Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
Anybody using one? I was thinking rather than spending money on a new head unit and steering wheel controls adapter in order to stream music while on the road, I could just sit a Bluetooth speaker up on the dash. Lots on Amazon right now with excellent views for under $80.00.

I presently have an Altec Lansing unit in my garage that has amazing sound for such a small package. Unfortunately it isn’t configured to lay horizontal. I was just curious as to what others might have run across for use in a vehicle.
BTW, this would be for my old Land Rover not my DD, which has a full audio package

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

For me. I just use the 1/8th inch aux port in the stock radio. and then to my phone. Sound quality is a lot better (processed/enhanced) than going BT (unprocessed/enhanced). Of course this depends on the age of the vehicle as well. Yes it's a cord that looks ugly. But fades away real quick when listening to my Pandora.

Reactions: davis31052

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Model number ??
Sorry bud never seen your reply aint got it with me at the mo mines a couple years old now google JLB they do loads and now do waterproof models great sound And was amazed to see there speaker at a recent big gig. Ooooops its JLB

Last edited:

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
For me. I just use the 1/8th inch aux port in the stock radio. and then to my phone. Sound quality is a lot better (processed/enhanced) than going BT (unprocessed/enhanced). Of course this depends on the age of the vehicle as well. Yes it's a cord that looks ugly. But fades away real quick when listening to my Pandora.
Yeah, mine is a factory 2003 Land Rover cassette player with no aux port. I looked at having the radio sent off to add a port, and that cost as much as a good head unit with Bluetooth built in. I really don’t want to change the factory radio since 1) it works and 2) i like the look of the dash layout with the factory head unit.
I also looked at wireless cassette / Bluetooth adapters but none had very good reviews. So then I figured I’d just go the BT speaker route and sit it up on the dash.
Regardless of which way I go, once I get all my gear and sleeping platform installed, all but the two front door speakers will be blocked.

Last edited:

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Yeah, mine is a factory 2003 Land Rover cassette player with no aux port. I looked at having the radio sent off to add a port, and that cost as much as a good head unit with Bluetooth built in. I really don’t want to change the factory radio since 1) it works and 2) i like the look of the dash layout with the factory head unit.
I also looked at wireless cassette / Bluetooth adapters but none had very good reviews. So then I figured I’d just go the BT speaker route and sit it up on the dash.
Regardless of which way I go, once I get all my gear and sleeping platform installed, all but the two front door speakers will be blocked.
Gotcha... The stock radio does flow good in the dash. I used to run the old school cassette adapter and ipod in my 01 D2. that thing worked great. Ugly, but worked.

Just a thought.

http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Cassette-Player-Adapters/b?ie=UTF8&node=13981611

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
Anyone used one of these cassette adapters? Reviews aren’t really that good.

Last edited:

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I've used a few from Exogear and really like them. Here is the bigger one I have:

I also have 2 smaller ones. I've used them for years and they work great, they really hold a good charge and sound good considering their water resistance and size.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Anyone tried one of these ... UE Roll 2?
From the reviews I've read, it's truly waterproof and the claims of 9 hrs on one charge are also true.
Not sure about sound quality at higher volumes needed while on the driving, but around the camp could be quite good - and no problem if forgotten and left out in the rain.

El Taco Loco

Rank 0

Traveler I

Southern Oregon
Member #

Anyone tried one of these ... UE Roll 2?
From the reviews I've read, it's truly waterproof and the claims of 9 hrs on one charge are also true.
Not sure about sound quality at higher volumes needed while on the driving, but around the camp could be quite good - and no problem if forgotten and left out in the rain.
I recently did a bunch of research and whatnot including trying all of them out and the two that were the stand-out best were the JBL stuff and the Bose. The UE just didn't put out sound quality that was anywhere near as good. It didn't hold together when loud like the JBL Xtreme, and it didn't have as good of sound quality as the Bose I ended up getting. The Bose I got is one of their new ones that looks like all the other round stand-up style ones but it's the bigger of the two. Used a store coupon to get a deal on it. Cost less than $300 and sounds incredible. A while back the Black Friday deals had the JBL Xtreme on sale for $150 which is a stellar deal. Not sure what pricing is like as you appear to be in the UK and I'm in the US so YMMV.

Reactions: Road and nickburt

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I recently did a bunch of research and whatnot including trying all of them out and the two that were the stand-out best were the JBL stuff and the Bose. The UE just didn't put out sound quality that was anywhere near as good. It didn't hold together when loud like the JBL Xtreme, and it didn't have as good of sound quality as the Bose I ended up getting. The Bose I got is one of their new ones that looks like all the other round stand-up style ones but it's the bigger of the two. Used a store coupon to get a deal on it. Cost less than $300 and sounds incredible. A while back the Black Friday deals had the JBL Xtreme on sale for $150 which is a stellar deal. Not sure what pricing is like as you appear to be in the UK and I'm in the US so YMMV.
Many thanks for the feed back. Think I'm likely to go for a JBL. Music in the rig isn't a problem, but around the camp fire would be good, connected to the rig stereo.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg image.jpeg Mine had it for two years great kit dropped a few times and left out over nite still working fine great quality sound

El Taco Loco

Rank 0

Traveler I

Southern Oregon
Member #

One thing about JBL is that they're owned by Harmon Kardon who employs (gasp) actual audio engineers and whatnot... They really do alot of research into getting their stuff to sound great. I use some of their pro audio and studio gear and have always been very happy with it.

StokelyVanCamp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

You could try the Monster Backfloat, designed to lay on it’s back, decent sound and water resistant. I’ve had one for a couple years and think it’s decent for charge life and sound, pairs easily too

stukenarut

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Minnesota
Member #

I've just purchased a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs in to the cigarette lighter and then syncs to stereo by way of matching radio frequencies to play Spotify, have navigation voice commands come through the stereo, make hands free calls, etc... I've only had it for a few days but it is working well.