Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks. Work in progress. What keeps me up at night is weight. I'm working on that slowly... anything 'light' is 'expensive' of course.
I hear ya. I drive a GMC long wheelbase diesel van. It's heavy, though goes anywhere I've wanted it to for years; backcountry or not.

The only two times I've ever had trouble when towing my 3500GVW trailer, is on fresh-mown grass in state parks. Both times. Everywhere else, mud, ice, snow, gravel, dirt, no problem. I run mine through the truck stop scales every once in awhile to see how I'm doing in my weight-distribution.

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

my last truck was a f-350 super duty with 8' bed, so when i bought the tundra, i didn't consider it a "full size" pickup, but i guess it is. the tundra has turned out to be the perfect size for the way we overland....it has a better turning radius than the f-350 and is a good bit shorter, but still can carry a good bit of gear and i can stretch out completely in the back with no problems. with the shell, cargo rack and swing out carrier, i can carry everything we need to make extended trips, even in very remote areas.
and when coupled with the small camp trailer, it makes a great base camp/exploring set up

View attachment 196079
Grubworm, great looking rig. What bed shell and trailer are you you running?

Reactions: grubworm

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Spent some time on the NMBDR, then one last night on a piece of the ERT.

Attachments

MikeMunz

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Munzinger
Member #

Wish I would’ve kept a thread on the build process but this is my 2005 Ford F-150 (2WD) that is my weekend and vacation overland rig as well as my daily driver. I use this truck for small weekend trips and longer vacation trips when I have the time and will soon be getting a locker to get to some of the harder to reach spots now that I’m using it more. It’s currently leveled with Bilstien shocks and has 34” Wrangler Duratracs. I have a second battery in the rear where I removed one of my seats. Charging that battery is a renogy solar charger and 100W solar panel. This is where I run my cell booster and small electronics while on the trail. If anyone has any questions I’d be glad to answer them!

Michael

Attachments

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Wish I would’ve kept a thread on the build process but this is my 2005 Ford F-150 (2WD) that is my weekend and vacation overland rig as well as my daily driver. I use this truck for small weekend trips and longer vacation trips when I have the time and will soon be getting a locker to get to some of the harder to reach spots now that I’m using it more. It’s currently leveled with Bilstien shocks and has 34” Wrangler Duratracs. I have a second battery in the rear where I removed one of my seats. Charging that battery is a renogy solar charger and 100W solar panel. This is where I run my cell booster and small electronics while on the trail. If anyone has any questions I’d be glad to answer them!

Michael
Looks like a pretty sweet setup, you should make a thread on it. Any neat places you have taken it?

Reactions: Sparksalot

MikeMunz

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Munzinger
Member #

Looks like a pretty sweet setup, you should make a thread on it. Any neat places you have taken it?
I’m planning on making a thread because I know things like my solar setup and universal ARB setup would help some people. Challenging building an older rig that doesn’t have custom fit parts. Lot of trial and error.

I’ve only really taken it to Flagstaff and Sedona and done trails up there because I’m at school full time with a full time job but I get out as much as possible. Planning a trip to Moab next year with a coworker of mine which will be quite an experience.

Reactions: Jaytperry89