Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Flannery
Member #

I’m going to be dumping photos as my buddy (Fabricator), wife and I build the best budget overland rig we can. We are gonna try to keep to a pretty tight budget, but that won’t mean cutting any corners.
Base of the build is a 2005 Ford F-250 Superduty SCSB. (Super cab, Short box)

We kinda fell into the overlanding scene as I was looking to sell one of my older Downhill mountian bikes as it didn’t get a ton of use since I moved to Phoenix. We got an offer we couldn’t pass up, a RRT and trailer as a trade for the mountain bike. We got a very lightly used 23Zero RTT and a trailer and started the path of piecing together a worthy rig.

Attachments

JnP’s Overland

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Smyer Texas
First Name
James
Last Name
Harding
Member #

I’m going to be dumping photos as my buddy (Fabricator), wife and I build the best budget overland rig we can. We are gonna try to keep to a pretty tight budget, but that won’t mean cutting any corners.
Base of the build is a 2005 Ford F-250 Superduty SCSB. (Super cab, Short box)
Looks good I had an 07 F-250 you have the diesel or gas engine?

We kinda fell into the overlanding scene as I was looking to sell one of my older Downhill mountian bikes as it didn’t get a ton of use since I moved to Phoenix. We got an offer we couldn’t pass up, a RRT and trailer as a trade for the mountain bike. We got a very lightly used 23Zero RTT and a trailer and started the path of piecing together a worthy rig.

SandStorm87

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bow WA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Krsak
Member #

I look forward to fallowing your build, I have a 2006 F250 SCLB with the 6.0 powerstroke

Reactions: Clarkbre

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
What part of Phoenix you from? I’m in Maricopa. I’m debating on turning my 6.0 into a off-road build. They’re awesome trucks once they’re bulletproofed. I had no issues for the 5 years I owned mine and then it went to hell last year. Almost 15k for the bulletproof.

BroncoFreestyle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Braden
Last Name
Flannery
Member #

What part of Phoenix you from? I’m in Maricopa. I’m debating on turning my 6.0 into a off-road build. They’re awesome trucks once they’re bulletproofed. I had no issues for the 5 years I owned mine and then it went to hell last year. Almost 15k for the bulletproof.
We are up in Deer Valley. I agree on them being great trucks my only gripe other than the bulletproof cost (10k)Is the departure angle on these trucks, even with the short bed it is not great. A lift and tires should help a bit. Otherwise we just scrape the hitch. I have put 100k on mine since I’ve owned it. And they are pretty solid on the trail the gearing is solid and you can’t beat the low end torque of the diesel. I am going to post a bigger post later today or tomorrow to catch up to the current status of the build and updates.

BroncoFreestyle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Braden
Last Name
Flannery
Member #

Ok , Loads of Updates, Fails and general catching up;
Where to start...
as I mentioned I traded a mountain bike for a trailer and roof top tent; A very gently used 23 zero tent and Annex. and the trailer Isn't much but its sturdy; but has some issues; we can go into them later.
E2AD2D46-482D-4B64-B62B-C5DE3F191495_1_201_a.jpeg
Now I am not a person who has the patience to take a trailer off-road; Two axles is plenty; on top of this the trailer was sturdy but needed some TLC; which doing an full trailer outfit and truck outfit seemed like double the work; So not going the trailer route. Also our starting platform wont run into the GVWR issues as fast as smaller platforms; Being an already bulletproofed 3/4 ton truck; we have a have greater capability for storage and hauling. We are going for a Mount, Romp, break, Upgrade, Repeat. Starting off we went for a less than traditional design of our rack; 2 inch square tube .095 wall. the design is a double layer design on the rack for two reasons; Protection for the tent from impacts and mounting points for things down the road as we build this rack further; we are fish mouthing the legs for strength and rigidity. down to 2 inch angle iron on the bed rails; we are mounting the tent at the height of the roof to save some headache from decreased MPGs and Low clearance areas be them on or off-road.
7AD224A9-E205-4D1E-B237-8CD0B847298F.jpeg IMG 1.jpg

Now this design in living with it has some super apparent flaws I will point out later; weight is not directly one of them surprisingly;

here is the first big fabrication fail; measure more than twice before cutting; also my buddy and I are bad at Napkin geometry;
E6892788-75D2-4C46-8072-BC7B68F368A1.jpeg

we wanted to Kickers to be at a 45 degree angle for maximum stability, but unfortunately we forgot how triangles worked we had our height and our angles we wanted; but clearly did not do the math right; so we went back to the drawing board on how to make the legs land on the 2 inch angle iron attached to the bed rails; this is a learning experience; ( Since then we picked up an awesome program called Bend-Tech and a tube bender; V2 is gonna be way better.... Moving on; we corrected the Legs by changing the angle of the legs from 45 degrees to 62 degrees; a whole lot of measuring, welding and beers later.... Version 1 is complete.
DCA97383-5797-4B66-8FB9-35CD625AB11E.jpeg 1037E05A-087D-48FB-A981-59C1D62F218D.jpeg
as you can see with the double Ring design we have plenty of room to mount things by the tent; such as an awning, storage boxes, Tools, Ect..
But first now that we have the tent mounted, Its time to go romp;
First trip with the tent is Sedona, Az. We took Dry Lake Road Trail to Devils Bridge; no wheeling pictures of that. I'll make sure to get some next trip.
C4D1C8C0-7D3D-4035-BF74-318895AFF24A.jpeg
We then make our way to Lower Oak Creek, for a camp spot near the Creek; Unfortunately due to garbage and people not packing trash the campsite we wanted has been permanently closed. Campground Closure FR89b, This is what happens when you dont take care of public lands. we found camp higher off the road; still too packed for my liking; we had some late night visitors; but the view helped belay any frustrations;
CF93434C-9B18-458E-81A4-544A85E7081D.jpeg 5A97142F-00D2-47F5-8F43-991689ED7669.jpeg 93A62F56-CE01-4FB1-B343-1FCD5AAF50C5.jpeg

It was a balmy 26 degrees that morning; the tent worked flawlessly; it was a little chilly due to the fact we have only loaded it up with blankets and a dog at that time, condensation was minimum; we have since gotten a queen sized sleeping bag that fits the tent perfectly;
quick hike for the day, down to the creek;
97B2434F-C847-429B-9DE2-C0C65D1C5309.jpeg

Then a quick run back to home;

Ok, Next Post Ill get into all the issues we discovered on this trip with Version 1 of the Rack; As Version 2 is still in the planning stage; Input is appreciated!

Last edited:

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Looking great! You have the best wheel based super duty for overlanding!

We have the second best CCSB.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I sort of dropped the ball on the "BUDGET BUILD SIDE" ! Oh well?

start of the wrap.jpg

Reactions: BroncoFreestyle

BroncoFreestyle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Braden
Last Name
Flannery
Member #

Okay, I know it’s been 4 years we have upgraded tweaked and learned, we ended up keeping version 1 of the rack.
V2 is still stuck on the napkin.
We have put nearly 50k miles of trips and abuse. We have developed a curse, every trip in the last 4 years has been at/ near freezing. I’ll dump a bunch of photos and details soon. And updates issues I’ve discovered with long term use.