Biggest waste of money (let's learn something)

• HTML tutorial

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

Well I didnt buy them I got OME lift with the car, their good Offroad but on road they are so stiff I feel like I'm on a camel ride, but then again my first lift was fox coil overs, maybe it's just me I'm changing the to Fox shocks soon enough.

Please do give input if it's just me.

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

AndyH

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Warriewood NSW, Australia
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hempsall
Member #

Probably my last vehicle. Nothing wrong with it at all, and it went everywhere I needed to go. But I always had this odd feeling and never really felt comfortable with it. Was slightly too small to get my gear in (often had to carry extra stuff for work on trips), and could never get it set up how I wanted to.

In retrospect I should have kept the ute/pickup I had before and developed that further.

Montanarally

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Flathead Valley, Montana, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Browning
Member #

Iron man bumper for a 200 series. The mounts are junk and bend very easily. Had to have custom mounts made and then the bumper it's self needed reinforced . Over all should have gone with a tjm or Arb. I'd skip there products or at least there bumpers

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

NV.Recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reno, Nevada
Member #

I have friends who swear by these CAI's. Good to know. I always had some reservations.
Ya, I had high hopes but these are really more trouble than they are worth. If you want improvement than just do yourself a favor and buy a snorkel. By moving the intake up and out of the engine compartment, you will get cleaner cooler air. After pulling my K&N off my old Tacoma, there was a very noticeable amount of dirt that was sucked in, even with regular cleaning and oiling.

OB 3319

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Sometimes we learn more from our mistakes.

What's the worst accessory or product that didn't deliver or wasn't worth the money for you?

I probably have many...

Poison Spyder hood vent for my jeep (doesn't reduce my engine temps at all)
REI Quarter Dome tent (rainfly window came out completely leaving a huge hole)
Flowmaster HP2 exhaust (way too loud and droned on the highway, droned everywhere)
Yep, those hood vents keep the engine compartment cooler, but won't do anything for engine temp. If you want to run cooler, change the temp range of the thermostat.

As for the Flowmaster, I had one on an earlier Jeep GC. Sounded very nice in idle, but never noticed improvement in gas mileage while driving. And you are right about the drone...it can be pretty annoying after a bit.

Reactions: RealMcCoy

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

I bought a 2013 Ford Raptor as a daily driver and a family Overland vehicle. A year in I realized how annoying a big truck was to navigate, park, & manuver around town. It only seats 5. There are limited overlanding parts options. The bed isn't really big enough to do much with. 6.2L was loud, thirsty, and due to no fault of my own, made me drive very aggressively. [emoji119] It wasn't particularly great off-road or in adverse conditions on road. It was fun, but I was happy to move on to a 13 LR4. Speaking of which, anyone need any F150 parts? [emoji137]

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I bought a 2013 Ford Raptor as a daily driver and a family Overland vehicle. A year in I realized how annoying a big truck was to navigate, park, & manuver around town. It only seats 5. There are limited overlanding parts options. The bed isn't really big enough to do much with. 6.2L was loud, thirsty, and due to no fault of my own, made me drive very aggressively. [emoji119] It wasn't particularly great off-road or in adverse conditions on road. It was fun, but I was happy to move on to a 13 LR4. Speaking of which, anyone need any F150 parts? [emoji137]
Funny you say that. I was looking at Raptors to see how worthy they are, but I feel like they are best suited for Baja style activities after looking into it some more.

Reactions: The_Just

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

Funny you say that. I was looking at Raptors to see how worthy they are, but I feel like they are best suited for Baja style activities after looking into it some more.
You nailed it. Baja, I wouldn't have anything else. Tight Jeep trails, often between trees? Not happening. Parts availability was a big issue too. Because not many people overland them, there aren't many aftermarket overlanding parts. I also didn't really like the style of the stuff available. To each, their own.

The LR4 can make a U turn, park in a regular size spot, seat 7/5+ gear, lots of overlanding parts available, gets 13.2mpg instead of 11.2mpg, and even looks civilized. [emoji14]

Reactions: boehml and ASNOBODY

TDGarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

Interesting...I currently own a Jeep Rubicon and a LR4 and I'm itching for a 2017 Ram Power Wagon. The size concerns me, but I didn't think of it as a serious issue. I have a hard time squeezing my 5 y.o. twins with gear in the Jeep and I can with the LR4 but it's a 2013 with 81K miles on it and I was thinking of replacing it with the Power Wagon. Hmm...

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

11-13 LR4 has 5L V8, seats 7, possible Heavy Duty package (two lockers), lots of overland parts. Solid option. They have been very competitively priced lately if you don't mind the miles. I've seen them closer to $20k w miles and up to $42k low miles CPO, whatever fits your scenario best.

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Interesting...I currently own a Jeep Rubicon and a LR4 and I'm itching for a 2017 Ram Power Wagon. The size concerns me, but I didn't think of it as a serious issue. I have a hard time squeezing my 5 y.o. twins with gear in the Jeep and I can with the LR4 but it's a 2013 with 81K miles on it and I was thinking of replacing it with the Power Wagon. Hmm...
People try to compare power wagons to raptors. They are totally different animals with totally different purposes. A wagon is not made for speed offroad. I use mine for overland and pull a travel trailer fulltime. In the right hands it will do things stock that stock jeeps struggle with. A raptor is an amazing rig, but it is a half ton with a purpose to play. It is very easy to overload one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BlkWgn

Rank 0

Contributor II

People try to compare power wagons to raptors. They are totally different animals with totally different purposes. A wagon is not made for speed offroad. I use mine for overland and pull a travel trailer fulltime. In the right hands it will do things stock that stock jeeps struggle with. A raptor is an amazing rig, but it is a half ton with a purpose to play. It is very easy to overload one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Exactly, they both are purpose built, but not for the same purpose, but it seems to be one of the most popular Internet comparisons. I love my wagon, and it will easily go places that a raptor would struggle with, but when you hit an open stretch of dirt there is no way I could keep up with a raptor

Sent via carrier pigeon

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Ya, I had high hopes but these are really more trouble than they are worth. If you want improvement than just do yourself a favor and buy a snorkel. By moving the intake up and out of the engine compartment, you will get cleaner cooler air. After pulling my K&N off my old Tacoma, there was a very noticeable amount of dirt that was sucked in, even with regular cleaning and oiling.

OB 3319
x2 on the K&N air intake system. I put one on my Jeep over a decade ago and found it to be a huge waste of money. Ended up spending even more money to buy a pre-filter to slip on over it in order to help it filter as well as the OEM configuration did. Oh well, you live and learn.

The other waste of money, for me, was a Borla exhaust system. Terrible product (I went through multiple exhausts in just a couple years due to shoddy welds and poor quality metal) and terrible customer service (it took months to receive each warranty replacement). Million mile warranty? Yeah, right. I'll never buy another product from them again.

Reactions: TDGarage

RealMcCoy

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rhode Island
Member #

Torsion bar lift for a 97 GMC K1500. It rides like shit. Some day I'll rip it off and put a real lift on. Also trying to save money on cheap shocks. Replaced them with less then 2k on them. I found if you are going to spend money and time do it right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk