• HTML tutorial

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

We left last Friday for a quick run up to the Kawartha area in Central Ontario for a weekend of camping and trails. We had hoped to catch the autumn colours in full display, but we were about a week too early. It was a group of five Jeeps, but we had a very cool diesel Range Rover Classic join us on a whim. We had met them at the campground on Friday night. Ian and his family were looking to scout some trails for a Land Rover event and didn't know quite where to start. They were invited along with our gang.

The first trail is called Forest Mountain. Now, everything up in this area is either rock, water or trees... with a little dirt thrown in for good measure. We pulled off the gravel access road, aired down and began the trail. It starts out fairly flat and twisty for maybe a mile, then the hills begin. We had maybe gone 2 miles when we found a few rocks to play on. Not everyone climbed the rocks but we watched the bigger Jeeps and then carried on a couple hundred yards. On one obstacle there was a loud snap of metal bits from the rear end of the RRC. In an instant it was down to front-wheel-drive only. Not very good.

We pulled him or winched him up and over a few more obstacles until there was a grind and crunch from the front axle of the RRC. The passenger side birfield / CV joint was very unhappy! He was down to 0-wheel-drive. Also not very good.

We hooked a strap to him with the plan to pull the broken and beaten RRC out to the road to wait for a flatbed.
The weighty Rangie was too much for one Jeep to pull uphill and over obstacles so we hooked a second Jeep to the front of the first to give more pulling power. As he was getting pulled out, Ian found that the Range Rover wouldn't steer easily with the busted joint up front. Perhaps something was binding inside it. This made the extrication process much longer, as we had to winch or skid the front end of the RRC around trees and rocks while pulling him up rocky climbs.

Once we got to the flatter, windy section of trail near the trailhead we unhooked the front-most Jeep and pulled one in behind the Range Rover. We were then able to brake-and-pivot the Rangie around most obstacles using the rig in front to adjust the attitude and the one behind to act as the anchor point.. A few ATVers even stopped to watch the wagon train work its way along the trail.

After 4 hours of recovery we finally got back to the trailhead, loaded a bunch of their essentials into other vehicles and headed back to run the complete trail. Even took Ian's wife and kids so they could enjoy the trail while he stayed with the crippled Range Rover waiting for the tow truck.

Day Two was on Concession Lake trail. It went off without a hitch. Great trail, great friends to spend it with. Good trip to end (likely) the off-roading season with.

It was nice to see how everyone worked together to get Ian's truck off the trail. First, that a new trail mate was not left behind to figure out how he was going to get his truck off the trail by himself - and became friends through the whole experience. Second, that the whole effort was smooth and safe with minimum damage to the Rangie, no damage to other vehicles and no damage to the trail. Everyone was level-headed and calm during the whole time. Everyone was safe. Kids were kept out of the way of moving vehicles and people were conscious of who was moving and where danger could be. Long recoveries can make people want to rush and get sloppy. Thankfully there was none of that!

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Just got an update on the RRC - rear spider gear and front CV were busted. New, bigger, stronger (with lockers) entire rear axle is being installed. New CVs going in the front once the rear is finished. Should be a beast when it hits the trails again!

Reactions: SLO Rob

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

^ very cool story. Makes a bad situation actually sound super fun! Good to hear the RRC will be back stronger. Love those.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Not as much fun as running the trails, but a remarkable sense of satisfaction when sitting around the campfire later that night. All were safe and sound, planning to come back stronger!

I also love the RRCs. Comfortable and capable.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Just got an update on the RRC - rear spider gear and front CV were busted. New, bigger, stronger (with lockers) entire rear axle is being installed. New CVs going in the front once the rear is finished. Should be a beast when it hits the trails again!
An upside to broken things. Replacing them with better things.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

My one fear is something breaking on a trail with no one around to help... I need a better ranged CB and a winch before i'd ever consider hitting a trail alone.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

May I ask why? The basic tech license is about all you would need if you only used it for emergencies. The tech test is waaaaay easier than it used to be.

It is more about the time than anything, the difficulty is not my concern. I just don't have time. Between work, wife who works, 2 kids under 3yrs old and other crap I just don't have time right now to add anything else to the lineup.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I got my Tech license in a single day.

As much as i'd like to, i get one day off a week and i need that time to maintain the house and vehicles. Most of Indiana has cell service or you can reach by CB. So until i hit more remote places HAM just dosn't have much of use to me so its not far up on my priority list.