. It always muddies the water everytime I want to modify something. But thanks for the info.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

May 4th 2017

This year, I organized and lead the 10th Annual Power Wagons in Moab event. The event has turned out really great.

Really been putting the Power Wagon through the paces again in Moab this year. It's been interesting leading a group of other Power Wagon owners on these trails. Learning the new bumper and how I can better approach and take on new lines has been a lot of fun.

Yesterday was one of the easier days. The second time the Power Wagon has been on Top of the World.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

May 2017

I've been so happy with how the truck has performed. Including doing things that were suppose to be IMPOSSIBLE in a full size. The comments from folks have been mostly positive, with the occasional dumb "No way you did those."

The Moab Trifecta has finally been completed. Along with a host of other trails. Those completed this year

Poison Spider
Wedgy (obstacle)
Golden Spike
Launch Pad (obstacle)
Golden Crack (obstacle)
Gold Bar Rim
Waterfall (obstacle)
Hells Revenge
Hells Gate (obstacle)
Tip Over Challenge (obstacle)
Seven Mile Rim
Wipe Out Hill
Fins and Things
Top of the World
Steel Bender
Elphant Hill
The Squeeze (obstacle)

And because I know some wont' believe it, photos and videos. I have so many I could bore you to death.

Gold Bar Rim
The Waterfall

Golden Spike
Skyline Drive

Golden Crack

Seven Mile
Silver Crack

Wipe Out Hill

Hells Revenge
Hells Gate

Video

JWOOD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Wood
Member #

Well done! Superb build. There was a black power wagon at our local dealer I've been eyeing... Perhaps I need to stop and check it out.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

So, I'm still waiting on my friend Marcus to finish his move to Portland before the major work on the truck begins. In the meantime, I've been just exploring Idaho and SE Oregon more on the weekends and doing some camping with the family to gauge what we need as we move this truck to the next phase. And more towards a hybrid overland/tow rig.

Over Memorial Day weekend, we loaded up the truck and did our first camping trip in years! Wife and I haven't been camping since 2013. We don't really count living in or traveling in the Airstream as camping. (It's more like our mobile house) We attempted to do the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route, however, most of it was all closed and we got turned around on several sections that were opened by downed trees and washed out roads.

Overall, we had a really great time. Our girls did great and seemed to have a good time.

The trip helped us cement some ideas, about ground tent vs RTT. We're sure now that we do want to build a custom rack and add a RTT to the truck. Ground camping just isn't for us anymore. And we can see ourselves moving from spot to spot a little more frequently.

We did find a beautiful dispersed spot along the South Fork of the Payette River.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Absolutely sick! It is totally awesome that you ran those trails. Hell of a way to put FULLSIZE rigs on the map! Well done!

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Absolutely sick! It is totally awesome that you ran those trails. Hell of a way to put FULLSIZE rigs on the map! Well done!
Thank you man. Hope to run even more in the fall here after we finish the rear bumper and modifications to the sliders. I've been pretty happy with the performance of this truck and just how capable the Power Wagon is. For the most part, other than my 35-inch tires, my suspension is currently 100% stock. These trucks rock.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
We have chated on lots of topics, so I decided to look at your build. Love what you have done with your rig. Even better, you get it out to wheel. I have been playing with the idea of ordering an AEV, Prospector XL. I would want the Diesal. I have never wheeled a full size rig. I thought I would get you opinion, since you push yours hard.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

We have chated on lots of topics, so I decided to look at your build. Love what you have done with your rig. Even better, you get it out to wheel. I have been playing with the idea of ordering an AEV, Prospector XL. I would want the Diesal. I have never wheeled a full size rig. I thought I would get you opinion, since you push yours hard.
I'd love a diesel if we towed heavy. But since we don't, I chose a gasser. Also because I didn't have to do any mods to start wheeling really.

They look freaking bad ass cool.

That's about the end of that. Do not expect performance or bang for a buck for that matter.

During this year's event, we had a member with a Prospector Power Wagon on 37's. It had problems flexing. His truck was the only one to tripod in several places. The front bumper on those trucks, absolutely beautiful. Possibly the best-designed bumper out there. But as for approach over the stock bumper. We measured it in person, it's 1 inch taller than the factory bumper. The lower portion of the tow hooks also keep digging into rocks, and on two occasions he couldn't tackle an approach without tearing up the bumper. So he had to go around the obstacle.

He managed to keep up and do almost everything we all did. But at the end of the day, I believe that AEV actually hurt their trucks with that spacer lift kit of theirs. They would have been better off designing springs. No matter what Dave at AEV claims about spring rates and stock ride characteristics, the stock Power Wagon has better flex.

That being said, what does it matter if it's on 40's ? LOL It will roll over most things. And like I said, he managed to do everything. Just a little more tippy and less stable than some of us.

But there are some other considerations. The member I mentioned basically paid twice as much as me for a tradesmen Power Wagon converted to a Prospector by AEV. I have a Laramie, paid less and have more options.

My truck doesn't look as cool I suppose... but I have leather heated cooled seat, premium sound, yada yada.

The Prospectors don't even come with lockers, and they even charge extra for diff protection.

If you want those looks, it's probably a better route to buy the bumper, hood and things from AEV rather than actually buying an overpriced Prospector. This way you can spend the savings on lockers and things.

They still look freaking awesome though, but I'd never buy one. Especially now that I've seen one in person on the trail for 6 days.

Like seriously, they look killer. I love the looks of those trucks. But once I start thinking practically... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You could probably just build a better truck.

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

Is it possible that he didn't take the time to disconnect the front swaybar on the AEV? Mine would lift a rear tire all the time before I removed one of the swaybar links.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Is it possible that he didn't take the time to disconnect the front swaybar on the AEV? Mine would lift a rear tire all the time before I removed one of the swaybar links.
It was disconnected. The AEV lift kit replaces the stock PW springs for stock 2500 springs. (See notes on AEV installation) - Considering the PW has a 20% softer spring rate and is already taller, that means you end up with reduced flex since you just put in a stiffer spring.

That's what I'm certain that doing something like Thuren or Carli coils would be better for your rig if you had a diesel, as far as performance off road goes, than an AEV "spacer lift".

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'd love a diesel if we towed heavy. But since we don't, I chose a gasser. Also because I didn't have to do any mods to start wheeling really.

They look freaking bad ass cool.

That's about the end of that. Do not expect performance or bang for a buck for that matter.

During this year's event, we had a member with a Prospector Power Wagon on 37's. It had problems flexing. His truck was the only one to tripod in several places. The front bumper on those trucks, absolutely beautiful. Possibly the best-designed bumper out there. But as for approach over the stock bumper. We measured it in person, it's 1 inch taller than the factory bumper. The lower portion of the tow hooks also keep digging into rocks, and on two occasions he couldn't tackle an approach without tearing up the bumper. So he had to go around the obstacle.

He managed to keep up and do almost everything we all did. But at the end of the day, I believe that AEV actually hurt their trucks with that spacer lift kit of theirs. They would have been better off designing springs. No matter what Dave at AEV claims about spring rates and stock ride characteristics, the stock Power Wagon has better flex.

That being said, what does it matter if it's on 40's ? LOL It will roll over most things. And like I said, he managed to do everything. Just a little more tippy and less stable than some of us.

But there are some other considerations. The member I mentioned basically paid twice as much as me for a tradesmen Power Wagon converted to a Prospector by AEV. I have a Laramie, paid less and have more options.

My truck doesn't look as cool I suppose... but I have leather heated cooled seat, premium sound, yada yada.

The Prospectors don't even come with lockers, and they even charge extra for diff protection.

If you want those looks, it's probably a better route to buy the bumper, hood and things from AEV rather than actually buying an overpriced Prospector. This way you can spend the savings on lockers and things.

They still look freaking awesome though, but I'd never buy one. Especially now that I've seen one in person on the trail for 6 days.

Like seriously, they look killer. I love the looks of those trucks. But once I start thinking practically... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You could probably just build a better truck.
Cool, you probably just saved me a s**t load of money. I will get the AEV bits that I like, and go with a different lift/suspension setup. Thanks for the heads up.

Traveler II

Cool, you probably just saved me a s**t load of money. I will get the AEV bits that I like, and go with a different lift/suspension setup. Thanks for the heads up.
Highly recommend Thuren Fab suspension. Their overland extreme kit looks unreal, even with their cheap overland shocks (although the Kings are obviously cooler)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk