Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
So the plan, which I will be prerunning some of the route this coming weekend, is to camp Friday night near the Mines of Moria, worked out for Gandalf.
Masonic Mountain has a number of mines that we can free camp near, then the dirt road into Bodie as mentioned. First night campsite, approximately at 38.35877 -119.14358
Hardball is a military term for an improved road.
If I wasn't taking my boat to Alameda Saturday I'd offer to go prerun that route with you. Looks like a fun weekend.

Reactions: PapaDave

eweyrens

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Galt, CA, USA
First Name
EdandColleen
Last Name
Weyrens
Member #

This sounds fun! Hubby has been wanting to head out to Bodie. We will probably skip out on the Laurel Lakes portion but would love to join the first half of the trip.

eweyrens

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Galt, CA, USA
First Name
EdandColleen
Last Name
Weyrens
Member #

Shoot, I forgot we already committed to something on the 27th. Next time!

Bucket_Head_57

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Modesto, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Crutchfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZT
So I hear that laurel lakes will be not be accessible. Should we try and plan an alternate site?

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I'm interested... I need to check my schedule and my partners/kids to see if anything else is going on. I'll update the rally point thinger once i know!

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
@PapaDave this was the response to the post on facebook
Thank you for the information. Based on this input we may need to change our second night. I’m working with @Kent R on a plan for Saturday and Saturday night after visiting Bodie. I’m looking into Cooper Mountain trail which isn’t too far from Bodie.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hello everyone, the road into Laurel Lakes has snow still on its shelf road so we are changing up our plans. We will now be heading to Black Point Fissure slot canyons and Copper Mountain after Bodie. Take a look at the first post on this forum or the Rally Point to see the changes. All in all it will be less highway miles on Saturday and add a short hike down some impressive geologic formations. Plus trailers won’t have a problem any longer with Laurel lakes. :)
48FA86E8-FC4D-4D68-8C77-3DE83CAF1280.jpeg4EF26D5C-008F-487F-8F51-B7F4742B2546.jpeg

@Kent R @Michael

Reactions: RAWags

Offroadtails

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Galt, California
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZM
I will be coming up Friday and meeting in Bridgeport, leaving from Galt and taking Hwy 88 then to 395 south. Not sure if my wife is coming along or a friend. After talking about this trip he really want to experience it.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Ok so
I will be coming up Friday and meeting in Bridgeport, leaving from Galt and taking Hwy 88 then to 395 south. Not sure if my wife is coming along or a friend. After talking about this trip he really want to experience it.
Ok sounds good. There’s 2 options for gas in Bridgeport and we will be at the cheaper of the 2 :)

Reactions: Offroadtails

T3QCRUISER

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Northern California
Member #

Got room for one more? I thought I wasn't going to make it due to possible wheel bearing failure but upon inspection, turns out just my rear pads are on the wear indicators! Still depends on whether there are any complications with the repairs but I'd like to try to make it if I can. I would be coming from the Sacramento area, might not make the 1pm Meetup but I would try.

As a side note, I have a mobile pizza oven that I've been dying to bring out and try so if I come, there's the possibility of Neapolitan style pizza out on the trails!

Lastly, I assume a stock clearance 100 series on 33" AT with rear locker should have no trouble with these destinations?

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
Anyone know if we can burn up there? I have a mobile firepit that I would be willing to bring. Its not huge but its fire, and nice to watch with an adult beverage in hand.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Got room for one more? I thought I wasn't going to make it due to possible wheel bearing failure but upon inspection, turns out just my rear pads are on the wear indicators! Still depends on whether there are any complications with the repairs but I'd like to try to make it if I can. I would be coming from the Sacramento area, might not make the 1pm Meetup but I would try.

As a side note, I have a mobile pizza oven that I've been dying to bring out and try so if I come, there's the possibility of Neapolitan style pizza out on the trails!

Lastly, I assume a stock clearance 100 series on 33" AT with rear locker should have no trouble with these destinations?
Yes we have room, be sure to RSVP on the Rally Point if you haven’t already. You can meet us in Oakdale at 1pm or get to 395S up by Sac and head down if that’s better. We will be stopping at the cheaper of the two gas stations in Bridgeport CA to top off. Your clearance is more than enough and pizza sounds great :)

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Anyone know if we can burn up there? I have a mobile firepit that I would be willing to bring. Its not huge but its fire, and nice to watch with an adult beverage in hand.
That’s a great question, I looked up the BLM Land fire restrictions and looks like a fire ban is in place. If anyone plans on operating a gas stove you will need a fire permit. They are free, online, and take literally 5 minutes to get. They provide a printable form but I just saved mine to my iPad.

Here’s more info:
The following restrictions will remain in place until the risk of wildland fire in the Eastern Sierra subsides:

• No campfires, charcoal or wood barbeques, or similar open flame fires, except within a designated campsite with a fire ring or fire pit specifically provided for such use in the following developed campgrounds: Tuttle Creek Campground, Goodale Creek Campground, Horton Creek Campground, Crowley Lake Campground and Pleasant Valley Pit Campground. Portable stoves burning gas, jelled petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel are allowed outside of developed campgrounds when used in accordance with a valid California Campfire Permit, available free at all BLM, Forest Service and Cal Fire offices or at www.preventwildfireca.org/Permits.
  • No tools powered by internal combustion engines off established roads, trails or parking areas (such as chainsaws or lawn mowers).
  • No smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, or within the developed campgrounds listed above, or while stopped within an area at least five feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
  • No motorized vehicles off established roads, trails or parking areas.
  • Target shooters may not use incendiary, exploding, tracer, steel core or armor piercing ammunition. Shooting at steel or exploding targets that could emit sparks is not allowed. Target shooters must have a shovel or fire extinguisher on hand. Hunters may use steel shot and other non-lead ammunition as required by California State Law.
  • No fireworks, including “safe and sane” fireworks.
  • No welding or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame, except by special permit.
  • No use of explosives, except by special permit.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Just as a reminder that Bodie is a State Park and is $8 for adults and $5 for children 4-17 years old. If you do not plan on caravaning with us from Oakdale CA, you can meet us at the first way Point at Sweet Water Road and Masonic Road. This is where we will air down. Google Maps

We will leave the Oakdale Savemart at 1:15pm, so come a little early if you’d like to chat first.

See you soon

Reactions: Citizen Rob

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Well everyone we are meeting up to leave in just about 24 hours, currently I think it is just @Offroadtails that will be meeting us up there at Sweetwater and Masonic Road. @T3QCRUISER are you coming along? Didn’t see the RSVP yet.
Remember plenty of water as the altitude and dry air will leave you binging for H2O. Sun screen is a good idea as well given the altitude and UV rays.

On Friday it looks like we may get a little rain so be prepared. Two weeks ago we had a 20% chance of rain and it showered a little here and there, when you are up at 8500’ the weather can be a little unpredictable. If you want to swim in Mono lake we might have the chance if we go see the Tufas.

I look forward to a fun trip!

Mono Lake Tufas
45E7A8D2-24F5-449B-9960-2DE7C985659C.jpeg

E38CBD6E-57B1-4DB5-BF5D-2A142C33F5DD.jpeg

Reactions: RAWags