Black Bear pass 5/29/2018

• HTML tutorial

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

Planning on driving down Black Bear Pass on my way to Moab and I’m looking for someone who would be interested in joining me. We are coming from NJ and will be drying into Ouray from the Denver area that morning. We will be in UT that week and the beginning of the following week and then spending a few days in Northern AZ. If anyone wants to run some trails in Moab with us or meet up somewhere along the way let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Planning on driving down Black Bear Pass on my way to Moab and I’m looking for someone who would be interested in joining me. We are coming from NJ and will be drying into Ouray from the Denver area that morning. We will be in UT that week and the beginning of the following week and then spending a few days in Northern AZ. If anyone wants to run some trails in Moab with us or meet up somewhere along the way let me know.

Not sure Black Bear is open this early in the season; I would contact the local BLM office and find out before you drive all the way down there from Denver.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'm curious what you found out. Some years they struggle to have it open by July. This has been a very light snow year, however.

What sized vehicle are you driving?

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Here are the current trail conditions in the San Juans: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sanjuan/alerts-notices/?cid=FSBDEV3_002300

Ophir is generally one of the first to open. Black Bear generally gets plowed open in mid July. This was a very light snow year however, so I'm sure it will be open much sooner this summer. But very doubtful by 5/29.

How would you like this guy's job?

Jdubb

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Montrose Colorado
Member #

Oh yeah I know my buddy is the one that plows some of the passes open! Usually black bear doesn’t open till late so it will be a treat this year to have it open sooner then later! Pray the fires stay away

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I don't fully understand your timeline for driving but between Denver and Moab, just taking the back roads would be an outstanding experience verse I-70. Especially if you've never been west before.

Like 285, to 50, then south on 550. Spend a night in Ouray. Then 62 to 145, 141, 90, 46, and finally north on 191 into Moab.

Elite Overland Crew

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Whitewright, TX
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Stibbens
Member #

We will be in that area June 2nd if your still up there let me know
My boys will be at Boy Scout camp for the week so we will be playing around with no real agenda #firstvacationinsevenyears

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
970-327-4835 is the phone of the local forest rangers office. They will have the info you need.

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

We will be in that area June 2nd if your still up there let me know
My boys will be at Boy Scout camp for the week so we will be playing around with no real agenda #firstvacationinsevenyears
Utah is our actual destination, we were just going to spend a day or two somewhere between Denver and Moab.