Jacksonville, FL, USA (North Mandarin)
First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
The geographically diverse Big Bend National Park in southwest Texas has a combination of improved and back-country roads from the forested Chisos Mountains basin to the Chihuahuan high desert plains at nearly 8,000 ft.

Although camping is permitted in the back-country, reservations are not available and the sites are not large enough for group camping. We have reserved 2 group camping sites that can accommodate a maximum of 4 vehicles each. There is a minimum requirement of 9 people at each camp site so RSVP early so that we can get a headcount well in advance.

We are traveling from Jacksonville, FL to Big Bend with overnight stops in Pensacola/Gulf Shores and San Antonio. Let us know if you want to meet up along the way!

View Rally Point

FX4Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Hood, TX, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
H
Member #

I have 2 FRS/GMRS handhelds and an in-cabin in my truck. Planning on bringing my X-venture trailer. Would be interested in the meet up in San Antonio as I'm coming from Austin.
I’m coming from Fort Hood area and I’ll probably take the back roads until I get to I10. Possibly meet up there.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Was just there over Thanksgiving camping on a friends 1,500 acres that abuts the NP. We had a low of 37, a high of 87, rain three night (one heavy) and strong winds two of the five nights. The topography and geology is unlike any other TX/AZ/NM/UT park has to offer. On our friends property he has an area he goes to every late spring and summer to look for fossils. We found more than 100 sharks teeth and a true bone fossil that he sent to a friend who is a paleontologist who lives PT in Terlingua. The hot springs were accessible as the river was high, but only a few inches from the top of the damned area. The Rio was COLD! Old Ore Road is worth the travel but it is in rough shape in areas from washouts not improved by the Parks. Enjoy it. If you can head into Terlingua to the Starlight Theater for lunch or dinner. Great spot, great food, great history, great service.

Attachments

Gen5Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
Thanks for the info! We too were in the park this past week but had clear weather. It was a bit windy but temps during the day were warm enough for short sleeves. Needed extra heat overnight though, this FL girl was freezing?

Gen5Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
Was just there over Thanksgiving camping on a friends 1,500 acres that abuts the NP. We had a low of 37, a high of 87, rain three night (one heavy) and strong winds two of the five nights. The topography and geology is unlike any other TX/AZ/NM/UT park has to offer. On our friends property he has an area he goes to every late spring and summer to look for fossils. We found more than 100 sharks teeth and a true bone fossil that he sent to a friend who is a paleontologist who lives PT in Terlingua. The hot springs were accessible as the river was high, but only a few inches from the top of the damned area. The Rio was COLD! Old Ore Road is worth the travel but it is in rough shape in areas from washouts not improved by the Parks. Enjoy it. If you can head into Terlingua to the Starlight Theater for lunch or dinner. Great spot, great food, great history, great service.
Are u joining the rally?

Reactions: eagle_A40

Pwagonmike

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tatum, NM, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Presher
Member #

Are u joining the rally?
Hey I might want to attend if there’s room. I was wondering if you need to reserve a campsite or anything like that ?

Gen5Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
We have campsites in Chisos basin. We need 9 people or may be bumped to an individual site(s). We will be there a couple of days early to check it out and let everyone know the plan

Gen5Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
We have campsites in Chisos basin. We need 9 people or may be bumped to an individual site(s). We will be there a couple of days early to check it out and let everyone know the plan

Pwagonmike

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tatum, NM, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Presher
Member #

K I’m going to try to come on Friday. Don’t mean to be wishy washy but I have to finish a job on Thursday.

Reactions: Gen5Runner

Gen5Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
Are u joining the rally?
Hey I might want to attend if there’s room. I was wondering if you need to reserve a campsite or anything like that ?
We have reserved group camping but might get kicked out if we don’t have 9 ppl per site. We’re arriving at the park
Early to cement plan b

Gen5Runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
J
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WG5RNR
Are u joining the rally?
We have reserved group camping but might get kicked out if we don’t have 9 ppl per site. We’re arriving at the park
Early to cement plan b