Bit Off More Than I could Chew on Trey Mountain Rd.

• HTML tutorial

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

My wife and I decided to take another trip up Trey Mountain just north of Helen, Georgia. We had been up there before and had no problems with the gravel trail. We thought it would be nice to take another way down this time, to mix it up and explore.

Well, the ways down are NOT created equal. This particular way was much rougher and actually required me to pick the proper line to keep from testing the stock skid plates. There was one section that I simply was not prepared to see, about 100 feet if deep drops and sharp rocks, rock crawling if tou will. This might not have been anything for some of you who wheel every weekend, but it was the roughest trail this guy and truck have ever seen. We made it through and the trail narrowed but went back to regular rough, sharp rocks. This wasn't looking bad after what we had just seen. I was pretty sure the only reason we got through it was because we were going down hill.

A little further on down the trail we stopped to look at the map, we were almost out. Just another short leg and we would be back on smooth road. We were feeling pretty good, until we rounded the next turn and saw the road was blocked by a fallen tree. No big deal, I ALWAYS keep my Stihl MS261 in the tool box. It wasn't until I opened the box to see the empty spot my saw usually fills, I borrowed it to my father in law to use when this last hurricane was suppose to come through our area in South GA. Shit! We wound up needing to back up the rough trail about 1/4 mile to where we could turn around. Now I have no idea how we will get through that rough spot going up hill. But it didn't matter, there was no other way out.

When we got to the dreaded area, I got out and walked it, only semi sure if the truck could even do it. I wish I would have taken a picture at this point. But, I put it in 4lo and we took a run at it. We got to a point where I couldn't go any further when I gave it gas so I popped the rear diff into lock, pointed it in the general direction I wanted and gassed it. Once I got going I didn't want to stop, so we just stayed in the gas. We came extremely close to flipping it sideways but I turned that way and we came out of it. There were tears and cuss words (mostly from the wife) but we were through. Turning back tacked another 2 hours onto the trip but we made it out. Thank God for 4lo and lockers. I don't think I'll ever attempt another route like that without first investing in a Jeep. It may not be that serious, but we were just out for a little drive, not looking to do any serious offroading. I think I've ruined my wife, she never wants to go off road again. Unless we have a Wrangler, looks like we just justified our next big purchase. ;)

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

I've been a couple places that really raised the pucker factor. Glad you made it out safe. I have on occasion just took my wife for an easy drive on paved roads in the mountains, stopped for lunch which included a couple margaritas for her which calmed the nerves before tackling a trail. :)

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I've been a couple places that really raised the pucker factor. Glad you made it out safe. I have on occasion just took my wife for an easy drive on paved roads in the mountains, stopped for lunch which included a couple margaritas for her which calmed the nerves before tackling a trail. :)
Genius.

Reactions: John D.

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
You would not be the only one who has had interesting times on Trey Mnt. ;-)
Glad that you made it out safely, cell reception is very poor there.

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

You would not be the only one who has had interesting times on Trey Mnt. ;-)
Glad that you made it out safely, cell reception is very poor there.
Yes it is. I don't even know who I'd call. Might be able to find someone to get us, but then my truck is still back there.

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

Nicely written account of your adventure. It isn't really adventure unless there is a little pucker factor to it. lol Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Chadlyb

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

Since you’re east coast, look into doing the 4wd 101 class at Uwharrie National Forest. It’s run by a company called UROTC which was just purchased by Overland Experts. Everyone is an I4WDTA certified trainer and no matter what 4x4 you have (or how long you’ve been driving) you’ll improve your skills. You’ll learn about four wheel drive systems, how to use a hi-lift jack, left foot braking, why to avoid using lockers, roll over prevention, recovery gear, winching, etc. There is even an obstacle course that will test your stomach and mental limits. The course closes with a evening ride and a fail hill climb to practice reversing down a hill without brakes!

Here are a few pics from when I went a few years ago:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

Since you’re east coast, look into doing the 4wd 101 class at Uwharrie National Forest. It’s run by a company called UROTC which was just purchased by Overland Experts. Everyone is an I4WDTA certified trainer and no matter what 4x4 you have (or how long you’ve been driving) you’ll improve your skills. You’ll learn about four wheel drive systems, how to use a hi-lift jack, left foot braking, why to avoid using lockers, roll over prevention, recovery gear, winching, etc. There is even an obstacle course that will test your stomach and mental limits. The course closes with a evening ride and a fail hill climb to practice reversing down a hill without brakes!

Here are a few pics from when I went a few years ago:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish I was closer, that looks like fun.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Glad to hear you made it out! There are some good learning points in your story that can help you, or anyone else in a similar situation. What exactly was the terrain like?

First is to stay calm. I know it's hard in the heat of the moment, but remembering to do that can save your pocketbook and relationship! You don't mention how much "on the gas" you were, but you don't want it to the point of flipping you (obviously) . "As slow as possible, as fast as necessary" is the mantra. Following the first step can help. Steady throttle control will generally get you through an obstacle better than gas on, gas off, brake on, brake off.

Pre and post trip inspections for your vehicle and gear are key to be sure you are prepared as possible, and find any obvious issues that you might regret on the trail.

It was a smart idea to go into 4L early. Doing the same with a rear locker can be good as well for the situation you describe. Fronts only as needed due to the lack of steering input. Before 4L and lockers, airing down you tires helps improve traction and smooths out the ride. Of course that means you need something to air up with at the end of the trail (compressor or CO2 tank).

For particularly hairy sections, your wife, or any passenger for that matter, can get out and walk through that part. Their stress doesn't help you to stay calm. And IF something did happen, like flopping on the side, they are in a safe location outside the vehicle.

It sounds like you hit your comfort limit, but now that point has been pushed a little further out for next time. I'm sure you're not looking to find that point anytime soon, but your confidence and skills have grown a little more. You also have a much better idea of what the truck can do. Stock vehicles can tackle a surprising amount of terrain (within reason) for people just getting into overlanding. Usually the vehicle is more capable than the driver in the beginning.

Reactions: Sneaks

Classic City Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Athens, GA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

This is also another good reason to make sure on your pre-off Hwy checklist is tell someone where you are going in the event you get stuck or hurt. BTW, If your ever up this way again, you can give me a call if you get stuck on a road like that.