Rank III

Enthusiast I

Waco, Texas, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Hickman
Member #

The BlackPearl is a 2001 Chevy S10 LS Crew Cab 4x4 with the 4.3 (I believe) Vortex 6 cylinder.

I picked her up around 2008 or 9 (may have been earlier, after Puerto Rico some of my time lines are a bit off) while I was working offshore out of Louisiana because I need decent mileage, it was a 5.5 hour drive one way to my primary dock. But needed something I could "use as needed." She survived, keep us safe, and got us out of there during Katrina and Rita. We made a run from Waco Tx, to Vegas, to San Francisco, to Port Gamble Washington with multiple side adventures on the way. Directly followed by a 26.5 hour run straight back to Waco with stops ONLY for gas due to our our bodies not liking something we did. The Pearl has spent a week camping on the beach in South Padre (this is when my sister named the S10, and its stuck) , been on a quarter mile strip a couple of times (reprogramed, but other wise stock, after 120 mph she started shaking a bit). Plus the ranch work, and remote land clearing she has done. She's had an interesting life.

In 2015 I was heading to the house one night and ended up on the wrong side of a ditch, with a bent frame, and a front clip in need of replacement. Since it was a single vehicle accident with no real fault (besides my stupidity), no injuries, no property damage besides the BlackPearl (landed on a pile of fence line clearing brush that apparently contained a couple of trees sectioned up), and I did not plan on calling my insurance to report it because they would have totaled her out. I checked the situation again, started her up, put her in 4 low, backed out, back to 2 regular, and drove a little over 2 miles home with no overheating or fluid loss. She didn't really show any signs of mechanical or drive train damage. But that may have been the adrenaline and a hopeful heart at the time. And there she sat until mid 2019, when I finally tore into her to see what I could do.

Ended up stripping off the entire front clip, radiator, and radiator support. With the help of a chain come-along, couple of jacks, a good tree, some hammering, and a lot of "colorful words." The frame got straightened out enough to try and get her running. Which surprisingly after sitting for years and being neglected, she did with a little tinkering. With the help of those in this community I was able to begin gathering parts to do some upgrades while repairing the BlackPearl. They let me know what would cross over, where to look, and what would most likely work for my end goal.

After doing what I could on my own, she ended up with used grill, fender wells, front lights, and hood from a Jimmy. Both front quarter panels were replaced with aftermarket full steel ZR2 panels. Thank ya'll again for the information. And she went back to work on our property as a few other things got lined out. Until early February 2021 (a week before the Big Freeze here in Texas) when she was sent to the frame shop finally.

On April 29, 2021 I was finally able to post the following on "The s10 build" thread.

How's the build going?

BTW, The Black Pearl (my 01 S10 crew cab LS) is RESURECTED!!!!!!!!!!! (Insert minicanal laughter)

Just picked it up to day after having the frame straightened and the 2.5" Rough Country lift with steering stabilizer being installed. It is officially insured and inspected. Working on making appointments for the next two legal hurdles.
Well, the BlackPearl is finally back on the road completely legal, with a few upgrades and many more to come. I will post pic's of the before, during, and after as I can. And will do my best to keep this up to date with what upgrades are planned, parts to be used, and any tips and trick that might help others. Especially with S10s, cause it seems were a very small group.

Hopefully everyone here will continue to do what ya'll do, help everyone with suggestions, knowledge, and experience. Cause I would definetly appriciate it. If you know of something that would work better than what I have listed, have suggestions for what ever, or just have a question please feel free to hop on the thread.

Thank you 618s10 for letting me jack your thread for awhile, and helping me out. Cant wait to see how your truck turns out.

firecraft13

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Waco, Texas, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Hickman
Member #

First round of parts have arrived.

Hayden 679 oil cooler with mounting kit
replacement rear drums, shoes, and hardware
High mileage transmission fluid
Transmission filter
Mass airflow sensor, MAP sensor, Ambient temp sensor, O2 sensor
new belt and idler pulley
as well as general tune up supplies
Intake plenum gasket set
New vacuum hoses

I have been having issues with 3rd gear acting like it is in neutral unless I redline it, let off, and tap it again. Then it shifts to fourth. Up to this point it has displayed no error codes related to the transmission. That includes running the OBD2 information through the Torque Pro app, both in real time and logged codes. Was informed that due to the 4L60E transmission being so heavily dependent on the computer. I would have to ensure all other codes were cleared before it can be further diagnosed. But odds are it will correct the issue.

Unfortunately, while attempting to change the MAP sensor. It broke in two pieces, with the bottom falling into the plenum. So at least I will have the chance to clean up the inside a little while correcting this issue. Followed by completing the original work.

Depending on how this goes, and finances, next steps will be upgrading the engine coolant system and the disc brakes.

As always, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

firecraft13

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Waco, Texas, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Hickman
Member #

Well the Black Pearl still sits stranded in the driveway due to no 3rd gear, an inability to earn an income, as well as an inability turn wrenches at this time. Surgeon currently has me on a 10 pound weight restriction. Lets just say being shot by an AK-47 is not agreeable to keeping a truck on the road.

But the Pearl now has a sister truck, the Wicked Wench.

The Wicked Wench is a 2001 GMC Sonoma SLS Crew Cab 4x4 with the 4.3 and manual posi-lock already installed. Still have a ways to get it road legal, and shop estimates are insane.

So it seems I'm forced to rely on others. Something I absolutely hate having to do.

If you get a chance, please check out and share the following

Thank you in advance.