Best Trail Tire from BFG? | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Best Trail Tire from BFG?

Discussion in 'Trail Q&A' started by Nickzero, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!
Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
?

What's it guna be?

1. KO2

25.0%
  2. KM3

75.0%
  1. Nickzero

Nickzero Rank VI
    Benefactor Member

Member #:

Map
    #1 Nickzero, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Hey guys,

First off I decided to post this under 'Trail Q&A' instead of 'Rig Q&A' because the thread has to do with the type of trail / terrain these tires perform best in.

For the last 30,000 miles I have been rolling around on 35'' BFG KO2's. These are some outstanding tires and most of the time I don't even have to air down on the sugar sand and rock to get traction. The BFG KO2 tires have some serious engineering woven into them to the point where I don't know if I personally think it is worth the upgrade to the new BFG KM3's.

Now, I have zero experience with these KM3 tires. I have only heard good things about these tires from guys who have run them via a Sponsor from BFG. These tires do seem like a better performer by a slight margin, however is that margin worth the 30% more cost per tire?

I will be needing a new set of (4) very soon and I have been contemplating these KM3 tires for some time now. On the flip side I have been content with these KO2s and see almost NO need in the minor upgrade in performance. I will be moving to Colorado and intend on using this rig as my daily driver as well as the weekend warrior. Feel free to express your opinions on which I should go for. I am very indecisive.

(picture of BFG KM3 tire) - Looking excellent!

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 3.13.49 AM.png

tritonl likes this.
  2. smritte

smritte Rank III

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KO6BI
    Map
    I've run the BFG AT's, Mud terrains and the KO2's over some pretty nasty terrain. I haven't run the KO3's. The others worked well from hard core to dirt roads. The KO3's seem to be a good cross between AT and mud. From what I read their surprisingly quiet. I have a set of Cooper AT's now. Their performance is OK at best. I'm going to get a set of KO3's when these are done.

Most of my driving is street and dirt road. The few times I hit mud, snow or sand, I don't want to worry. Last weekend I was in snow and mud. All day I wished I had BFG's. My Coopers did not get along with what I was driving in.

Scott

3. Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85 Rank V

Member #:

Map
    I had the cooper at3 tires on my pickup. I hated them on snow! Rocks and little mud they did ok. A work truck I had once had the bfg at on it. And they seemed like they got tore up pretty fast! Not like worn out fast like they chunked off pretty bad on dirt and rocks. Worked for the forest service at the time so I was every day on logging roads and low maintained roads and I was constantly having problems with those tires. We switched to goodyear mtr and had zero issue but that sucker was a heavy tire. That duratrack is a good one too. The km3s ive heard pretty good beta testing from the guys that have got to test them. Its kind of a cross like the other guy said. Is the ko3 the same thing as the km3?

Nickzero likes this.
  4. Nickzero

Nickzero Rank VI
    Benefactor Member

Member #:

Map
    The KM3 is the new M/T offering from BFG which was unveiled last year. The tire in the picture. There is no such thing as KO3 as of now.

5. Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85 Rank V

Member #:

Map
    Ok I thought so. Yeah the km3 look pretty good. Ive heard they wear like steel

6. john casson

john casson Rank III

Member #:

Map
    I've had the km3 since June , great tires so far. IMG_20190217_211910_690.jpeg

Nickzero likes this.
  7. Nickzero

Nickzero Rank VI
    Benefactor Member

Member #:

Map
    I hear those km3s are performers.