Biggest waste of money (let's learn something)

• HTML tutorial

TDGarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

Sometimes we learn more from our mistakes.

What's the worst accessory or product that didn't deliver or wasn't worth the money for you?

I probably have many...

Poison Spyder hood vent for my jeep (doesn't reduce my engine temps at all)
REI Quarter Dome tent (rainfly window came out completely leaving a huge hole)
Flowmaster HP2 exhaust (way too loud and droned on the highway, droned everywhere)

TDGarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

in hindsight it appears these Jeeps just run hot. 219-229 degrees in the summer seems to be the norm. I thought I can get the truck to run cooler by venting the hood....wrong. Coolant temp didn't change at all (using a digital temp gauge)

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I could see it reducing under hood temps. Would you consider adding an auxiliary electric fan?

TDGarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

That was my logic but it didn't work out that way.

I'd consider it but at this point I've accepted that this is the normal temp range for this engine.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I went to electrics for the extra airflow during low engine speed / low vehicle speed crawling, not due to any overheating issues.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

in hindsight it appears these Jeeps just run hot. 219-229 degrees in the summer seems to be the norm. I thought I can get the truck to run cooler by venting the hood....wrong. Coolant temp didn't change at all (using a digital temp gauge)
My TJ never goes over 210. The only time I had an issue was in direct desert sun with air temps above 115 driving slower than 20 mph for a prolonged period of time.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

15" wheels. Not only did I have to grind the front calipers, but I ended up replacing them with 17" wheels a year and a half later. I originally went with 15's because the tires were cheaper, in the long run it was more expensive, lol.

Reactions: Radrunner14

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

With my first Jeep TJ I went cheap on a rear cargo rack that bolted directly to the tailgate. Primarily I wanted to haul extra fuel in Jerry cans and the rack had a place on each side to hold a 5 gallon can. Rather than spending $600-$1000 or more on a swingout tire carrier that allowed you to carry cans I spent $300 on the cargo rack. The main issue is it put a lot of stress on the tailgate and one of the bolts pulled through the sheet metal. I learned my lesson and after that Jeep was totaled, I ponied up the money to put a proper swing out tire carrier bumper on my new Jeep.

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I'd say my biggest mistake was putting 35's on my old 67 FJ40. I couldn't stand the on road manners and sold it off about a year later. I know if I had kept the 33's I'd probably still have it to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Nick74

Rank III

Advocate II

Mine was a very expensive bad product. A 2008 Nissan Patrol CRD Manual. Cost me mid $30k to buy and in the three years I owned it I spent about $17k repairing it. Not modifying it or servicing it............. just was a total pile of you know what

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Cory1139

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

With my first Jeep TJ I went cheap on a rear cargo rack that bolted directly to the tailgate. Primarily I wanted to haul extra fuel in Jerry cans and the rack had a place on each side to hold a 5 gallon can. Rather than spending $600-$1000 or more on a swingout tire carrier that allowed you to carry cans I spent $300 on the cargo rack. The main issue is it put a lot of stress on the tailgate and one of the bolts pulled through the sheet metal. I learned my lesson and after that Jeep was totaled, I ponied up the money to put a proper swing out tire carrier bumper on my new Jeep.
Are you talking about the warrior products adventure rack?

Sent from my E6782 using OB Talk mobile app

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Purchased a plate steel rear bumper, and within 3 months, realized I should have bought the high clearance option. I had avoided that because I was nervous about chopping body panels on a new truck. Instead, I ended up doing it anyway, AND getting a high clearance bumper.

Lesson: don't ever settle for a less ideal mod that you'll end up replacing later. Do it right the first time!

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

mountainkatt

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

A cheap lift. It's very, very springy.

We purchased the Zone 3" lift because it came in sub $700 for us with disconnects, gave us room for bigger tires and flex-space to play. A couple years down the road now, its very soft on corners and with the tent open in high winds I feel like I'm sleeping on a boat. However, it's in.... so the idea of pulling it out on top of spending another minimum $1200-1300 for a better lift... not going to happen just yet.

Reactions: The_Just

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

A cheap lift. It's very, very springy.

We purchased the Zone 3" lift because it came in sub $700 for us with disconnects, gave us room for bigger tires and flex-space to play. A couple years down the road now, its very soft on corners and with the tent open in high winds I feel like I'm sleeping on a boat. However, it's in.... so the idea of pulling it out on top of spending another minimum $1200-1300 for a better lift... not going to happen just yet.
That's one thing I made sure I went with a reputable name, especially for shocks. I spent more coin on my shocks than I did on my lift, $1000 lift $1500 shocks, lol.

Reactions: mountainkatt

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
I have probably wasted thousands on cheap gear over the years, only to have to replace it with better equipment after the cheap crap failed. The latest I can remember were Smittybilt tire deflators. They didn't even make it through one deflation on my power wagon. Bought ARB as soon as we got back. It was the same price. For me, I will NEVER buy anything from Smittybilt ever again. To each their own, I know lots of people like their stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

NV.Recon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reno, Nevada
Member #

I got my 285/70R 17's KO2 to fit my stock Jeep and within three months got the OME lift and could have gotten the 315/70's. Now I have to wait till I wear them out..
Just did the same thing on my Tundra. Only 5k on them and I cant wait to wear em out. My wife would kill me if I got rid of them already

OB 3319

Reactions: 9Mike2