US West Bodie Ghost Town, Black Point Fissures, and Copper Mountain

• HTML tutorial

T3QCRUISER

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Northern California
Member #

@PapaDave, I'm really trying to make it. I marked myself as going on the RSVP but I'm contingent on the repair of my rig, it needs rear brake pads and rotors desperately, they arrive today. If I can fix it and get everything together, and get my wife to agree to pick up the kids, I'll be there.

EDIT: If I have to meet you at the airdown checkpoint, can I assume you guys will be there between 4:30 and 5pm?

Last edited:

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
@PapaDave, I'm really trying to make it. I marked myself as going on the RSVP but I'm contingent on the repair of my rig, it needs rear brake pads and rotors desperately, they arrive today. If I can fix it and get everything together, and get my wife to agree to pick up the kids, I'll be there.

EDIT: If I have to meet you at the airdown checkpoint, can I assume you guys will be there between 4:30 and 5pm?
Yes that will be about the time we roll through

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
@T3QCRUISER , if you think you might be late let me know. I'm rolling out of Stockton and might have to drop parts off and give one of my mechanics a hand in Twain Hart. I won't know for sure until my guy gets on site tomorrow morning and assesses the situation. If I need to drop parts, I'll miss the Oakdale SP and will be tying in with the group later in the evening as well.

@PapaDave Are you planning on using 146.460 for the entire trip?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
@T3QCRUISER , if you think you might be late let me know. I'm rolling out of Stockton and might have to drop parts off and give one of my mechanics a hand in Twain Hart. I won't know for sure until my guy gets on site tomorrow morning and assesses the situation. If I need to drop parts, I'll miss the Oakdale SP and will be tying in with the group later in the evening as well.

@PapaDave Are you planning on using 146.460 for the entire trip?
That will be our primary yes

T3QCRUISER

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Northern California
Member #

Well, that was short lived. My pads in the rear were on the metal backings and I foolishly didn't buy brake hardware in advance, assuming I could re-use what was there but it was missing a bunch which makes sense why it was having so many issues with the brakes. Couldn't get the parts locally so I don't want to run my rig without the correct brake hardware so I'll have to bow out. Until next time. :(

• Sad
Reactions: RAWags and PapaDave

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
@PapaDave I think I'm going to miss the start point but should be catching up with you guys before or at your fuel stop in Bridgeport. It will be quicker for me to catch 108 coming through Copperopolis than making the loop around to Oakdale. You can't miss me. Grey metallic Tacoma with RTT and red and white Rotopax. I'll be monitoring OB HAM frequency. I'm still waiting feedback from my mechanic if he needs parts run up to him in Twain Harte.

Offroadtails

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Galt, California
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZM
Made it in about 3.4 miles on Masonic Road. Then the mud got a little to much. Turning around find a spot to camp. Not sure where. Have fun.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Made it in about 3.4 miles on Masonic Road. Then the mud got a little to much. Turning around find a spot to camp. Not sure where. Have fun.
Oh man! When did you go? We made it up the road and tried to radio but didn’t hear you

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Dave - Thanks for organizing this trip. I had a blast. I saw you again in Sonora as I was driving up 49 from Yosemite but didn't have time to tune the radio to give you a shout out.
I didn’t see you but really glad you came, good to have you with us. Well I am just waking up as I got called into a trauma last night at 10:30pm and got to bed at 5am. Whew, from waking up at 9500’ to staying up late in the OR I’m beat!

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
Here is the photo link. You should be able to drag and drop videos or photos to share from the trip.
Thanks for setting up the shared photos Jeff. I added a bunch that my wife took with her camera. Thanks to everyone for being so kind and welcoming. My family had a wonderful time. On the way home Janice was making a list of all the things we needed for the next trip!

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Thanks for setting up the shared photos Jeff. I added a bunch that my wife took with her camera. Thanks to everyone for being so kind and welcoming. My family had a wonderful time. On the way home Janice was making a list of all the things we needed for the next trip!
That’s great news, she seemed a little iffy after the hike!

Reactions: Bucket_Head_57

Offroadtails

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Galt, California
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZM
Oh man! When did you go? We made it up the road and tried to radio but didn’t hear you
It was closer to 6:30PM when we finally got back there. I had an issue with CB. Already looking at which radio to get after I get my ham license.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
It was closer to 6:30PM when we finally got back there. I had an issue with CB. Already looking at which radio to get after I get my ham license.
I really like my Yaesu 400XDR I got from Ham Outlet. Allows me to monitor 2 channels and pick which I talk on in simplex form. Among many other things. So bummed we missed you

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
The 400XDR is pretty nice. Once in a while I had problems picking up one of the guys that were using a handheld from the other side of a ridge line but I never had a problem picking up PapaDave. I think I was the only one using APRS out there though.

Reactions: Offroadtails

Offroadtails

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Galt, California
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZM
The 400XDR is pretty nice. Once in a while I had problems picking up one of the guys that were using a handheld from the other side of a ridge line but I never had a problem picking up PapaDave. I think I was the only one using APRS out there though.
I passed my test, now to find the right equipment.

Reactions: PapaDave