Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

I recently purchased a bio lite fire pit from REI and am having issues with the battery pack not charging or holding any sort of charge. Has anyone had any of the same issues? I know BioLite only has a way to contact via email. If anyon has had any problems with their fire pit, can you shed some light on a possible DIY fix or how you got the issues resolved?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Mine appears to be ok. Battery might be defective, or you might need to charge overnight? Are your battery lights flashing or whatever the battery indicator is supposed to do?

OverlandOzzy1

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Durham, NC, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Osborn
Member #

Did you try a different mini usb charger cord? You might have a defective unit.
Yeah I have tried several different chargers. I emailed BioLite. Has anyone had any issues with customer service with BioLite. I had read several negative reviews from unhappy folks who have purchased their products. Was looking forward to taking the product on a 2 week overlanding trip I am going on this weekend.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yeah I have tried several different chargers. I emailed BioLite. Has anyone had any issues with customer service with BioLite. I had read several negative reviews from unhappy folks who have purchased their products. Was looking forward to taking the product on a 2 week overlanding trip I am going on this weekend.
Sorry man. Can you return it at REI?

Rawdge

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
H
I would definitely return it. I got mine directly from BioLite last summer, and I've used it half a dozen times since then.

If you look at the battery pack while it's mounted on the firepit itself, the LEDs below the power button should be the Battery Charge indicators. The ones above the power button are the Fan Speed indicators. When you hit the power button once, it should display the current charge level. Pressing it a few more times will cycle through the fan speeds from low to high and back around again. If you plug in the micro USB input for charging, the Battery Charge indicators should blink continuously while charging.

If you're not getting any LEDs to light up at all - whether plugging it in to charge, or when pressing the power button - then I'd definitely return it. Sounds like you've got a defective unit to me.

Good luck with it!

Reactions: OverlandOzzy1

Txorado

Rank 0

Contributor II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Garvey
Not sure if you resolved your problem yet, but I had the same issue. I have seen videos on how to replace the battery inside or upgrade it to a better one. I decided to reach out to customer care. They got back to me immediately and are sending me a new power bank free of charge. Hope this helps.

good luck!