Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I'm putting my first lift on my Tacoma to fit 33s. Starting cheap and I have it narrowed down to either Bilsteins or OME. Price isn't important here, I'm fine with either, just curious experiences others have had. I'll be using an AAL for now that I have at home, so disregard any potentially included leaf packs etc, I'm just concerned with the struts (I'll be using OME coils for either). Feel free to chime in with a comment as well on why you would prefer one over the other.
1565871836201.png
1565871868582.png

Thanks for your time!

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
My vote would be for the Emu's. The 5100's are great, but I think the Emu's are valved for your Yoda. A slight upgrade from there would be Fox 2.0's which are rebuildable.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

My vote would be for the Emu's. The 5100's are great, but I think the Emu's are valved for your Yoda. A slight upgrade from there would be Fox 2.0's which are rebuildable.
Yeah I would love a Fox 2.0 or Icon Stage 2 kit but those are just outside my price range for first lift for the truck. I'd love to hear more info on the OME shocks being more valved/tuned for a Tacoma, do you have any info I can reference?

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Bilstein 51xx series is well known for its quality issues and premature leaking and failing.
That's surprising to me. I've Googled for other posts related to Bilsteins vs OME and no one mentioned Bilsteins leaking/failing really. Also, Bilsteins come with limited lifetime warranty for manufacturer defects and premature failures etc, whereas OMEs come with ARBs limited 3 year warranty.
Just curious to confirm details about either option.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

That's surprising to me. I've Googled for other posts related to Bilsteins vs OME and no one mentioned Bilsteins leaking/failing really. Also, Bilsteins come with limited lifetime warranty for manufacturer defects and premature failures etc, whereas OMEs come with ARBs limited 3 year warranty.
Just curious to confirm details about either option.
Just googled it to confirm... Maybe it's a bit dependent on the vehicle but I found it also happening with Toyotas and had it confirmed just yet by two different sellers because I was ordering shocks for my jeep.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Just googled it to confirm... Maybe it's a bit dependent on the vehicle but I found it also happening with Toyotas and had it confirmed just yet by two different sellers because I was ordering shocks for my jeep.
Okay fair enough. I'm Googling around too and still not finding much about premature leaks/failures. I did find some stuff in other forums that may explain what you're seeing though:
I hear all about failures all the time! What you wont hear is how stupid some people can be! Dont push them beyond there limits. Bilsteins are tried and true!!
Bilstein 5100 was redesigned after a few failures (if you see examples of failures, chances they were from several years ago). I have not heard of any failures due to the design flaw after the redesign. I would feel comfortable using them or recommending them.
Not saying you're wrong, just wish I could find more information/reference of those premature failures etc.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I like Bilistines. I did melt a pair, driving to fast for 80 miles on a heavy washboard road. Sent them back and they were rebuilt for a price.
I have melted others also.

Reactions: geekyadam

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I went with the Bilsteins over the OME's based on other's reviews for my rig, however I do run OME springs. Nearly went with Fox but the cost drew me away. Might go that route depending on how long this all lasts.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Okay fair enough. I'm Googling around too and still not finding much about premature leaks/failures. I did find some stuff in other forums that may explain what you're seeing though:

Not saying you're wrong, just wish I could find more information/reference of those premature failures etc.
Ok, so far... Maybe they sorted that out.
I'm not trusting them anymore, had them fail really early in two different cars, and know two suspension distributors who just switched to koni because of quality issues with bilstein. Then two different parts dealers told me to not expect a long live but they ride great...
But honestly that might be different for you and your vehicle, everything is always dependent on so many things.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I've been running Bilstein 5100's in my F-150 for about 7 years and have never had any issues. In that time I've I'm on set 3 of 33" tires with over 120,000 miles combined both on and off road.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Before you make a decision I would look at the Eibach Pro kit. Lifetime warranty. I have this kit on my 4runner with JBA upper control arms and it works well. Got everything from wheelers off road and paid them a fee to assemble the fronts for me. Great kit.

haptizum

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Jersey
Member #

Before you make a decision I would look at the Eibach Pro kit. Lifetime warranty. I have this kit on my 4runner with JBA upper control arms and it works well. Got everything from wheelers off road and paid them a fee to assemble the fronts for me. Great kit.
I have a 4runner and have been considering getting the Eibach Pro kit myself. Was also looking at the Bilstien 5100 and OME too. I was looking at SPC for the UCA and OME for springs but I also heard Dobinsons or King where good too.

Reactions: Wallygator

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I cannot compare the two as I have never used Billstien. Why should I experiment with another brand when the OMEs are tried and true? After 120,000 miles i thought it might be time for new shocks. I put the new OMEs on only to discover that the old one were still good. I’m running the heavy suspension springs with no issues at all and the now have just about 150,000 miles on em and still no sagging even grossing out at a tad over 7,000 lbs. like I said before, why change something that works?

Reactions: MazeVX

awesomezebra

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Swope
Member #

I have bilstein 5100’s and ome springs. I go trail riding at least once a month and I have no complaints

O2Thrp

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Missouri and Kansas
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Ward
Member #

I know this is a relatively old thread but thought I'd chime in anyway. I've run the Bilsteins on a Dakota pick up and really liked them, but never really punished them. I had an OME system on a Jeep Cherokee when I first got into 4-wheeling. The system was fantastic. Even with only 2" of lift and 30" tires I was able to hang with TJ's running much larger tires and lifts simply because of the articulation. I later went to 7" lift on custom springs and 35" tires but I still missed the ride and capabilities of a relatively stock looking XJ on the OME system. I now have a GMC Canyon and am planning on the OME system for it.

rtis2-vi.jpg

Reactions: Downs and geekyadam