Thornton, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We had a couple things that weren't big deals, but the customer service/warranty people are not helpful. We drove down to Mesa to get ours because the dealer here in Denver wanted $1k over msrp.

The bracket, on the box side, for the kitchen slide lock wasn't installed right and allowed the slide to move, the dealership person said that happens all the time and they had a stock of locally made replacements that they put on when we did the walk around.

When we got it home and set it up we noticed they only mounted the cooktop with one bracket and it had slid around - I emailed and asked for the other three brackets and a new gasket - after sending pics and going back and forth they told me it wasn't anything they could help with and to contact Dometic... The wiring for the fridge was grounding the + cable and of course tripping the breaker - I had to run a new cable and put in two grommets where cables were passing thru but weren't protected. The battery charger wasn't hooked up.

Just small issues. A lot fewer then my friend's last $100k+ fifth-wheel had... He sold the fifth wheel in April, and after a couple stops and starts, has a HQ-15 on order.

Aaron Parker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Stem, NC
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4WCJ
My wife and I bought a Dominator... and though I love the trailer, we had a bunch of issues to work out. Most of it was 'small' issues, however, it really showed me a high level of quality control issues. Things that simply should NEVER be an issue...
  • Like the alignment was so bad that in less than 10K miles it destroyed both tires.
  • Wheel bearing were not tightened even close to spec.
  • I found that NONE of the grease points had any grease in them.
  • So many pieces of loose hardware I lost count.
  • Also the power went out, and I found that the hardware on the shunt in the electrical panel was not even finger tight! That could have been a fire in the right situation.
  • LED light in the kitchen was partially broken, and all the wiring going to it was a total mess and had to be replaced.
  • missing wheel chock
  • parking brake cable was not adjusted properly and only sorta worked
  • AND MUCH MORE! ORDER TODAY! :D
Again... we have had a TON of fun and made more than a few memories in the short time we have owned ours... but till I finally got that last warranty box of replacement parts and final reimbursement check... it was very frustrating and took more emails and phone calls than should have ever been required.

We ran into a family that got an HQ21, and got to talking about issues they had... and there was a great deal of overlap. Even though his rig was very different the same failures in quality were found. So this seems like more than a fluke in my book. As someone who has worked in production and industrial environments this experience simply had all the earmarks of a production facility with no proper QC processes prior to shipment.

In the end... I'd still have bought it though. BANG FOR BUCK hands down.
Just know you will want to check it all over and shake it down prior to a big trip!!

We have yet to find a place our black series will not go, and have yet to regret having it!! Just look at a small bit of what it gave us already... Good stuff everyone, good stuff.

20200909_130248_HDR.jpg

20200827_140836.jpg 20200927_151610.jpg 20200926_164048_NoPlates.jpg

DOES IT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS?
20200829_204607_HDR.jpg

DaveInCO

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Thornton, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My wife and I bought a Dominator... and though I love the trailer, we had a bunch of issues to work out. Most of it was 'small' issues, however, it really showed me a high level of quality control issues. Things that simply should NEVER be an issue...
  • Like the alignment was so bad that in less than 10K miles it destroyed both tires.
  • Also the power went out, and I found that the hardware on the shunt in the electrical panel was not even finger tight! That could have been a fire in the right situation.
  • LED light in the kitchen was partially broken, and all the wiring going to it was a total mess and had to be replaced.
  • missing wheel chock
Again... we have had a TON of fun and made more than a few memories in the short time we have owned ours... but till I finally got that last warranty box of replacement parts and final reimbursement check... it was very frustrating and took more emails and phone calls than should have ever been required.

We ran into a family that got an HQ21, and got to talking about issues they had... and there was a great deal of overlap. Even though his rig was very different the same failures in quality were found. So this seems like more than a fluke in my book. As someone who has worked in production and industrial environments this experience simply had all the earmarks of a production facility with no proper QC processes prior to shipment.

Just know you will want to check it all over and shake it down prior to a big trip!!

We have yet to find a place our black series will not go, and have yet to regret having it!! Just look at a small bit of what it gave us already... Good stuff everyone, good stuff.

View attachment 192284

View attachment 192280 View attachment 192281 View attachment 192282

View attachment 192283
The beach pics are great.
What fridge did you go with - looks like a dual temp?
We went with the iceco 74 single temp and I’m very happy with how it works.

Aaron Parker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Stem, NC
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4WCJ
  • missing wheel chock

View attachment 192284

View attachment 192280 View attachment 192281 View attachment 192282

View attachment 192283
The beach pics are great.
What fridge did you go with - looks like a dual temp?
We went with the iceco 74 single temp and I’m very happy with how it works.
ICECO VL60 all the way! We love the large size and dual zone. We had some shipping damage issues, but tje company was super helpful and I ended up with a discount and a small 12.8qt GO12 mobile fridge\freezer as well... Love it as well.

Nothing more fun than pulling into a gas station or trail and seeing the look on faces when you pull cold drinks or icecream out of a trailer!

DaveInCO

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Thornton, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Orth
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I bought my Patron in January, we have made two trips and it has been flawless. No complaints.
How did the Gladiator do pulling your Patron? I haven't even hooked it up to ours yet - so was wondering about rear sag? We use the 4runner for most 4wheeling/camping trips, but will use the Gladiator a few times this summer.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

How did the Gladiator do pulling your Patron? I haven't even hooked it up to ours yet - so was wondering about rear sag? We use the 4runner for most 4wheeling/camping trips, but will use the Gladiator a few times this summer.
I have a Rubicon and it pulled it just fine. No problem pulling at all the power was just fine. My only complaint is tt did sag. I just purchased airbags to prevent that. We went to the desert and had to cross over highway 80 and back over highway 88. The Gladiator pulled it very well. We also hit some twisty trails. I was amazed how well it tows for being such a wide rig, backing up and towing off and on road were great.

Airbags go on this weekend in preparation for our next trip.

Image for reference. Look at rear tires. It is on a hill, so the back looks lower than it is.

Attachments

Reactions: DaveInCO

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I have a Rubicon and it pulled it just fine. No problem pulling at all the power was just fine. My only complaint is tt did sag. I just purchased airbags to prevent that. We went to the desert and had to cross over highway 80 and back over highway 88. The Gladiator pulled it very well. We also hit some twisty trails. I was amazed how well it tows for being such a wide rig, backing up and towing off and on road were great.

Airbags go on this weekend in preparation for our next trip.

Image for reference. Look at rear tires. It is on a hill, so the back looks lower than it is.
What did you end up with for Airbags? I'm looking at adding the Airlift 5000

Reactions: Kelly

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
What did you end up with for Airbags? I'm looking at adding the Airlift 5000
I am using the Airlift 5000 and very happy with them - I used soft 4" ABS caps (Home Depot has) on the bottom to allow the air bag to come up off the leaf springs when needed - separate lines to valve stems on the back bumper. Here's a pic (not mine, but from the person who originated this approach).

air_bag_recheck.jpg

BuckinghamBuilt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Pasadena, MD
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Buckingham
I am using the Airlift 5000 and very happy with them - I used soft 4" ABS caps (Home Depot has) on the bottom to allow the air bag to come up off the leaf springs when needed - separate lines to valve stems on the back bumper. Here's a pic (not mine, but from the person who originated this approach).

View attachment 204250
I ended up with Airlift 5000's with Daystar cradles since I have a Power Wagon. They have been great so far.

Reactions: Kelly

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I ended up with Airlift 5000's with Daystar cradles since I have a Power Wagon. They have been great so far.
My previous Truck was a 2012 Power Wagon with a lift. I had a similar setup, within the cab air adjustment. I pulled a large toy hauler and it worked really well. No sag and increased stability.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Here's the Hq15 in Mulege. BCS a couple weeks back. Currently in Los Barriles.

Ranger w suspension bits handles the roads here quite well. Less pucker factor when passing or being overtaken by 18 wheelers on narrow, no berm, pothole filled roads.

Attachments