Launch Member

Member III

Fresno, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Aguirre
Member #

I use to carry one, but that was about 2 years ago. Since then I moved closer to the city for work but should probably throw one in the Jeep again. Who else as more photos and ideas to share for their GHB (Get Home Bag) and/or BOB (Bug Out Bag)?
BOB on left, GHB on right.

Reactions: DEAF_JEEPHER

JeepinZJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

I don't have that bag, but I did put my own backpack together that suits my family (2 adults and 3 kids 5, 8 and 10). I am still missing some essentials, but have the basics that goes with me every time I leave the house. I am always adding to it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Roger352

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

, Cornwall PL17 , United Kingdom
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Smith
Member #

A Get Home Bag (GHB) is basically a smaller BOB contain a few basics covering your needs for a day or two. Its used when you have to walk home should something happen like a breakdown etc. Along with your Every Day Carry (EDC) and things that you have in your vehicle i.e. water you should be able to make it home with no trouble. Your GHB can be tailored to suit your needs depending on the distance you travel from home each day.

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I am working on my GB/BOB as well as building out go bags for the family. Mine is a 50L, wife is 40L, son (<10 yrs) is 35L and my daughter (<5 yrs) is a 8L shoulder pack. I also have another 8L that I keep in the truck as a get home bag.

I broke my bag setups down into the following:
Water - My bag has a lifestraw and tablets. All bags have collapsible water bottles. I carry means to boil water as well.
Food - Millenium bars currently, will add other as I go along
Clothing/Shelter - socks/underwear/etc, emergency blankets (multiples in each pack), ponchos. I carry multiple means to start fire in mine and wife's (including homemade firestarter balls, matches, lighter, ferro rods).
First Aid - Basic first aid. Have a triple A bag in the 8L get home. In my BOB I carry basic First Aid, SAM splint, etc.
Sharps/Lights - Flashlights, headlamps in all bags. I carry at least 1 fixed blade and a folder in mine. Folder in GHB, wife's bag, will prob add to son's in near future.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
As an avid hiker and spontaneous outdoorsman, I always have my Internal frame backpack with me, it carries a weeks worth of food, water, and shelter. I might want to take a hike after work in the local mountains and have dinner, so I'm always ready. Not only that but I have a 30 mile commute that travels mostly over dirt and without cell service. Add a possible flash flood that can cut the road in several places and I might have to wait several hours or more to be able to make it through.

SGpdx

Rank III

Contributor III

Oregon
I don't carry a BOB in the typical sense but more of a daily oh SH$T bag. Portland shuts down in the snow and Ive been caught in the freeway shut downs. Also for ransoms day trips to the mountain I carry just basics at all times.
Water purification
Extra jacket
Emergency blankets
12 hour glow sticks
550 cord
Hatchet
First aid kit
Flash light
2 MREs
Hatchet
Extra ammo for my carry gun
Larger knife
Extra cash and change
Socks

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

I call mine a survival bag. I don't camp much but do a lot of day trips. I almost got stuck in the middle of nowhere a couple of times without the kinds of stuff I'd need for even a night. I might have survived but it wouldn't have been fun.

Now I carry a 5.11 Rush 72 with everything I'd need to spend a night or three out in the sticks. I ruck with the pack for exercise. It's 25-ish pounds without water. I also use it for making tea or breakfast when I'm out. In other words, I use it so I know how everything works and I can start a fire, filter water, etc. when I'm cold, tired and scared.

The numbers go with the descriptions on my blog if you're interested: http://www.danjennevada.com/survival-bag-2-0/
I've modified it a bit since that post. A few different items here and there and I swapped the MH meals for their Pro-Pak meals. They are a little smaller but I can fit six int he same space.

I also carry a GSI Micro-Duelist cook kit instead of the small pot and a MSR Pocket Rocket instead of the MSR Superfly. Way better and I can cook enough water for two meals at once so the wife and I can eat at the same time.

Last edited:

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
I carry a "Get Home Bag" to get my "Bug Out Bag".