Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters

ShadowCatcher8

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Oak Island, North Carolina
Member #

I've carried a BOB daily for about five years now. I call it my GO Bag because it goes everywhere with me. I can't begin to tell you how many times it has come in handy for minor issues that have made potentially aggravating or disappointing problems go away. I originally thought of it as a get home bag but I use it all the time. Zip ties, pens, lighter, trash bags, batteries, scissors, muli-tool, extra socks and underwear, toilet paper, ear plugs, 550 cord, sewing kit, extra pair of reading glasses, sinus meds, ibuprofen/Alieve, nail clippers, tweezers, ipad and android charging cords with 12v and wall cubes. There is nothing in there that I haven't used to solve a problem at some time or another.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

We are working on yours currently, some of the stuff can get pricey so we are finishing ours off as we can. But what we have got we carry with us.

We attended a really good class at Overland expo this year and he called it a go bag or emergency bag, basically something you can easily grab out of the rig if something bad happens. He sited being out solo and having a rollover or major break down.

Last edited:
Reactions: DEAF_JEEPHER

Faolchu

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

New York
Member #

I live in an area where bugging out is impossible...that being said I always keep emergency gear in the Jeep such as food and water, medical supplies, extra clothing, etc. In addition I have a small get home bag with redundant equipment that I take everywhere...two is one, one is none.

Grevlin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South Carolina
Member #

GHB in the vehicle. Along with a bin with camp food, gear, and water. Tool bag, gas syphon with collapsed jug, spare boots, ammo stash, large-ish trauma bag. And an active-shooter "Laptop Bag" behind the seat. Seems less and less silly to have that last one as the weeks go by.

...I have some prepper dna, like others here. A close cousin to overlanding, and off grid. IMO

Whitebutler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Paradise CA
Member #

I do carry a tactical hydration pack everywhere I go. It's equipped with 4l msr bag, fire starter(made out of pitch wood) food enough for two days, extra pocket knives (2), 15' of 550 cord, a plastic bottle a trash bag and a stack of blue shop towels. I also have a small first aid kit, flashlights (2), and two Flint magnesium fire sticks, one cell phone charger and 2 AAA batteries and 2 AA batteries, 1 9volt battery. All of this is a pack I wear when I'm metal detecting. I carry it with me at work as well and when I go on trips with the family.
They think I'm nuts but I'm always ready to hike out.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I do carry a tactical hydration pack everywhere I go. It's equipped with 4l msr bag, fire starter(made out of pitch wood) food enough for two days, extra pocket knives (2), 15' of 550 cord, a plastic bottle a trash bag and a stack of blue shop towels. I also have a small first aid kit, flashlights (2), and two Flint magnesium fire sticks, one cell phone charger and 2 AAA batteries and 2 AA batteries, 1 9volt battery. All of this is a pack I wear when I'm metal detecting. I carry it with me at work as well and when I go on trips with the family.
They think I'm nuts but I'm always ready to hike out.
The only crazy ones are those who aren't prepared.

I carry some extra gear with me too. It's kind of changing as I get ideas as to how to best utilize the small space. But generally I have phone charger cords, a power bank, paracord, little roll of gorilla tape, water bottle, small basic first aid kit (probably too small), a high powered flashlight, spare batteries, fire making stuff, fixed blade knife, tablet when I'm working my day job, pens, protein bars, couple 5 hr energy shots.... And things get added and changed frequently. I haven't found the best combination yet but I'm trying.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Traveler I

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Eduardo
Last Name
MunFrat
Hey everyone, I'm new to the overlanding lifestyle, but have been into survival/self reliance ever since I joined the Army years ago. With how the world is nowadays and everyone is only thinking of themselves, I truly believe having ways to take care of oneself and get home to your family safely is a MUST!
Once I get a bit more situated with the new civilian job, I'll do a shoot and share my set up or ideas on GHB's or BOB's.
Take care and stay adventurous!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

The Klumps

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fenton, Missouri
Member #

I keep a small CamelBak mule ( the older one with two pockets) in whatever vehicle I'm in.
I used to use a drago tracker but with most bags you end up putting to much stuff in it.
It holds a blowout kit and some first aid, spare mag, head lamp, water filter, multi tool , some 550 , fire kit, duct tape and some cliff bars. It's also the same bag I take day hiking.
Find what you need, then get the bag. Keep it light so you can go farther, faster.
Dicks sporting goods has a pretty good bag that's usually on sale every other week for $25 , it the quest one and it's not covered in molle.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

GHB is a must.... doesn't have to be expensive, any type of bag will work as long as you can use the items in it. I've seen all types of them and wouldn't leave home without one. Bag cost $15 and contents I've collected thru out my travels.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: maxfederle89

DEAF_JEEPHER

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Avondale, Colorado
Member #

I keep one and am constantly changing it to my area. I like to layer gear so i can easily adapt depending on the situation.

The first layer is protective clothing. A nice set of boots and wool socks. Durable for the areas environments. Then my 9mm a fixed knife and a survival tin that i put together. Throw in my edc( wallet, keys, blah blah) and im ready. If i ditch all other layers. This one can keep me alive with skills.

Second layer is a battle belt( work in progress). Holds 4 ar mags. Canteen, ifak. Its pretty adaptable. So i can adjust as needed.

Third layer is my GOOD bag. Get Out Of Dodge
Its got bare bones gear light weight and geared for mobility.

This set up is for the worst case. Because i have my rig always loaded with food and gear to survive the end of times. And where ever I'm living i keep well stocked and have plans in place.
This back is to get me to where i need to go. Or to some of my other supplies or caches.

If the guns seem overkill. Remember that if the situation doesn't call for them i would leave them or ccw like any other day.

If i need to bug out and never come back here again. I have a plan in place.
My house is set up so i can grab my necessary gear in less than five minutes. Thats from pajamas to driving/walking down the road. If i have more time i can get everything extra ( extra food, more clothes, important papers, tools) out in 15 minutes.

I figure if i need more time than that i might as well just bug in.

I use to run drills but i haven't in a while. It makes a big mess hahah. So its probably time for another one.

I think one of the most important things with a bug out bag is to have a plan with it and to leave room for adaptation.

Looking at some other posts I have realized i have weak spots to work on with my kit. So thank you all for sharing!

bag dump
top two layers
My edc layer is not really any business for sharing.
Love this BOB.

DEAF_JEEPHER

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Avondale, Colorado
Member #

Being a First Responder yes I not only carry one for me but also ones for our family. We call them "Go" bags haha our kids like NCIS. We have carried them since the kids were little because they always needed clean clothes:blush: we also have everything from Tylenol and Ibprophine to an epi pen and saline bags because there are a few accidents we have been on where an iv was needed immediately. (Please, Don't do this unless you are properly trained and qualified)

TAF_Taco

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lacey, Wa.
Member #

I have a small one that I keep in my truck just in case I break down or am stuck somewhere for about 12 hours. When we go in trips, I bring a lot more, but for day to day, it works fine.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I keep my truck well stocked, actually probably overstocked with everything in its proper nook and cranny. I use and rotate most of the stuff regularly on trips so a dedicated bag is too much stuff to store. Instead I keep an empty backpack behind the back seat to load up with the necessary supplies for what I might be dealing with. This allows me to not have a bulky bag of duplicate stuff and still have the ability to carry what I need in case I have to go on foot. L

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

As a good experiment, you should go backpacking for a day or two and only rely on your BOB or whatever you carry. It's an interesting exercise and might make you make a few changes to your setup.

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

trfkcop

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
First Name
Todd
Last Name
O'Neal
Member #

I used to keep a BOB when I was a Deputy Sheriff. I have since changed my setup since I no longer could get called in the middle of the night. I have a Pelican 1620 that I keep in my vehicle ALL of the time. Basic BOB components along with changes of clothes for me, Spouse and kids as seasonally dictated. I also keep 4 rather small backpacks / hydration carriers in there as well. That way should we break down or whatever, We can load only what is needed in each, and it can be distributed accordingly. It also gives everyone a fresh opportunity to see what they have available and are carrying, as I am the one who takes care of restocking / rotating gear. Sorry for the long post, just throwing out an idea.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Don't have one as I prefer to stay at home, but I live in Norway which is a very safe country.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

My go-bag, is ready for any trips more than an hour away from home. Also, have emergency kits, in my vehicles at all times with things like the 10 essentials, water, food, rain gear, and one blanket. Driving old junk you have to be ready! Winter travel I feel better about it too. Guess I picked up the habit from my Boy Scout days, Benz.