Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Hey guys,

First off I decided to post this under 'Trail Q&A' instead of 'Rig Q&A' because the thread has to do with the type of trail / terrain these tires perform best in.

For the last 30,000 miles I have been rolling around on 35'' BFG KO2's. These are some outstanding tires and most of the time I don't even have to air down on the sugar sand and rock to get traction. The BFG KO2 tires have some serious engineering woven into them to the point where I don't know if I personally think it is worth the upgrade to the new BFG KM3's.

Now, I have zero experience with these KM3 tires. I have only heard good things about these tires from guys who have run them via a Sponsor from BFG. These tires do seem like a better performer by a slight margin, however is that margin worth the 30% more cost per tire?

I will be needing a new set of (4) very soon and I have been contemplating these KM3 tires for some time now. On the flip side I have been content with these KO2s and see almost NO need in the minor upgrade in performance. I will be moving to Colorado and intend on using this rig as my daily driver as well as the weekend warrior. Feel free to express your opinions on which I should go for. I am very indecisive.

(picture of BFG KM3 tire) - Looking excellent!

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 3.13.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tritonl

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've run the BFG AT's, Mud terrains and the KO2's over some pretty nasty terrain. I haven't run the KO3's. The others worked well from hard core to dirt roads. The KO3's seem to be a good cross between AT and mud. From what I read their surprisingly quiet. I have a set of Cooper AT's now. Their performance is OK at best. I'm going to get a set of KO3's when these are done.

Most of my driving is street and dirt road. The few times I hit mud, snow or sand, I don't want to worry. Last weekend I was in snow and mud. All day I wished I had BFG's. My Coopers did not get along with what I was driving in.

Scott

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I had the cooper at3 tires on my pickup. I hated them on snow! Rocks and little mud they did ok. A work truck I had once had the bfg at on it. And they seemed like they got tore up pretty fast! Not like worn out fast like they chunked off pretty bad on dirt and rocks. Worked for the forest service at the time so I was every day on logging roads and low maintained roads and I was constantly having problems with those tires. We switched to goodyear mtr and had zero issue but that sucker was a heavy tire. That duratrack is a good one too. The km3s ive heard pretty good beta testing from the guys that have got to test them. Its kind of a cross like the other guy said. Is the ko3 the same thing as the km3?

Reactions: Nickzero

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I had the cooper at3 tires on my pickup. I hated them on snow! Rocks and little mud they did ok. A work truck I had once had the bfg at on it. And they seemed like they got tore up pretty fast! Not like worn out fast like they chunked off pretty bad on dirt and rocks. Worked for the forest service at the time so I was every day on logging roads and low maintained roads and I was constantly having problems with those tires. We switched to goodyear mtr and had zero issue but that sucker was a heavy tire. That duratrack is a good one too. The km3s ive heard pretty good beta testing from the guys that have got to test them. Its kind of a cross like the other guy said. Is the ko3 the same thing as the km3?
The KM3 is the new M/T offering from BFG which was unveiled last year. The tire in the picture. There is no such thing as KO3 as of now.

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

Hey guys,

First off I decided to post this under 'Trail Q&A' instead of 'Rig Q&A' because the thread has to do with the type of trail / terrain these tires perform best in.

For the last 30,000 miles I have been rolling around on 35'' BFG KO2's. These are some outstanding tires and most of the time I don't even have to air down on the sugar sand and rock to get traction. The BFG KO2 tires have some serious engineering woven into them to the point where I don't know if I personally think it is worth the upgrade to the new BFG KM3's.

Now, I have zero experience with these KM3 tires. I have only heard good things about these tires from guys who have run them via a Sponsor from BFG. These tires do seem like a better performer by a slight margin, however is that margin worth the 30% more cost per tire?

I will be needing a new set of (4) very soon and I have been contemplating these KM3 tires for some time now. On the flip side I have been content with these KO2s and see almost NO need in the minor upgrade in performance. I will be moving to Colorado and intend on using this rig as my daily driver as well as the weekend warrior. Feel free to express your opinions on which I should go for. I am very indecisive.

View attachment 85457
I've had the km3 since June , great tires so far. IMG_20190217_211910_690.jpeg

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I ran KO2's on my 3/4 ton trucks for over 20 years 285x75x16. I liked them, just not the price. I am now trying the TOYO AT's. Will see how they wear. So far i like them better in the WET. Before that, i ran the old style BFG mud-terrains on a 1/2 ton pickup 30x9.50x15. They allowed me to make it thru areas that were muddy after thawing above the freeze point. Worked well also in some snow..not deep, maybe a foot deep. Had a lunch box locker, so that helped, but some other drivers were stuck the whole day waiting for a temp. drop back below freezing to get out. They wore pretty good, but had some issues with sidewall cracking, and I never wore the tread out before the sidewall cracking, made them too questionable for safe use.

EDIT:
On my last set of (E-rated) KO2's, i had some 'chunking' on the rear tires, and some tread cracking on the front lugs. Not sure why, as they were used similar to prior sets.

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hey guys,

I run the K02 E class on the 4runner here in CO, Better behaviour on the road than most mud tires. We don't get that much mud here on the mountain trails in CO, Mostly crushed rock and gravel. There are a few places I've encountered red or black clay mud but not enough to switch to full time mud tires. Prairies however offer mud and sand in abundance. Some have told of problems in the snow with the KO2's but I can't say that I've had any issue. They've done well for me both on highway and off road.

Boort

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

So, quick tip, believe it or don't believe it. doesn't really matter to me.

My dad has worked at Michelin for quite some time, (they make BFG), and he informed me that the compound used in BFG offroad tires (all tires mentioned above) is specifically designed to wear like a transfer truck tire, they are designed for minimal wear on the road, and uses the softer compound treads for traction offroad, and most of them are "rated" by Michelin to last up to 300k miles.

they are great tires, the whole line up of them and the only difference in the km2 and the km3 is the tread pattern.

Reactions: Boort

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hey guys,

View attachment 85457
I ran with the KO2s, on my Jeep Cherokee, before that many times the T/As. I now have KM3s, I had one of the first set in town last August. I would give the edge to the KO2s in Snow, and Sand, and as a good all around tire. That’s what they were designed for right? I do like playing in the mud up in the Wheat fields in the spring. Also, places down in Pacific County in Washington State, fishing and there can be lots of clay.. For that, I needed more and the KM3s did much better, and still work in the Snow too as long as it is not Icey Snow, but at the expense of more road noise. If this is more off road and trail use, I would go the new KM3s. If pounding the road for miles on the daily grind, then the KO2s. So far, the KM3s are wearing well, but don’t have a ton of miles on them. Overlanders, again this is on my Jeep Cherokee which is a lighter vehicle. If you find yourself needing more tire for off reading with an A/T tire, then the KM3 is the go to tire. Vance.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I recommend the milestar patagonias i went from toyo mt 32" to milestar patagonia mt 33" they dont let me get stuck like the toyos did. 6000 miles so far as daily driver no wear or chipping yet. For cheaper tires im really impressed in them amd would reccomend to anyone doing serious offroading. Dont let the price of them let you think they are trash.
20190323_111633.jpg

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I recommend the milestar patagonias i went from toyo mt 32" to milestar patagonia mt 33" they dont let me get stuck like the toyos did. 6000 miles so far as daily driver no wear or chipping yet. For cheaper tires im really impressed in them amd would reccomend to anyone doing serious offroading. Dont let the price of them let you think they are trash.
View attachment 99713
I never heard of them. Must do research.
Driving a heavy diesel, and before a 3/4 ton gasser I have never gotten to 50,000 miles. 46,000 was my absolute best, by religiously rotating them. These were BFG KM2 all terrains. I'm trying TOYO AT2 now and see if I can reach that mileage gareentee.

Heavy trucks never, ever, get the mileage that same tire will get on a lighter vehicle. No matter how light on the go pedal, or keeping the torque smooth and light.

Please keep us informed on how they wear, or stay in balance etc. Thx.

P.S.. never seen them on display at discount tire or tire works, or pep boys.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

They are black lable you have to order them on internet, i think that some walmarts carry them but i wouldnt have them install em. They are e rated so should work on heavy trucks. They are better than the toyo open country at i had, in the rain the toyos were slippery on a midsize truck and i nearly wrecked out a few times in intersections and on sharp turns.

The toyos vs milestar 20190525_072743.jpg20190525_072758.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I watched some youtube videos on the milestars and in one a guy in a jeep crawls straight up a wet rock wall with them no problem, i was sold right there

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I never heard of them. Must do research.
Driving a heavy diesel, and before a 3/4 ton gasser I have never gotten to 50,000 miles. 46,000 was my absolute best, by religiously rotating them. These were BFG KM2 all terrains. I'm trying TOYO AT2 now and see if I can reach that mileage gareentee.

Heavy trucks never, ever, get the mileage that same tire will get on a lighter vehicle. No matter how light on the go pedal, or keeping the torque smooth and light.

Please keep us informed on how they wear, or stay in balance etc. Thx.

P.S.. never seen them on display at discount tire or tire works, or pep boys.
My 80 series scales out at 6300 lbs empty. With all our gear loaded up and dragging our trailer we are at 8,000 lbs. 7,000 on the truck and 1,000 lb trailer. My KO2 "E"s are currently at 35,000 miles. I've rotated them once and keep 36lbs of pressure in them. Of that 35k, 20 of them were long range touring loaded with all our gear and trailer. You state heavy trucks never ever get the same as a lighter vehicle. I'm getting the same, if not better mileage than I got with my 04 jeep Rubicon. I've heard from many folks though that Chevy, GMC and twin "I" beam ("IFS") Ford pickup trucks use tires up pretty quickly as they have always had minor alignment issues. Premature tire wear with anything BFG is most always the fault of vehicle engineering, poor driving habits or maintenance, (ie Tire pressure). I've read and spoken to a lot of guys with chevys that chew through tires way quicker than any other vehicles. You have a chevy or GMC?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
My 80 series scales out at 6300 lbs empty. With all our gear loaded up and dragging our trailer we are at 8,000 lbs. 7,000 on the truck and 1,000 lb trailer. My KO2 "E"s are currently at 35,000 miles. I've rotated them once and keep 36lbs of pressure in them. Of that 35k, 20 of them were long range touring loaded with all our gear and trailer. You state heavy trucks never ever get the same as a lighter vehicle. I'm getting the same, if not better mileage than I got with my 04 jeep Rubicon. I've heard from many folks though that Chevy, GMC and twin "I" beam ("IFS") Ford pickup trucks use tires up pretty quickly as they have always had minor alignment issues. Premature tire wear with anything BFG is most always the fault of vehicle engineering, poor driving habits or maintenance, (ie Tire pressure). I've read and spoken to a lot of guys with chevys that chew through tires way quicker than any other vehicles. You have a chevy or GMC?
Chevy IFS....diesel now, 2001 Chevy 2500 6.0 gasser before. Tires wore evenly along the tread, Everyone gets that outer edge wear to a point, due to wheel scrub, turning L/R, so rotation is important to maximize the tread life. Diesels are notorious for greater rear scrub due to the torque they put out. This is true to a lesser extent on us who drive like 'grandma and avoid hard go pedal driving. It just seems to be a fact of owning these trucks. My issue was the sidewall heat checking, before the tread was worn down to the wear bars. I think if that problem had not manifested itself, I would have gotten to the 50,000 mile point with at least 2 of the 4 sets of ko2 AT tires. I just didn't want to risk a blowout/tire failure at then 70-75 speed limits on the Interstate, which now at 80 mph in areas. My last set even had a couple of chunks of outer tread missing on the R/R tire. That had never happened before.

I once had a 1985 F-150 4x4, 6 cyl. with Fords twin beam IFS (Kelly AT then BFG MUD), and i got to 40,000-Kelly-tread gone, and 35,000 on the BFG before the heat checking manifested itself. On that occasion, I was towing at 45 mph on a State road when the sidewall failed. Felt it going down, so I was able to slow and pull off the road with no drama. The tire had a lot of tread left.
One of these days.......will have to go down to the scales at the truck stop,, and satisfy my curiosity as to what the truck actually weighs fully fueled and geared out. I think it will be in the 8,000 + range. No rack or camper shell, just what will fit in the bed. Bumper, winch, larger tires, bed tool box, at least 700 lb's without the bed filled......I think,,,,,,,,mmm!

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Chevy IFS....diesel now, 2001 Chevy 2500 6.0 gasser before. Tires wore evenly along the tread, Everyone gets that outer edge wear to a point, due to turning L/R, so rotation is important to maximize the tread life. Diesels are notorious for greater rear scrub due to the torque they put out. This is true to a lesser extent on us who drive like 'grandma' and avoid hard go pedal driving. It just seems to be a fact of owning these trucks. My issue was the sidewall heat checking, before the tread was worn down to the wear bars. I think if that problem had not manifested itself, I would have gotten to the 50,000 mile point with at least 2 of the 4 sets of ko2 AT tires. I just didn't want to risk a blowout/tire failure at then 70-75 speed limits on the Interstate, which now at 80 mph in areas. My last set even had a couple of chunks of outer tread missing on the R/R tire. That had never happened before.

I once had a 1985 F-150 4x4, 6 cyl. with Fords twin beam IFS (Kelly AT then BFG MUD), and i got to 40,000-Kelly-tread gone, and 35,000 on the BFG before the heat checking manifested itself. On that occasion, I was towing at 45 mph on a State road when the sidewall failed. Felt it going down, so I was able to slow and pull off the road with no drama. The tire had a lot of tread left.
One of these days.......will have to go down to the scales at the truck stop,, and satisfy my curiosity as to what the truck actually weighs fully fueled and geared out. I think it will be in the 8,000 + range. No rack or camper shell, just what will fit in the bed. Bumper, winch, larger tires, bed tool box, at least 700 lb's without the bed filled......I think,,,,,,,,mmm!
I had the same 150 way back when, ('86) that was a good truck.

Reactions: Desert Runner

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Boostpowered, I'm looking into purchasing the Milestar Patagonias and would appreciate an update since your last post. I'm interested in how they've worn, how effective they are off road in the different conditions, and if you have any steering wheel vibration at high speeds. Thanks!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Boostpowered, I'm looking into purchasing the Milestar Patagonias and would appreciate an update since your last post. I'm interested in how they've worn, how effective they are off road in the different conditions, and if you have any steering wheel vibration at high speeds. Thanks!
They are still great no problems at all for me in any weather, on road or off road condition. The tread is at about 40% after nearly 2 years.

Reactions: jazzy13