Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
—-Due to snow the Laurel Lakes portion of this trip has been altered to Copper Mountain—-

The Central California Meet Up is heading up to Bodie Ghost town and Copper Mountain! Friday night we will be disperse camping near the old Masonic Mines, Saturday we will visit Bodie Ghost Town and walk the old streets full of stories and legends. After Bodie we will avoid the tourist route out and venture down Cottonwood Canyon to Black Point Fissures. Here we will take the 1 mile hike down the slot canyons near the shores of Mono Lake. Then Saturday late afternoon we will trek up to Copper Mountain where we will see some amazing views of Lake Lundy and camp near the old abandoned copper mines. It’s a great family trip to learn about the history of the mines and see some fascinating geologic formations. Check the forum link below for additional photos.

See below for more info:

Bodie/Copper Mountain Itinerary July 26-28th
FRIDAY July 26th
1PM valley caravan meet up at Savemart in Oakdale CA
Top off tanks in Bridgeport CA, be aware is about $4.89 a gallon
38.30920 -119.21354 Masonic Road start
38.35877 -119.14358. 1st Campsite- we will travel to just west of the Masonic town/mine site and camp overnight. Several mines to see along the route.

SATURDAY July 27th
38.21878 -119.01051 Travel to Bodie in the morning, touring the town, lunch at Black Point
38.02711, -119.08463 Black Point Fissures Trailhead
38.04395, -119.18970 Copper Mines Dispersed Campsite

SUNDAY July 28th
Explore the area and head home

View Rally Point
Last edited:

BettyWhiteOneSeven

Rank VI
Launch Member

Contributor III

Modesto, CA, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Fernandez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QFD
The Central California Meet Up is heading up to Bodie Ghost town and Laurel Lakes! Friday night we will be disperse camping near the old Masonic Mines, Saturday we will visit Bodie Ghost Town and walk the old streets full of stories and legends. After Bodie we will travel to Laurel Lakes and camp at 10,000 feet. Both Friday and Saturday night will be primitive campsites. Laurel Lakes has a tight switchback turn on the way in where drivers will be spotted, it may be too difficult for trailers to make this turn. There are a number of YouTube videos showing the 4.5 mile dirt and shelf road in with the switchback turn so you can assess for yourself if you’d like to join us.

See below for more info:
(Content to come)
Watching some of the videos heading to and from Laurel Lakes are crazy! 4 door Jeep Rubicon had to make a 6 point turn to get around one of the switchbacks! Area looks absolutely gorgeous and I can’t wait to get out there!

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
i wanted to try to make this trip, as it would have been my first trip doing something other than fishing, and my first trip with a group. However I will be down in southern california instead.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
How would this work? Are we all supposed to meet in Bridgeport on Friday at 2:00 pm, or would we be meeting somewhere in the Valley and caravaning to Bridgeport?
More details will be up soon, but most likely we will meet at the Savemart in Oakdale Ca, which is right off 108 near the ARCO on the eastern edge of town

jolagues

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Carmichael, California, United States
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Olagues
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QXA
We are going to try to make the Bodie portion of this trip. as we have previous commitments Sunday we cant stay for Laurel Lakes. I will update my attendance on the rally point once I confirm we can make it.

jolagues

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Carmichael, California, United States
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Olagues
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QXA
We are going to try to make the Bodie portion of this trip. as we have previous commitments Sunday we cant stay for Laurel Lakes. I will update my attendance on the rally point once I confirm we can make it.

RAWags

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Ripon, CA
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Wagner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSK
Forgot about linking issues. Look for Laurel Lakes 4x4 4K by HighSierraOverland on Youtube.

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
Are you planning on taking the Bodie Masonic Road into Bodie from the first campsite or were you planning on using the hardball to get to the ghost town?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Are you planning on taking the Bodie Masonic Road into Bodie from the first campsite or were you planning on using the hardball to get to the ghost town?
Hardball?

Anybody bringing kayaks and/or fishing poles to Laurel Lakes?
I don’t have any but you should! Part of the fun to get out to these great places and experience them in the fullest

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
So the plan, which I will be prerunning some of the route this coming weekend, is to camp Friday night near the Mines of Moria, worked out for Gandalf.
Masonic Mountain has a number of mines that we can free camp near, then the dirt road into Bodie as mentioned. First night campsite, approximately at 38.35877 -119.14358

Reactions: Citizen Rob