Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

There is no separate bike forum here that I could find, and those I've seen in other adventure forums dedicated to bikes are seldom used, so I'm asking here before going to bike-centric forums.

I'd like to swap out the pedals on my Sondors eBike for quick release pedals, both for storage and security. They will make it much easier and less obtrusive when stowing in the van, to not have pedals sticking out, especially on the starboard side up against my side cupboards. And, when running into town for supplies and locking my bike up in some new-to-me place, will make it more difficult to just cut and peddle away.

Anyone here have any real-life experience of their own with removable pedals that are quick release? I'd like them to be stable, not wobbly like some fold-up pedals I've seen, and able to quick release and put back in without locking pins or rings, which I'd have to carry extra of, I'm sure.

Whaddya have and like/dislike about them?

sondorsx-invan-800.jpg

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

I had to google that. Never heard of quick release pedals before. I thought it was going to be a question about SPDs or Look type pedals.
The ones I just looked at were made by MKS and they have been making good parts for a long time (at least since I started paying attention to such things in the 80s).
Worth a shot I’d say.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I had to google that. Never heard of quick release pedals before. I thought it was going to be a question about SPDs or Look type pedals.
The ones I just looked at were made by MKS and they have been making good parts for a long time (at least since I started paying attention to such things in the 80s).
Worth a shot I’d say.
Yes, I found those when doing a simple search, too.

The MKS price range for quick release pedals is from $19 to $100.

I'm hoping someone with hands-on experience with different quick-release pedals chimes in, too.

Appreciate your help!

Last edited:

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
That's a new twist since I worked in a bike shop 40 years ago. I thought at first you were referring to quick release pedals that are used with riding cleats/shoes. Good ideer but don't forget the tremendous force a pedal and crank arm has to take at times. If you are actually going to pedal that electric bike? Or, standing on them for support and shock absorption. Have to follow this and ask my bike buddy what he knows about them.

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

That's a new twist since I worked in a bike shop 40 years ago. I thought at first you were referring to quick release pedals that are used with riding cleats/shoes. Good ideer but don't forget the tremendous force a pedal and crank arm has to take at times. If you are actually going to pedal that electric bike? Or, standing on them for support and shock absorption. Have to follow this and ask my bike buddy what he knows about them.
Good point Fishincrzy on the force that pedals and crank arms take.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Road:
While I don't have direct experience with the quick release, EBR forum members seem to use these in addition to MKS .

Actually thanks for bringing this forth. I have a folder that these would work on better than the Wellgo fold away ones that I have now.
Thanks for the link; I'll check out the lixada and see what else they have. If you get some, please let us know how you like 'em!
I know, right? That's why I'm asking before investing, to see if anyone has real hands...well, feet-on experience. Let me know what your pal thinks, or if he has any personal experience with them.

I pedal a lot--it's a major element of fitness when I'm out wandering--and ride standing on the pedals a lot, too. So if there's a quick release pedal out there that is sturdier and better than others, that someone's used a lot and recommend, I'd like to know more about it.

The main reasons for a quick release pedal, as I put in the original post, is to be able t quickly remove the pedals for storing my bike in the van. I loosen the handlebar clamp and turn it sideways so it's not sticking out into the "aisle" and want to do the same with the pedals. It will also make it harder to just ride away if someone wants to cut and grab it when I'm in a store or something.

The other thing I might do is just get a pedal wrench and take the whole arm and pedal off. Though that's nowhere near as convenient and a lot more time-consuming. If there's a good sturdy quick-release pedal, that'd be my 1st choice.

Might not seem like much, though just that pedal sticking out can get in the way in a small space, when everything else is on a flatter plane. I'm always sliding some container or another in on the floor while camping or underway. I'm mocking up layouts for new cabinets, organization, overall efficiency and comfort, and know from experience I'll wish that pedal was out of the way, especially in the dark. I've banged a shin on it more than once in the past.

210413_6011-700.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
@Road , my bike buddy and former shop owner didn't know anything and was a little skeptical about something that was quick release being safe, etc. I sent him the link. I think it's certainly possible with the right materials and engineering. Like you, I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. Can't imagine anyone would under-engineer it and open themselves for a suit.

Reactions: 1boarder and Road

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
It might be worth contacting a couple of the smaller folding bike makers, like BikeFriday or Montague, and asking them. They'd probably know the reputable brands.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road , my bike buddy and former shop owner didn't know anything and was a little skeptical about something that was quick release being safe, etc. I sent him the link. I think it's certainly possible with the right materials and engineering. Like you, I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. Can't imagine anyone would under-engineer it and open themselves for a suit.
I know. . . and some are sold for mountain bikes, which I'd think have to endure even more stress and force.

Looks like most of them have a spindle that goes all the way through the quick release receiver, like the Lixada @OrTrek linked to (closeup below), which would be more substantial than the connection of most quick release fittings I know of, like water or propane quick release connections, and transfer stress to the crank like a regular petal, one would hope. The whole thing put together seems maybe as stout as the threaded portion of conventional pedals:

quick release pedal-lixada.png

It might be worth contacting a couple of the smaller folding bike makers, like BikeFriday or Montague, and asking them. They'd probably know the reputable brands.
Oh yeah, I plan on hitting up the local Allspeed Bike & Snow shop to see what they know and suggest for both quick release and folding pedals. If I can get a good quick-release, it has the added advantage of discouraging theft, or delaying escape with the bike, which could be handy in places.

I've never been a big bike guy so haven't stayed up on what brands and companies do what. But I love my Sondors and depend on it as emergency transport, errand runner, workhorse for gathering firewood and more, and all around fun machine that helps keep me fit.

I appreciate the BikeFriday and Montague names.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

1boarder

Rank I

Contributor III

Placer County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Burwell
There is no separate bike forum here that I could find, and those I've seen in other adventure forums dedicated to bikes are seldom used, so I'm asking here before going to bike-centric forums.

I'd like to swap out the pedals on my Sondors eBike for quick release pedals, both for storage and security. They will make it much easier and less obtrusive when stowing in the van, to not have pedals sticking out, especially on the starboard side up against my side cupboards. And, when running into town for supplies and locking my bike up in some new-to-me place, will make it more difficult to just cut and peddle away.

Anyone here have any real-life experience of their own with removable pedals that are quick release? I'd like them to be stable, not wobbly like some fold-up pedals I've seen, and able to quick release and put back in without locking pins or rings, which I'd have to carry extra of, I'm sure.

Whaddya have and like/dislike about them?

View attachment 194056

As a very active Mountain Biker, I’d never personally use a quick release peddle. It only takes a minute to take them off as is. Just my opinion.

Reactions: FishinCrzy and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

As a very active Mountain Biker, I’d never personally use a quick release peddle. It only takes a minute to take them off as is. Just my opinion.
And a valid, experienced one at that. Much appreciated. As I've found with so many things in life, oftentimes the simplest way to do something is the best and most efficient.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I wasn't even sure those were an actual thing lol!! Me personally, I would just take the extra few minutes to remove the pedals if its that much of an issue. I feel like trying to go with a quick release could be kinda detrimental to the pedal and possibly crank arm. There's a lot of force that goes through that assembly and I would not trust it in the long run, but I don't have any hands on personal experience with them either. Also another thing to think of is since it is a quick release then it's completely possible that striking something on a trail could possibly cause it to release and then you have a run away pedal while biking lol! Just my thoughts!! Hope you find what works for you.

Reactions: 1boarder and Road