Big Easy - International S1700 Short Bus Build

• HTML tutorial

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

She's BIG and she's LOUD, say hello to our new build a 1986 International Short Bus!
P1000361.JPG P1000362.JPG
No this is not a "Bus Life" build, we have no intentions to live out of it, just travel and camping much like my previous 4x4 Manual Trans E-350 Van build wasn't a "van-life" van. And don't worry about Ellie the E-350, not getting rid of her anytime soon.
Main reasons for this purchase is similar to the move from a Jeep Wagoneer to a Van; family size, we just need more space/seats. Secondarily she was massively cheaper than a Uhaul and we're probably moving soon, so in the short term I was able to convince my lovely wife we needed the bus ;)

Short term plans are already mostly complete, she's been serviced by a certified diesel mechanic (I do not trust state government maintenance), and all the seats I don't want are removed. Next on the list is redoing the front brakes and if I can find the right axle in time before the move do a rear axle swap.
P1000377.JPG P1000366.JPG P1000368.JPG

Reason for the axle swap is fairly simple, the old girl has a tired 6.9l naturally aspirated diesel and a TALL 5.57 gear ratio; I'd like to go 55 mph without going full WOT. Second, her front and rear GVWR ratings are the same as the GAW rating of axles found in F-450/550s and Dodge 5500s, of which the Dana S110 or S111 in those can be found with a Detroit TrueTrack style LSD (which, if you've seen my van build I'm a fan of). If I can find a 4x4 F-550 or something also at public auction, perfect parts vehicle for me (though this will likely still be after she's done her duty as a moving vehicle).

Long term plans, 4x4 swap obviously! I can't leave well enough alone and building is fun :)
As mentioned earlier the GAW of a D60 out of a F-450/550 matches the bus, so that'll likely be our route as they're easy to find. An NP205 divorced case should work nicely in place of the carrier bearing.
That and we're considering either turbo-ing the old 6.9l IDI or doing a swap to a Cummins 6BT or International DT360, something that is still mechanical but will provide better power/fuel economy (And if I can convince my wife, a MT swap!). The engine upgrade or swap is still in the air depending on which is better bang for the buck, she's got 170k miles on her but unknown service history so it may be better to invest in a swap than turbo a turd.
P1000374.JPG P1000376.JPG

Once the mechanical mods are done, that's when we'll build out the interior. I'm thinking something bunkhouse cabin style. One of the main reasons we didn't just buy an overland trailer or 4x4 RV (besides $$$) is they typically seem to be built for retirees or just couples, not large families. Also, where's the fun in not building it? We'd like to get at least 4 bunks in there and seating at least for 6 (besides the driver) but preferably 8. Wife and kiddos have asked for a small bathroom and a kitchenette would be nice but not necessary (luckily, we already managed to get her titled as a Motorhome). Below is kinda what we're thinking:
THE STRUGGLE BUS.jpg

Should be a fun and unique build, don't see many 4x4 buses anyway and I feel the need to fix that societal problem :)

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

So... bought the bus with the intention to move again. Unfortunately that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen as soon as I'd like.

On the bright side! I'm pickin up axles for her come this Thursday!!! Pics to come, it'll be an F-450 Dana 60 and Dana S110. So we'll start planning the 4x4 conversion and get this family wagon rolling. Biggest questions for me is what to do about the front steering and suspension.

I can either convert a post '05 Ford front axle to leaf spring (a lot of grinding involved in removing the radius arm brackets) and keep the steering as is. Or I can try and utilize swap kits for OBS Fords to use newer '05+ axles and try and modify the steering heavily to be that of a more conventional pickup truck (I'd have to swap steering boxes and make sure there's no clearance issues with a steering arm)

I'll take measurements once we have the axles in my garage and make the decision from there.

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

SO! A few weeks late but I have an excuse... First set of axles I had lined up the guy sold out from under me, took me a bit to find a new set and it was a bit of a longer drive to get. But here they are, a Dana S110 and Dana Super60 out of a Ford F550

P1000382.JPG

Included in the deal was a much newer set of wheels and tires than the (probably original) tires on my '86 bus and a NV271 electric shifting tcase. There are companied out there that make divorce kits for the 271 so that'll be my plan. I'll measure the front axle and my bus over this next week to determine if I want to hack off all the brackets and convert the axle to leaf spring or try and convert the bus front end to coils (I plan on whichever is easiest at this point)

Front axle is in definite need of the outers rebuilt, might do the center pumpkin too if I decide to go with a traction device (but that can always be done later). Unfortunately the data tag that'd tell me if the rear has the true track style LSD in it has been partially scratched off so idk if I'm lucky.

AND unfortunately Big Miss Ellie suffered engine trouble towing the axles home so now I need to figure that out. Went into limp mode and forced me to take it SLOOOOOOOOOW, something to do with the throttle body. Maybe she was gettin jealous I got another girl bigger axles :P
May need to treat her to a diesel swap to make amends (wife permitting)

Reactions: tjZ06

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

Taking some preliminary measurements, it doesn't look like things are going to line up easily for me:
P1000383.JPG P1000384.JPG P1000389.JPG

Coil mount to coil mount was 49" in width, the radius arm brackets were 39" wide, and unluckily the Bus's leaf springs were 38" wide (with the frame rails at 34" wide)

The coil bucket mounts would've been the easiest to cut off and replace with leaf spring perches, but that doesn't look like it will happen. So I need to decide if it's going to be easier to cut off the radius arm brackets (including the cast steel bits on the pumpkin) to replace them with leaf perches or try and fab-up/modify some super duty axle swap kit for the Bus.

It might be easier for suspension to go the "modify swap kit" route but then the steering gets more complicated. The heavy duty steering on the bus swings it's pitman arm parallel with the frame rather than horizontally/perpendicular like most light duty trucks. I''d need to convert it over to a more conventional steering box.

Reactions: Faneius

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

So still slightly delayed due to the engine death of my lovely van (still figuring that out) but I have some good news...

Upping my fabrication game!
Plasma Table.jpg

You know you are absolutely blessed in a wife when she's as excited for a new tool as you are

Built By Fluffy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Builder II

California, USA
Member #

So unfortunately (kinda) I have to kill this thread, we sold this bus months ago for a larger one and our plans have changed drastically

The new bus!
KIMG0100.JPG KIMG0096.JPG

She's a 93 International 8 window bus with the engine I wanted from the start. She's sitting at 28.5 ft long so we can still take her into pretty much all state and national parks. That said, she's now more of a straight up camper build rather than an overlander so I won't be documenting the rest of the build here. Thanks anyone who took interest, I do have further plans for my van though!

Reactions: Goldies and AggieOE