Best Traction plates??

• HTML tutorial

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I think most people here will preach maxtraxx but theres lots out there that could suit your needs. Depending on trails you frequent and how much you may use them would dictate how much money Im willing to spend on them.

S

SubeeBen

X bull on eBay I think $74 $ same product. In my opinion works the same for a third of the price. Just my 2 cents ✌

Reactions: fightngillini25

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Many board options now, and the cheaper boards are being produced with better quality plastic. HOWEVER, the cheaper boards quickly become more expensive as soon as their sales numbers take off, and people discover them. And the price increase is substantial, not subtle.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I use maxtraxx, after I got them i drilled and replaced all the spikes with the metal replacement spikes and they work great now even with wheel spin.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I use maxtraxx, after I got them i drilled and replaced all the spikes with the metal replacement spikes and they work great now even with wheel spin.
Very interesting on doing that. I had wondered if someone would try just such a thing. From your post it sounds like you did a complete changeover vs just replacing those studs that could be burned off. As a price point.......how much money do you think you saved over the gen 4 version with that already installed?

What was your original purchase price (Maxtraxx gen3 original), and what price were the replacement studs vs a gen 4 already done? In your estimation, was it worth your time and effort to do the change-out upgrade. Did you save enough $$$, do you think. I have watched how a single stud was replaced, and how much effort was involved. That is why I ask :grinning:. Doing a stud upgrade could also work for those of us that use X-Bull/Orsich recovery boards and their clones.

You would be the first person, I have heard, that actually went and did this complete process. Kudo's on this as a project.:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Reactions: Horse Soldier

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I like a couple of 2'X8'X5' pieces of plastic decking. They are end cuts that were scrap. They are not fashionable, but they get me out of shit. They happen to be grey.

Reactions: Dilldog

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Very interesting on doing that. I had wondered if someone would try just such a thing. From your post it sounds like you did a complete changeover vs just replacing those studs that could be burned off. As a price point.......how much money do you think you saved over the gen 4 version with that already installed?

What was your original purchase price (Maxtraxx gen3 original), and what price were the replacement studs vs a gen 4 already done? In your estimation, was it worth your time and effort to do the change-out upgrade. Did you save enough $$$, do you think. I have watched how a single stud was replaced, and how much effort was involved. That is why I ask :grinning:. Doing a stud upgrade could also work for those of us that use X-Bull/Orsich recovery boards and their clones.

You would be the first person, I have heard, that actually went and did this complete process. Kudo's on this as a project.:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
I have a 1993 80 series tdi landcruiser with a 3inch lift on 35s arb GB with 12k warn winch and custom rb, the xbulls broke or snapped in half and the maxtraxxs just needed and upgrade. A guy that was stuck stripped off half my studs even after I told him to go slow, the upgrade was born out of not throwing away money because of stupid people. I have had the 2 pairs of boards since 2010. They are a bite in the wallet at first but long term I have gotten my money's worth.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've only needed my xbulls in deep soft sand, they have worked great the few times I have used them. Just don't spin the tires or you can heat the plastic and it wears off.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I have the Smittybuilt boards, the one time I used them they worked great. Honestly one of the reasons I like them so well was availability and price. I could afford them and they were in stock when I wanted them. Also I like the carry bag and how perfectly they fit in the cargo area of my Escape. I dont carry any of my gear on the outside of my rig so its important that they fit where I want them nicely, also the carry bag is nice as it gives me a chance at keeping my interior nice.
I will readily admit that I bought traction boards because I was lazy. I built traction boards for my old Toyota that doubled as side boards for the flat bed that were awesome. But for the Escape I was lazy, lol.